One of THOSE People

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I don't run into them very often because I'm usually in a back yard away from public scrutiny, however.....We were at my vet's today removing a dead white oak (previously topped, tipped and liontailed). Looked down at one point to see my favorite groundie talking to a woman, I figured her to be an employee. Turns out she was just passing by and needed an explanation of why this tree was being removed. I think I'll print Brian's list of "what we'd like to say" and use it as a handbill.

lady: "Why are you cutting down that nice tree?"
groundie: "It's dead, lady."
lady: "Can't you bring it back to life if you water it or something?"
groundie: "If your uncle Charlie dies, can we water him and bring him back to life?"
lady: "Oh..."

P.S.- 36" DBH in an 8' square cutout in the asphalt and concrete, not to mention a building standing on it's toes.

Originally posted by Dave
P.S.- 36" DBH in an 8' square cutout in the asphalt and concrete, not to mention a building standing on it's toes.

So what did you do AFTER lunch? :confused:

thats the kind of tight quarters we work in on a daily basis in brooklyn. your just lucky there were no sky lights under it,

I love the rigging aspect, have a 315 pound groundie who can handle three ropes at once (one in each hand, one in his teeth), just wish Doc had called me about three years ago, tree is as rotten as RI politics.

i feel the same way, the rigging aspect is what i really enjoy about tree work. some of those nasty dead tree's can not be done with out a good ground man on the ropes. i was in a nasty dead oak last week nothing as big as the one you were in. i had the luxury of tieing into a near by tree but mt legs were still shaking when i was taking the top out.

A big ground guy that can impact a line tight by dropping his weight on it; then maintain that until he gets it on a friction device if needed is really something else. Or one that can drop his weight on a control line just as load is tearing off can be quite powerfull strategy too. A hunter type with good eyes and timing; teach him what he can do with his weight, they do tend to find a 1/2" line a lil harder to grip; might look to 5/8" for long roping daze.

See, i don't hate all big peoples!!!:eek: i like big ground guys that the other guys can take wraps on!

Hmm, this Rog is still happy at 160, and the 335 only adds 7.5 lb.

Big Rog sounds great for pulling me up into a tree on a fixed pulley. I could finish off the coffee and doughnut on the way up....

Now using a big fella for a bollard, now that's a novel concept.......

..put it in yer book, silly fella!!

Originally posted by Dave
tree is as rotten as RI politics.

If you think politics are rotten in RI you should see them here at the federal level, and instead of lousing up a tiny state, they are screwing up a whole country!

I have to laugh at people that take offense to removals that obviously need to happen, especially for safety reasons. I spole earlier about a granola muncher in "The Glebe", Ottawa's trendy neighbourhood that lit in to me something wicked, originally thought I was from Ottawa Hydro. Did I not know that their neighbourhood was losing all its tree canopy???? This Manitoba Maple (junk variety) was rotten right through, and had been filled with concrete to try to arrest the decay I guess. I found it kind of nervy that she would have the balls to suggest that "she should have been consulted" when the homeowner who actually owned the tree had decided it was a hazard for their children to play in the back yard, and had this and a whole pile of other work done. She shut the * up pretty quick when I pointed out it was set to fall on her garage containing expensive Volvo and back yard.

Sounds like she's a "Muppy" - Misguided Urban Professional.

Volvo driving, probably short cropped blond hair, a soccer sticker on her rear window, drinks Avian bottled water, goes to health club to Jazzercize, married to a physician or lawyer, contributes meager donations to Save The Whales but doesn't have a grasp of the reality of the situation, thinks that by eating whole grains she'll avoid uterine cancer, is not too bad looking but her disposition makes her undesireable, and travels to the carribbean on holiday to tan her breasts at Hedonism 2 yet is appalled at the attention this brings. Is this who you're talking about??

I've got several clients like this - I knew offering 'alternative' disease treatments would bring them out of the closet and it's not too easy working for them.

It's a sub-culture but it's widespread. They believe they aren't the "mainstream" but they remind me of stepford wives there's so many of them. I wonder if they everthought about the volume of bottled water they consume may well dry the source of the springs in France? How's that for responsible green behavior?

Originally posted by oakwilt
Sounds like she's a "Muppy" - Misguided Urban Professional.

Volvo driving, probably short cropped blond hair, a soccer sticker on her rear window, drinks Avian bottled water, goes to health club to Jazzercize, married to a physician or lawyer, contributes meager donations to Save The Whales but doesn't have a grasp of the reality of the situation, thinks that by eating whole grains she'll avoid uterine cancer, is not too bad looking but her disposition makes her undesireable, and travels to the carribbean on holiday to tan her breasts at Hedonism 2 yet is appalled at the attention this brings. Is this who you're talking about??

Yup that's her. LOL

I thought so.

Because oak wilt is so prevelant in our state, many neighborhood associations have organized around the issue. Hundreds of meetings are held, most to hear the options available and decide by group effort the best methods to employ. Because I work with alternative to chemical means to address the issue, I'm generally one of the speakers and inevitably I get jobs for treatments. The "green people" mostly, they like the non-toxic approach so I tend to most of the "Muppies" trees.

What I notice more often than not is in spite of the buzz-words and lifestyles and habits of these Avian-drinking all-natural soccer mom trophy wives who tout natural living, most have had breast enhancements, use Round-up weed killer to keep an artificial turf green, lather-on the Deet insect repellent (misquito bites are ugly), and drive not just Volvos, but gas-guzzling Chevy 4wd Suburbans. They have recycling bins for their plastic bottles but get so many mail-order glossy fashion designer catalogs that can't be recycled. They consume more electricity per capita than poorer people because they have R/O water filters, misting fragrance and sleep machines plugged in, exercise equipment like powered treadmills, kitchen appliances like mixers, juicers, gourmet refridgerators and stoves, ceiling fans, and bathroom personal beauty enhancement devices, least to mention a hot-tub bubbling away night and day and a tanning bed in the exercise room. They also like rare exotic food stuffs that are in deminishing supply, Salmon roe, harp seal fur and alligator designer clothing assessories.

Green consumers? More like conspicuous consumption machines and they think that by making hazardous tree removals more difficult for you (cause you're destroying the planet) they are saving the earth. Wonder how many trees were sacrificed to print those L.L. Bean catalogs?

Oh well, at least they are good eye candy for us burley tree dudes. In their best dreams only, have saw will climb.

Glad you got the hazard down,

Reed

I couldn't NOT comment on this thread. I tried not to...

Manitoba Maple! Yes! What a name for a boxelder!

OK...my mom drives a Volvo and 4WD Suburban. She now has blonde hair. :p Sends the kids to school with Lunchables. Loves her L.L. Bean and Lands End.

Of course our lawn is weed-free! We're landscapers! We fog for the mosquitos. Doesn't everyone have a refridgerator and stove and ceiling fan? I'm not sure what the point of this was. I thought we had a fairly normal life considering everyone is whacked in some way.

One of the threads I missed out on this summer...

oakie

Oakwilt, I did not see this post previously, but was laughing when I came to it today. Darn near every time I come to something you say I slow down and read it now. I am gonna guess, you have a lifetime membership to the NRA, you have an AR-15, 4wd is not an option, there are more than 1 security cameras at your house, no one in your family has ever, or will collect govermental aid at least without a complete b***ing out from you, you have shirts older than your kids, you or your signifigant other knows how to mend or sew, your book collection includes: how to live off trhe land v 1 &2, how to make your own meat clothes shelter transportation paper, , periodicals include G&A, The good earth, and science digest. Just my guesses. No insult intended, this pretty much describes most of my ow family. JB

Back