one of those days

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
treeclimber165

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
I put a limb through a shed roof yesterday. Hinged over a big lead out of a removal, it snagged a 2" limb in another tree and ripped it off. The broken limb fell butt first through the shed roof.
:( Only $40 for the new section of roof panel, but will involve a day between getting the sheet, installing the sheet, etc. The worst part is that I didn't see the crossed limb before cutting the lead. Luckily the customer is really cool about it.

Another oak I was supposed to remove on the same property was overhanging the neighbor's yard (about 85% of the top) and the neighbor didn't want the tree removed or any of us in his yard. The trunk going over his yard is 1/2 dead for about a 10' section 35'-45' up. The trunk is dead on top and solid on the bottom, and the top is cracked in several places. I had no other trees to tie into and no way to rope the huge limbs down without stressing the rotton trunk. Ended up coming down after an hour, couldn't figure it out. (The last time I gave up on a tree, I didn't climb again for 18 months) I felt really bad about having one stump me, but couldn't see doing it without a bucket.

These are/were both 85' laurel oaks, quite large for this area. 3'-4' DBH

Kevin

Kevin

Addicted to ArboristSite
This is how I started my morning ...
A large maple branch on the cable with the cable being higher than the break causing two forces, one down and one towards me on the tree.
This customer works in the lawn care business and was smart enough to leave it and not attempt to take it down on his own.

The day before I had a large dead tree topple over and land on the cable where it attaches to the pole.
The top remained on the stump.
The tree is about 2 1/2 ft.DBH and hollow.
It also houses a wasp nest!
Got the tree cut and dropped and when it hit the ground and exploded the wasps were not happy.
Thanks to the pouring rain I got the job done and got out without being stung.
:confused:

Greg

ArboristSite Guru
Brian, sounds like you did a very smart thing (walking away). I wouldn't want to work under those circumstances any way. 2 rules I try to live by: 1.Never work cheap -you will always regret it.
2. Don't climb risky trees.

I remeber once about 2 years ago I violated both of those rules. I was taking down a 65' Pecan right next to a house and fence for $400 with 1 helper and a trailer. When topping the tree I was scared to death that this small rotted out limb below me was going to cause the section I was tied into to break off and dump me out of the tree. It didn't but I remeber every second of that cut. I remember closing my eyes and holding on as the lowering line held the top and rocked the spar back and forth while I'm waiting to hear a crack. In retrospect that little limb was really not anything I would worry about today, not to mention that today I would have charged about $950 for that tree and would have had it on the ground in about 2 hours instead of the 2 days it took me.
Greg

murphy4trees

murphy4trees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Brian,
Any chance of setting up a speedline.. maybe without a control line ( to reduce shock).. and taking a bunch of small stuff to lighten it up?
Or setting a lowering line in an adjacent tree with the Big Shot..even if you don't have a good crotch to lower from, you could lower with a line set through some small branches and just take small stuff.
Then again.. maybe you could talk to the neighbor and explain how his position is making your job hard and dangerous.. and explain that the tree is on it's way out and has to go one way or another.. and bribe him with some freebies if necessary.
sometimes the people are harder to handle than the trees...
Good luck with this one.
God Bless All,
Daniel

Stumper

Stumper

One Man Band
I gather that if the neighbor wasn't being difficult you could just fell the tree? If so I agree that talking to them and trying to persuade them makes sense. If no luck i would be tempted to have a harmless 'accident'. I've never done that but some people tempt me. When I was a kid my dad had a call about storm damage. Turns out that a huge limb (I think dad estimated it at about 1500 lbs) had broken out and was hanging over the neighbor's roof. Dad gave a price which the customer agreed to and then Dad said that he would go speak to the neighbor about access since pieces would have to be lowered into his yard. Dad knocked on the neighbor's door and explained and the man said "NO". Dad explained "It will not cost you anything, your neighbor is paying for it and we will clean everything up.". Man said "NO". Dad asked ."But sir, it's hanging right over your house , it may fall in the next big wind. It won't cost you in any way. Why won't you let us take care of it?. The man replied(I am not kidding) " 'cause I'm a Pollack." and shut the door in my dad's face! Dad went back to the tree's owner and told him he couldn't do it and explained. The owner said " Well I hope it kills him and not his wife or kids".

treeclimber165

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
I got the shed fixed today. Only took about 2 hours, my DeWalt cordless drill and a tube of clear caulk. It would have been easier if the shed hadn't been locked. The customer wasn't home so I guess I'll find out tomorrow if everything is cool.

The guy I was climbing for is bringing in a lift tomorrow for the tree I wouldn't climb. The neighbor has been informed that it is coming down in his back yard one way or another.

I'll stop by to get my check and see how they do with it.

Latest posts