opinion on lesser known brands

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't say about the newer Echo's but when my dad was selling them early 70's thru the 80's i got to play with about all of them. I had a few favorites and still have a few models hid in my shop and my attic. Sure they may have been underpowered compared to some of the big name screamers but lots of them are still running...Bob

Who actually makes the Ryobi chainsaws? I'm seeing them on ebay quite a bit. Most seem to be factory refurbs.

Ryobi make chain saw??!!
My best understanding is Ryobi is by MTD which make Troy Bilt and a lot of Craftsman. They are just selling it cheaper in Home Depot. There battery power tools are very good. I have been using them to do heavy duty earthquake renovation work. I still kept my price Bosch driver as toy and keep it nicely for show!!!!

I believe they are very very good disposable tools. One that you don't argue on what oil and ratio to use, just use. Put in the mix and run until it stop, then buy another one. No attachment, no love and no hate. I tell you they already won over the market of contractor already. Dewalt and others can go eat it.

I am not a pro, that is why I am here biggering about which one is the best!!! If my lifelyhood depand on it, I'll buy dublicate of the trimmer, saw etc of Ryobi and drop it when it fail, and pickup the spare as fast as I drop the old one. Then go out and buy another for spare.

Last edited:
In terms of the lesser brands, I think Stihl is probably okay...

You should be so lucky to live as old as your jokes. Why don't you try something original, as difficult as that might be, for a change?

Shindaiwa's are good. They're a tad heavier than some other brands, and some people say they don't have as much HP as advertised, but their build quality is top notch and they're extremely reliable. First to start, Last to quit is the motto, and they mean it:)

I agree on the Shindaiwa. I picked up a 360 the other day cheap. I pulled it over to check it out and it popped and ran on rancid fuel before I drained it. After cleaning off several years of accumulated storage grunge it appeared almost new. With fresh gas it started right up and runs like a champ. I was impressed with how well it is put together albeit a tad heavy. Not sure of the value on the new ones since I don't know what they sell for. However, mine is worth the $35.00 I paid for it, to me.

OK that maybe true, 2 different dealers told that to me. One was a Redmax and the other was a Stihl.

Strato-Charged™ is trademarked both Redmax and Stihl are using it.

So please backup your statement.
I just want to know what is true.

Show me where Stihl uses the word "strato-charged".... It's the words that are trademarked, not the technology.

another vote for efco, I don't get these people always saying that any efco other than the 62cc dosent add up etc etc, I have ran Efcos in the same class against Stihl and Husqvarna, they always held right with them. But nobody believes or cares. Never mind the industrys leading warranty.

another vote for efco, I don't get these people always saying that any efco other than the 62cc dosent add up etc etc, I have ran Efcos in the same class against Stihl and Husqvarna, they always held right with them. But nobody believes or cares. Never mind the industrys leading warranty.

Are you running against homeowner or pro Stihl and Huskys, big difference there. My 56cc Efco most likely would keep up with thier homeowner saws. And just as heavy. Steve

We own and use several Echo saws. We didn't much care for the CS-440 and the CS-300/301's, but the CS-510's are getting a LOT of use, and holding up fine.

Although they aren't overly impressive anyplace, they start with 2-3 pulls, run FOREVER on a tank of fuel, and get the job done. We use them more than just "casually", they get the crap ran out of them all the time.

We just obtained the CS-360T, and right now the jury is out on that saw. It's supposed to be Echo's answer to the Husky 338XPT, and Stihl MS-200T, but I'm not overly impressed with it, and absolutely HATE the built in rev limiting module. They must think EVERYONE is so stupid they will lean a saw out and burn it up?

Anyhow, I rate the Echo's as among the best of the "low end" saws. We even run the larger 670, and have ran the 8100. By comparison, my Husky 268XPS is at LEAST 30 percent faster/more powerful. Every time I think an Echo is doing pretty well, I get out on of the Husqvarna's, so I can be reminded how professional saws are supposed to run!......Cliff

I am interested in why the rest of the program is not as good...

Just because the saws are a half pound heavier does not mean they are not good saws. The 971 and 981 are pro level saws

I have never seen on in real life, my wiew is based on yhe specs, and what others have posted about the saws....:greenchainsaw:

other brands thoughts

just look at efco emak olympic.
the jd saws are quite impressive. as seen in my signature. the jd saws are what they are advertised as. the problem with most saws is the factory has too meet the damned epa and carb regulations and ansi standards for kick back which makes the saw almost a turd in wood from the factory, that is why once you buy the saw you modify it, muffler then bar and chain then carb:clap:
:cheers:

Latest posts

Back