One saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dolmar 7900 (or makita with bbk) :msp_biggrin:
or a 036pro w/20in B&C

I only had one saw for awhile. The MS290, and it's done everything I've asked of it. Mine is 7 years old, and only needed new chains.

People rag on them, but they are big enough for everything around here, and dirt reliable.

One saw, and one saw only, and of the saws I have owned or run- an 036. I might give the nod to a 562 if I had run one. A 262 would be very close behind the 036, but it weighs close to a 3/4 pound more and that adds up with the type of limbing I do.

If you had to pick only one saw to do everything you do, what saw would you pick?

Well you need to qualify a few things first to more effectively solicit an answer, unless you simply wanted to started a Dodge-vs-Chevy debate...

1. What budget are you on? If you're on a $200 budget, you'll have to do some garage saling... If it's a $1200 one, that opens A LOT of possibilities and you could easily have a 3 (Used) saw plan...

2. What wood do you *Realistically* intend to harvest 95% of the time (Hard/soft and avg width)... If it's smaller mixed (4-20") any good 50-60cc size saw will be great and not work you to death. If you're looking at bigger than 20" on a regular basis and/or HARD wood, (Osage Orange or HEDGE for example), you want a saw with some balls to it. Give us an idea of your intended usage/budget and we'll steer you straight. Otherwise I vote for a MAC SP125C!!!
-Cheers!

My thoughts probably won’t apply to everyone. I cut only on my property, so I can cut whenever feel like, for as long as I feel like… and I can leave the cut stuff lay for as long as I feel like without needing to worry it’ll disappear.

I don’t like heavy saws, and got rid of them several years ago. My current, one-and-only is a 20-some year old 026, and with the two bars (16 & 20) I’ve been able to turn anything I wanted into firewood… oaks approaching 4 ft diameter, including the felling. I find it’s the perfect saw for anything up to about 24-inches, because 80% of the tree will be somewhat smaller than that. Admittedly it’s small for the big stuff, but with a bit of fore-planning and a razor-sharp chain I get it done without beating myself up.

Believe it or not, if I was to buy a second saw today, it’d be something smaller than my 026… something lighter yet with a top-handle and put a 10-inch bar on it. Making firewood is enough work... I don't wanna' be lugging anymore weight in the saw than I absolutely have to. Sure, there are times when something in the 70+cc range would be nice, but even on the really big trees it's just the trunk that seems overwhelming... the 026 is just right for near everything above the main crotch (IMHO).

Wow, this is a tough one for me to answer! In the past, it would have been a 372 or 440/460 hybrid. I've really taken a liking to the 390 though. It just more of the same nastiness in a 372, without a lot more bulk and weight.

On the other hand, a hot 346 or 261 have that same nasty attitude and will do so much. However, there are plenty of times when I need a bigger saw.

Being the power junky that I am, I think I'd have to go with the 390XP. It has that required nasty demeanor, plenty of RPMs, and plenty of torque.

I'm down to one saw right now myself. The 372xpw ported serves the purpose for me for 20"-32".

One saw... blasphemy!

I would pick my ported 372 as my only saw as well. I've run up to 34" bars without issue on it, it's a nasty little beast.

Good thread - something I've thought about quite a bit. However, it does need to be qualified as to the intended purpose. For me it's firewood gathering on my own property, and wood is my only heat source other than a couple of space heaters. Generally I find an 18" bar does the vast majority of anything I would need. I would probably pick my 42cc Craftsman, which is a Wild Thing with A/V (pretty much a PP260). It's got plenty of power, it's dead solid reliable, and there are a billion parts saws out there as well as bars and chains. It's not the lightest, it's kind of wide, it's not fancy, but it always gets the job done. And it's pretty fuel efficient.

I'd say it's not my favorite saw, as the others are more fun, lighter, faster, etc. - but then again it's hard not to like a tool that works so well. Having used the non-A/V version as my only saw for many years, I know it would do everything I require. Further, if the economy and global trade go as I expect them to, having one of the most common saws ever made will allow me to keep it running for a long time - another big advantage to me and a additional reason I will never get rid of it.

Stihl 044 for real but If I could choose one saw it would be a mcculloch 3-10 E. :chainsawguy:

i built a like new 660 last winter and traded it off for a tractor because i didn't think i'd use it very often...however i use the tractor all the time.

That's a great swap!

Ya, saws get the work done, but tractors GET THE WORK DONE.

A 50-60 cc saw, any brand really. The kind that start easy and run reliably, that brand. Going larger than that would be a pita for a one saw plan, waste fuel and bar oil and be heavy for doing smaller wood. I do just as much small wood as I do larger wood. I have to a lot of edge of the field clearing, and I just couldn't see using some 70-90 cc saw to flush cut saplings. You have to be able to actually bend over and get that bar parallel to the ground.

ha! I can see some of the big boys here saying "wall, I'll just stick me a 32 on that 90 ported and not have to bend over and.." All they would be doing is cutting a buncha pointy punji stakes right where you want to drive the tractor when mowing. If it ain't flat, it's a hazard.

And 50-60 cut all the dang firewood you would ever need, larger stuff, take your time, make correct cuts, that's all.

But that's for my purposes only, my opinion. I used to try and get by with a much smaller saw, but it limited me too much. I run some larger now, but only when I feel like it, I mostly always grab my 56cc old poulan for a lot of stuff. Most likely if I owned say a 346xp, that would be my choice based on thousands of posts about that saw I have read here.

My 064 would be the last saw to leave this place.

25" does everything from limbing to ripping down fence posts.

Can't argue with displacement.

Well, I have a shop full of saws, from a 1984 Husky rancher to a Stihl 066, with a poulan 4218 thrown into the mix. One saw, most reliable would have to be an older Husky 55. My rancher 50 is still running, although getting weak. Low compression and parts not available anymore, the vent on the oil reservoir leaks all over the place. But it started and cut when my Stihl 031 had to have a tuneup or something every spring. The 045 and 066 are more saw than needed most of the time. I do like the Husky 61s, but like I said, my longest running and most dependable go to saws are the Husky 50-51-55 series. And call me old, but I cannot get my head around plastic cases. I will be rebuilding my Huskies when needed, as they serve my needs well.

Out of the saws I currently own I'd pick either my Stihl 028 Super, or my Husqvarna 261 with a Meteor flat top.

And yes, they have both been through MasterEmubes shop..........:clap:

Latest posts

Back