One saw you wished you owned but don't.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I really want one saw in particular, not for power, or because it is known to be the best or anything along those lines. But back since I can ever remember my father was running a stihl 038 magnum. I really personally liked the look, feel, and power it did have but the real reason I want one is because i remember going in the woods with him and cutting fire wood. This was back when I was probably 7 or so and knew nothing about saws other than, stay away from him while he is cutting, and that they are too dangerous to let me try, even under his supervision. To make a long story short when I got to be 17 I was running a few different saws I horse traded for people to sell fire wood, well my saw got stolen, so this was a turning point for me, he gave me the 038, unfortunately i only got to use it a few times before the cans of gas got mixed up and she ran no longer. not knowing anything i sold it to buy a new one. Well now that I fix up saws as a hobby, I really want another 038 magnum. I would pretty much do anything to get my hands on one that was blown up, running, or enough pieces to make another one. It kind of has sentimental value, which many of my personal saws do. Those are the only ones I would keep. Thats my i would never sell my 015 and 028 as well.

Sorry for the long message

Well I really want one saw in particular, not for power, or because it is known to be the best or anything along those lines. But back since I can ever remember my father was running a stihl 038 magnum. I really personally liked the look, feel, and power it did have but the real reason I want one is because i remember going in the woods with him and cutting fire wood. This was back when I was probably 7 or so and knew nothing about saws other than, stay away from him while he is cutting, and that they are too dangerous to let me try, even under his supervision. To make a long story short when I got to be 17 I was running a few different saws I horse traded for people to sell fire wood, well my saw got stolen, so this was a turning point for me, he gave me the 038, unfortunately i only got to use it a few times before the cans of gas got mixed up and she ran no longer. not knowing anything i sold it to buy a new one. Well now that I fix up saws as a hobby, I really want another 038 magnum. I would pretty much do anything to get my hands on one that was blown up, running, or enough pieces to make another one. It kind of has sentimental value, which many of my personal saws do. Those are the only ones I would keep. Thats my i would never sell my 015 and 028 as well.

Sorry for the long message

That wasn't long at all! :D

I want a JRed 820 for the same type of reason. I bought it used from a local logger when I was 16 and used it until it was stolen a few years later. :cry: I used to leave it in my Mom's shed as by that time I was working on the rail. When I needed it I would go and pick it up, and even got to use it in a few different towns cutting firewood with some of the local guys that I had met through work. One time I went to get it and it was nowhere to be found. :confused:

That was my first saw and quite the step up from the axe and swede saw that I had previously used to cut firewood. If I ever come across one and the timing is right (i.e. if I can afford to buy it ... lol) I will buy it just so that I have an 820 again. :D

That wasn't long at all! :D

I want a JRed 820 for the same type of reason. I bought it used from a local logger when I was 16 and used it until it was stolen a few years later. :cry: I used to leave it in my Mom's shed as by that time I was working on the rail. When I needed it I would go and pick it up, and even got to use it in a few different towns cutting firewood with some of the local guys that I had met through work. One time I went to get it and it was nowhere to be found. :confused:

That was my first saw and quite the step up from the axe and swede saw that I had previously used to cut firewood. If I ever come across one and the timing is right (i.e. if I can afford to buy it ... lol) I will buy it just so that I have an 820 again. :D

When I was 16 I met an old FBI agent that became a very good friend. He was into forestry and he was the first person who really gave me a chance to prove myself to be a hard worker, he was one of those people who gave kids a chance before jumping to the conclusion of them being lazy and so on. Well when i started running my shop out of my house, he brought me a box of parts including a entire torn down 015av. He was a major influence on trying to get me to find something I was passionate about and running with it. He was a hard A$$ but with very good intentions. Well I put it back together and it came out mint! When I went to give it back, he said, keep it. Thats your first job, and the payment is, it's yours. To this day I will not sell that saw. I have had lots of offers but in the end, it means to much. I use it now and then but it really just sits on the shelf above my bench. I think sometimes those type of saws are the most enjoyable.

Last edited:
Maybe a stihl 090g, something big to turn some long bars here at high altitude.

I almost want my 460 back, but its still in production... for a while at least.

saw wish

2095 jred. sold mine too pay a bill:cry: best fallin saw i ever had:clap: she could pull a 36" bar and full skip no prob:greenchainsaw:
:givebeer:
:popcorn:
:givebeer:

I have most of the legends that I lusted after when I started collecting. However there are still a few out there that have not come home yet. For instance, a homie 2100 or 8-29, a dolmar 166 or CT, a poulan pro 655, a J-Red 111s or a mac pm850 would warm the cockles of my heart and have a place reserved on the shelves already. Also anything with a westbend 820 in it. Although theoretically the 820 westbend motor is still in production with U.S. Motor Power. I would be happy to own any of these that I don't have yet.

Last edited:
None. I have my brand new 056m2

na na na na na na na na na na

etc...:greenchainsaw:

I'd probably develop split personality disorder if I had that saw. The inner battle between how much I love cuttin with those magII's vs. how bad I would want to keep it pristine would break my fragile mind right in two.

Latest posts

Back