Online Classes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

underwor

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Howdy fellas.

I don't get around very often since I retired from full time teaching, but still enjoy an occasional visit. Thought I would post my quarterly notice about online classes offered by Dakota College at Bottineau, (formerly MSU-Bottineau, NDSU-Bottineau, and ND School of Forestry).
Well, this semester is just about over. Ends on the 18th of December. So far it looks like mostly A and B grades. That is one of the great things about my online students. Most all are working in the field already or very interested in getting into it, so they study hard. Some do wait until the last couple weeks before they turn in their tests, but some were done about 6 weeks ago also, so it balances out the load a bit. After the semester is over, I hope some of the regulars on Arboristsite who have been studying hard give me their two bits on what I can do to improve things. I am still learning too. That is why I am lurking around here occasionally. Even when we don't agree with a comment, it makes us think and that is good.

If any of you are interested in the next semester's classes you can check out the offerings at http://www.dakotacollege.edu/onlineurbanforestry.shtml . This next semester we are offering Arboriculture, Urban Forestry Management, and Sports Turf Management.

The mean old teacher!!

I will put my two cents worth in.

I have been studying on-line with Prof Underwood for two years now. Started out taking the Arboriculture class as a way to really study and work through Harris' Arboriculture: An Integrated Management of Trees, Shrubs and Vines.

I got hooked. What a fabulous way for someone like me for whom attending on campus classes is simply not an option. And there is nothing like structured schooling to really force or enable you to focus (depending on your personality). So the ability to further my education on-line has been a god send.

Sylvia

Hello Professor Underwood,

It would not be the only reason I look into these courses further, but:
do I earn ISA CEU's upon completion of a course?

RedlineIt

Yes you can get CEU's It has been quite a while since I had a student do this. I will try to find the letter I got from ISA many years ago about how many per class, but I think it was quite a few. You might check with your local certification guru. If you find out more before I do, let me know.

You never asked me about this Sylvia. Did you already know about it and take advantage? I had forgotten, since I dropped my certification. I used to get CEU's for teaching the classes.

Yes you can get CEU's...You never asked me about this Sylvia. Did you already know about it and take advantage?

Yes, I did and do. :) You get 10 CEUs per semester credit. So a 3 unit class will gain you 30 CEUs.

You can access the Post Approval Form through the ISA website by going into their managing CEU section. It is listed here:

http://www.isa-arbor.com/certification/ceus.aspx

Sylvia

I will be giving you a call as soon as I can Prof. Underwood. I have limited learning resources here and anything is really helpful.

Outside of Dakota College at Bottineau, ND has a somewhat limited base of educational opportunities. One reason these classes were set up. Good to hear from you. Had a student a few years back from Thermopolis area, have no idea what he is up to now.

Well, it looks like in response to my postings, I will have about 5 more minds to warp next semester. The rest of you folks can look forward to their posts asking you if you think that what they think I think I know is what they should also be thinking or if you all think I am thinking wrong. Either way, we can all end up somewhere between being totally confused and learning a lot.

More victims, er students, are welcome.

Well, it looks like in response to my postings, I will have about 5 more minds to warp next semester. The rest of you folks can look forward to their posts asking you if you think that what they think I think I know is what they should also be thinking or if you all think I am thinking wrong. Either way, we can all end up somewhere between being totally confused and learning a lot.

More victims, er students, are welcome.

Make it 6 been lookig around for this and well you here you are.
Thanks for the post.

I have been looking for online schools, accredited, that take GI Bill, it's the only way I can afford it. UMASS doesn't do anything online, so if anoyone knows for sure that an online school takes GI BILL, let me know.

Treecutr, I don't know the answer to your question specifically. But here is a link that might provide some insight.

http://www.dakotacollege.edu/online.shtml

The "military students" link may be what you need. It is in the menu on the left a ways down. It does say "GI benefits" and "reduced tuition" for some courses. Good luck.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my classes with Prof Bob and, like many, on-line education was my only opportunity for further education.

Sylvia

Tree cutter, I am pretty sure some of my other students have used the GI Bill. Get hold of [email protected]. and she can tell you for sure. She is the GI person, recently out of the military herself.

Many of my students are also with NRCS. Most classes are approved for the continuing ed that they need.

Last edited:
Well, classes start next Monday. If you have signed up, you should have received log in information, or will this week yet. If you do not have any by monday, let me know.

For those who haven't signed up yet, there is still about another week or two when classes can be added.

See you, Bob

Back