Onto the third generation with Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THALL10326

The Champ
Reaction score
Everyone in the biz at one time or another wondered what would ever happen if Peter Stihl stepped down from the company. Many said it would be the end of a era, some said thats when Stihl would join others and go net and box store. Even that fear was real back in 1985, some 25 years ago, when Stihl had to re-assure everyone that under his control that would not happen and to date it hasn't. At age 80 he's decided to hand over the controls of the company his father founded and passed down to him. Like his father before him he nows hands over the controls to his son. Look like Stihl is gonna remain Stihl for many years to come.

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. –ANDREAS STIHL AG & Co. KG, founding company of STIHL Inc. and a leading worldwide manufacturer of handheld outdoor power equipment, announced that Dr. Nikolas Stihl will succeed his father, Hans Peter Stihl, as the chairman of the advisory board of STIHL HOLDING AG & Co. KG effective June 30, 2012. The elder Mr. Stihl, who succeeded his father and company founder Andreas Stihl, has served the company for the past half century. He made it clear that the change was part of the company’s succession planning, “This will ensure that STIHL remains a family-owned company and will retain its character as a medium-sized enterprise in the future, too.”

Fred J. Whyte, president of STIHL Inc. based in Virginia Beach, Va., said the STIHL Group has been extremely fortunate to have had Hans Peter Stihl at the helm for so many years. “Under his guidance, the company has grown dramatically and continues to pursue a strategy of technological innovation, product quality, and dedication to a unique, disciplined, distribution model,” said Whyte. Citing that the company was following business as usual, Whyte added, “Succession planning is vital to the health of any successful business, so it comes as no surprise that a plan has been in place for family-owned business continuity at STIHL HOLDING AG & Co. KG.”

Dr. Nikolas Stihl, an engineer like his father, is well-positioned and prepared for his new role as chairman of the advisory board. Since 1993, he has been managing director of the Austrian garden tool manufacturer VIKING, a STIHL subsidiary and one of the leading companies in the garden power tool industry in the European market. He will resign as managing director on March 31, 2011 in order to prepare himself for the new position.

Hans Peter Stihl, who will celebrate his 80th birthday in April of 2012, joined his father’s business as assistant to the board in 1960 and, soon after, assumed responsibility for manufacturing and design. In 1966, he became a member of the board of management and was responsible for development, manufacturing and purchasing. He became general partner alongside his father in 1971. Following the death of his father, he took over management of the family company in 1973 and, together with his sister Eva Mayr-Stihl and, from 1978, his brother Dr. Rüdiger Stihl, expanded it into a group of companies with an international structure. Since 1995, the group has operated under a holding company, whose general partner is and will remain Hans Peter Stihl.

lets hope he has as much backbone as his father and grandfather.
it would be sad to see such a great product go down the tubes like many other great products. it's good to have integrity.

Well it do appear that boy of Stihl has been making some Stihl for Stihl, I'll be dayummm..

attachment.php

The battery powered tools soon coming out are made over at Viking, by a Stihl owned company for the Stihl company, slick operators indeed...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The new guy soon to run the show looks sassy, maybe he will join the Arb Site,LOLOLOLOL

shhhhhh! keep quiet on the muffler mod stuff...:givebeer:

LOL, good one. I been reading up on that cat and his ideas about dealer only sales and service after the sale are in line with his pappy. Haven't found what he thinks of muffler mods yet though,hahaha

That battery-powered garden equipment is becoming more prevalent in Europe as emissions standards tighten over there. A friend I went to school with now lives in Austria and he only has two gas powered machines, a saw and a tiller. Everything else is electric or battery.

hopefully they do bring them, our stihl pressure wsher sh#t the bed the other dy. Stupid keybord broke, now some letters dont work.

LOLOL, goodie. I hope he leaves those dayuummm mowers overthere, last thing I want to piddle with is a lawnmower. Working on them dayumm things is worse than sharpening chains, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

A few years back I recomended to my guys at Stihl that Stihl should put out some drills, saws and other corded tools to compete with Dewalt, Milwaukee and Makita. The answer I got was hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, no, we are a primary 2cycle outdoor power tool company. With the crackdown on full force now with climate BS and EPA maybe this new guy, since he seems to be in battery power, will consider such tools, we shall see......

LOLOL, goodie. I hope he leaves those dayuummm mowers overthere, last thing I want to piddle with is a lawnmower. Working on them dayumm things is worse than sharpening chains, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

A few years back I recomended to my guys at Stihl that Stihl should put out some drills, saws and other corded tools to compete with Dewalt, Milwaukee and Makita. The answer I got was hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, no, we are a primary 2cycle outdoor power tool company. With the crackdown on full force now with climate BS and EPA maybe this new guy, since he seems to be in battery power, will consider such tools, we shall see......

just like my suggestion for snow blower ttchment for the mm55, i got big one big NO the guys @ northest stihl.

just like my suggestion for snow blower ttchment for the mm55, i got big one big NO the guys @ northest stihl.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm I think I'll steal that idea and run with it, I got a connection with the high ups. Don't worry Blood I'm a fair man, if they bring it out I'll have them say it was my idea and that it just came to me, see I'm giving you full credit,LOL

when is stihl going to make sowing machines like husky?

Sow" ing machines???

I am afraid that poor "Tommy" has been been absorbed by the "Borg",
or Bjorg!!!!, and all he can do now is make "Pro Stihl" posts and threads.

If one would see a current pic of him, we would see the shaved head, and
those "bobbed" skinhead ears....

That is why I failed my last Stihl test.....

I, well, um, just had a problem with a "Master" chainsaw race..........

There I said it!!!!!!!!!!!

They can send all of the assault teams out of Va. to Ky.........

They won't get too far......

They won't get past Pikeville........

Latest posts

Back