Ontario ice storm 2013

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is one of many properties that we've been working on! In the country, in the City everywhere got it! Supposed to get more freezing rain tonight, snow and high winds tomorrow and temps going to -26 again with the wind chill! Yee haw

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    766.3 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    705.1 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 31
:chop:Some pics from yesterday, last tree of the day-29 with the windchill! I toom one for the team, black cherry with tops blown out. Nastiest weather i've ever climbed in! We got er done though! Day started out around -2 and temps plummeted after that! Took today off -39 with windchill and a crapload of more snow!

Attachments

• acton 4.jpg
    acton 4.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 21
  • acton job 3.jpg
    acton job 3.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 21
  • acton job.jpg
    acton job.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 20
  • acton2.JPG
    acton2.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 21
These turds were working across from us today.....nice PPE eh? Nothing at all, helmets, chainsaw pants, glasses. One numpty was trying to stuff an 8" log through the little BC600! lol No traffic cones out, chips flying allover and out of the truck with no top. Very professional!

Attachments

• PPE.JPG
    PPE.JPG
    271.8 KB · Views: 48
How anyone can use
These turds were working across from us today.....nice PPE eh? Nothing at all, helmets, chainsaw pants, glasses. One numpty was trying to stuff an 8" log through the little BC600! lol No traffic cones out, chips flying allover and out of the truck with no top. Very professional!

How anyone can use a chipper without safety glasses is beyond me. I wear a helmet, glasses, gloves, ear plugs and helmet ear muffs over them. (I like my peace and quiet.)

Probably a landscaping company looking for some storm damage money and they rented the chipper. That`s my guess.

Took yesterday off from climbing (too cold and windy). Went and bid a whack load of jobs in the city. Back at it today, removing two damaged ash trees in Ajax. Worked into the dark. - noticed the daylight is staying later :)

Up early tomorrow and heading to Woodbridge to do some removals and some more storm damaged trees for a builder. Should be there a couple of days.

Can't believe the forecast for Saturday. 8C (46F) with 15-20mm (1/2-3/4") of rain.

Crazy eh! Everything is going to melt, plus the rain, then who knows Monday could be -40 again. It could cause A LOT of problems. Possibly more storm work?? Do we need more? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

How anyone can use

How anyone can use a chipper without safety glasses is beyond me. I wear a helmet, glasses, gloves, ear plugs and helmet ear muffs over them. (I like my peace and quiet.)

Probably a landscaping company looking for some storm damage money and they rented the chipper. That`s my guess.
Depending on the materiel,I will loose the petzl and grab the brush helmet. Have had locust and ash try to pull my glasses off. Also have had all PPE on and had a piece flip hard on me as it was going thru, hit me in da mouf and busted a toof. I like that screen as extra protection...............ya know, to keep looking as good as I do............... what a Joke huh! Those scaper/hacks have Iowa tags? I swear u guys keep posting pics of the locals!

Saw a crew working in a nice part of Toronto in the Avenue Rd/ Lawrence area. Beautiful tree dropped a bunch of big branches on the roof. So I parked the car and watched the climber as he moved around the tree. Always cool to watch professionals at work.

Depending on the materiel,I will loose the petzl and grab the brush helmet. Have had locust and ash try to pull my glasses off. Also have had all PPE on and had a piece flip hard on me as it was going thru, hit me in da mouf and busted a toof. I like that screen as extra protection...............ya know, to keep looking as good as I do............... what a Joke huh! Those scaper/hacks have Iowa tags? I swear u guys keep posting pics of the locals!

I always end up busting the plastic connectors that hold the screen to the helmet. So no screen here. But after thousands of hours on chippers, I`m pretty good at reading the wood going in and I can anticipate kickbacks and swings. That said, I`ve had my helmet smacked right off my noggin`more than once, and taken many a ka-thwack. And those little skinny ends of the beech branches that whip you as the piece feeds in. **** that hurts! :mad:

Weather-wise were up to +8 and tons of rain on Saturday. Not sure about freezing rain. We`ll see. So far the last couple of storms, including those with freezing rain have resulted in exactly zero emergency calls. Then again I should be careful what I wish for.

Half an hour and off to my next roof.

Took yesterday off from climbing (too cold and windy). Went and bid a whack load of jobs in the city. Back at it today, removing two damaged ash trees in Ajax. Worked into the dark. - noticed the daylight is staying later :)

Up early tomorrow and heading to Woodbridge to do some removals and some more storm damaged trees for a builder. Should be there a couple of days.
Ha ha, yeah Tuesday and Weds were wickedly cold Chuck. There is no end to this storm work, could be over a year or more to get the GTA back to normal.

Saw a crew working in a nice part of Toronto in the Avenue Rd/ Lawrence area. Beautiful tree dropped a bunch of big branches on the roof. So I parked the car and watched the climber as he moved around the tree. Always cool to watch professionals at work.
We were down there in that same area yesterday also, that's where I took that pic.

Well the quoting we did on Tuesday is paying off. Got a approval on a few insurance jobs and picked up some other residential work as well.

I think the wife is actually starting to miss me :rolleyes:

Gotta love the thaw then freeze technique Mother Nature likes to use. Stay safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Yoyo continental/mental climate! Does a number to our roads and highways. Ottawa says they will need to fill many tens of thousands of potholes and that is just a start.

Late winter 2014. A few feet of snow on the ground outside my window. Temps going to the minus teens (*C) this coming week!

Latest posts

Back