Open port cylinder grinding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s an awesome idea. I had some great side conversation with lightning performance and I think I will be doing exactly what you suggest. That would be cool to see and it would be good information for the masses.
I’ve always wanted to get one of those dirt cheap Chinese saws on Amazon and experiment porting it. But now that I have an ms170 to mess with, I’ll just do it with that.
Warhawk cylinders are cheap and come out of the box with actually decent numbers to work with if anyone else is so inclined.

That’s an awesome idea. I had some great side conversation with lightning performance and I think I will be doing exactly what you suggest. That would be cool to see and it would be good information for the masses.
I’ve always wanted to get one of those dirt cheap Chinese saws on Amazon and experiment porting it. But now that I have an ms170 to mess with, I’ll just do it with that.
Warhawk cylinders are cheap and come out of the box with actually decent numbers to work with if anyone else is so inclined.
So how did these things turn out all broke in and under regular use?

So how did these things turn out all broke in and under regular use?
The 170 turned out good. It’s definitely a cuttin little booger.
I’m getting married in the spring and we are currently planning our own wedding, so unfortunately that has taken away from most of my shop time. I lent the saw to my dad who has a ton of small dead ash trees to clean up so he got the privilege of really breaking it in. I used it just the other day and it’s fast. Cuts great on the high end, but it’s a bit more peaky than I prefer. I feel as though that may have a lot to do with grinding out the bottom end. I’m still interested in trying the other approach. I feel as though that may yield better results

The 170 turned out good. It’s definitely a cuttin little booger.
I’m getting married in the spring and we are currently planning our own wedding, so unfortunately that has taken away from most of my shop time. I lent the saw to my dad who has a ton of small dead ash trees to clean up so he got the privilege of really breaking it in. I used it just the other day and it’s fast. Cuts great on the high end, but it’s a bit more peaky than I prefer. I feel as though that may have a lot to do with grinding out the bottom end. I’m still interested in trying the other approach. I feel as though that may yield better results
Your way ahead of most still drinking beer and bench racing the tools.
Peaky isn't a bad thing on tiny tools never meant to be loaded down. The clutch will last a lot longer most times.

Latest posts

Back