Ooops! Took it down and put it back up?!?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bclure

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Took the top third off this post, it fell straight down and stuck in the ground hard enough so that I needed to notch it and fell it all over again. I wonder if the homeowner noticed that there was a "new" stump??

bclure

Urban tree worker class...is how many years does it take to complete......? and what degree, or cert. do they have at the end of it?

UTW Class

Most of our Trainees go through in a Year or so. Ages run from 15 to 24. with the time to receive their HS diploma or GED, if they have it ,could be 8 Months. On completion they are ready for the ISA CTW test. Kelly here is 20

Last edited:
Job Corps

Job Corps is a GOV training program this one is run by the US Forest Service, $00 cost to the student + they give a small stiffen and up to a $1000.00 and a complete set of gear(rope saddle,flip line & handsaw) on completion

Next Tree Workers

James P is now a working CTW, Mike is also working. We have 124 Job Corps centers around the US and 6 that teach the Urban Tree Worker trade. They come in just like on the job not knowing their A$% from a hole in the ground and leave as working entry level climbers able to sharpen chain saws,a bit of Rigging , Trimming some removal skills, Tree ID, Cabling, Chippers , stumper's( at least our Vermeer 630B) and Bucket Truck I wish I had know en about JC when I was a working foreman in IL. I had to do the Same things & teach the same stuff and make Production$$$
View attachment 58456

View attachment 58457

View attachment 58458 Eric D he'll be at TCIA in Nov.

Last edited:
Thats great set up...good way to get in the industry too...kinda wish i could have gone through a program my self...

I started learning by doing....read a ton, and still do, worked for a local arborist...and kind of have gone from there.

I think it being free too is a awesome set up, and you know your teaching the proper way...so the dont start off in the industry with bad habits.

One though i wish i could get experince with is a bucket truck...that is one thing i have never worked with...and have wanted to since i was a kid....

Looking at job corps...they have a wide spread of trades they offer, good see...nothing like this is offered in high school any more...well atleast where i went to school..San Diego, there was a couple schools that had a auto shop, but that was it.

Ooops!Took it Down and put it back up

I do enjoy it . I had real good teachers when I started in March of 1980. I had the truck licensed but had now even seen a chipper. I still try to be as good as they were. We follow all of the ANSI standards, Safety is paramount and that is a hard thing here in Arkansas, to many Hillbilly Tree Co. ( you know have saw will travel). Most in the phone book still advertise Topping. I least the Grads we send out have been taught the right way, what they do after is up to them. I have the same odds I had on the job with someone staying with it, 2 out 10 may still be doing tree work years later. We have a center in Ya hats OR. southern IL. Pine Knot KY. Great Onyx KY and up in Vermont.

Safety is a big one, i do know what you mean with the hillbillys....dont have that problem so much where i am from...normall "Jose" who cuts lawns, has an extension latter and a old homelite chain saw...not trying to be racist or anything in any way...but its true.

Topping still seems to be a problem everywhere...I live in Sonoma county now, and often visit in the davis/sac. area....everywhere i look primarily residental areas, trees are topped everywhere...

Just on a run the other day, saw 3 more threes getting topped...i wanted to go knock on the door and explain what they were doing to there trees.

Through Job Corps...are dorms something that are offered for a fee...or if someone come from out of the area they just find an apartment or something??

Latest posts

Back