Oops... Is the big air filter kit from baileys for the dcs 6401 worth it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseyjeff

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I know, I know, I should have been happy with my redmax 4500, but I have been keeping my eye peeled for something bigger, and I walked up to the rental counter today at home creapo and asked what they had in back. They debate for a bit and produce a really rough looking (but turning over) dcs 6401, they hand me a new air filter, new chain, (anti kickback, because it is safety first there) and a new bar out the door for 100. Suweet...

the air filter cover is cracked, but the rest of the saw looks good. I am going to but the bb kit from baileys on it, and have the big saw I cant afford to be without, so I will be in the 45/84 club instead of the 50/90...

I can get a new (used) filter cover on fleabay for about 15 or I can get the baileys big filterkit for 99, but I have not seen any reviews for the big filter kit... and on a side note, what is the biggest bar one would run on a 84 cc dolkita? 24? 27?

Jeff

I know, I know, I should have been happy with my redmax 4500, but I have been keeping my eye peeled for something bigger, and I walked up to the rental counter today at home creapo and asked what they had in back. They debate for a bit and produce a really rough looking (but turning over) dcs 6401, they hand me a new air filter, new chain, (anti kickback, because it is safety first there) and a new bar out the door for 100. Suweet...

the air filter cover is cracked, but the rest of the saw looks good. I am going to but the bb kit from baileys on it, and have the big saw I cant afford to be without, so I will be in the 45/84 club instead of the 50/90...

I can get a new (used) filter cover on fleabay for about 15 or I can get the baileys big filterkit for 99, but I have not seen any reviews for the big filter kit... and on a side note, what is the biggest bar one would run on a 84 cc dolkita? 24? 27?

Jeff

As a rule the original top is considered the best. The aftermarkets often require some caressing to come on top. Bar length totally depends if you want to run a skip chain or regular chain. As far as I have understood 32 is possible without to much hassle. It is even listed on the hp. The big filter is recomended for very dry/dusty cutting conditions(Australia not Austria ;) or dull chain).

I would run it as is and then deside if you really need a bigger saw.

Good luck!

Actually you already had great luck finding a great deal like that! Congratulation! :msp_thumbup:

BAR LENGTH

As a general consensus, the oiler is not strong enough to use beyond a 28" bar with that family of chainsaws.

Air Filter

The big HD air filter gives you certain inalienable bragging rights.

I have a couple 7900's with the HD filters and a 24"/28" bars. I am very pleased with them. They are stock with the OEM cylinders.
I bought the HD filters from the local dealer.

Dolmar7900HDrtft-1.jpg

Dolmar7900HDrr-1.jpg

Jeff
Go for the fleabay cover, and put the saved money into an OEM 7900 cylinder kit. The 84cc kit needs extensive porting work to perform better than the OEM 7900.

+1 on the standard air filter.

I put a HD filter on mine and the filter element fell apart after only a few hours use... by the time I realised my new 7900 had ingested a bunch of saw dust, so definitely keep an eye on it if you do get one.

Go for the fleabay cover, and put the saved money into an OEM 7900 cylinder kit. The 84cc kit needs extensive porting work to perform better than the OEM 7900.

The hd filter looks sweet, but it sounds like the oem one will be fine for my needs, but now, with the 84 cc kit in my baileys shopping cart I hear there is an oem 7900 kit. Porting is way above my skill level, and I can live without 5 cc. but I cant seem to find it online at baileys. Is that a dealer only sort of thing?

Unless you are milling or a pro using it every day I would say the HD filter kit is overkill, and ugly IMHO.

My HD 6401 is wearing a stock filter and an OEM 7900 top end.

Here's the PN; Cylinder Assembly (52mm) for Dolmar 6400, 7300, 7900 and Makita 6401, 7301, 7901
Item # DM 038130031

Latest posts

Back