Opinions on Echo saws, especially cs-400.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oakcutter

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at Echo saws, specifically the cs-400. I cut about ten cords of oak every year. I would appreciate any info or advise on these saws. Thanks!

Welcome to the site fellow wisconsinite. I don't know much about the cs400 but I'll bump you to the top and maybe someone will notice your post. I've used a cs300 and a 600p and they worked fine for occasional use. A muffler mod and better chain probably would've helped.
Kevin

I've had a 400 and it was a great saw. I see it as the Honda Civic of chainsaws...not a screamer (stock) but a handy and reliable workhorse. Ebay has them NIB much cheaper than Home Depot. I changed over to a Husky 346xp because I wanted more power but the CS-400 never failed to put wood in the shed.

they are a good little saw

i highly recommend a muffler mod

i took the cat out re tuned it and man it woke up the saw

i have still yet to post before and after cuts but in 14.5 inch popular with a semi sharp chain it was cutting 21 22 sec cuts after mod it was like 16 17 sec

I needed a 40cc ish saw, and it was between the Dolmar PS-420 and the Echo CS-400---same price. The Dolmar is a better saw :msp_w00t: and I bought one, but if I can pick up an "Echo Cs-400 open box saw" at Home Depot (missing parts and priced at a discount), I will.

I've not run a CS-400, but I was looking into one a while back, and found lots of interesting info in user reviews on Amazon.

Apparently many users had probs with lean/straight-gas seizures with them, while reportedly running factory-specified mix, and their dealers told them to suck eggs on warranty coverage.

i have run a 370 for years,, they are the same saw but the 400 is just a tad bigger engine wise,, never a day 1 problem,, i can't tell you how many cords it has cut... do a MM and tune on it and it will last a long time

Echo is a bad brand, that should be avoided - the saws are duds, and they handle their dealers really badly, from what I have heard - really arrogant people, that try to make the brand more than it really is!

Why don't they submit any power specs, except some obviously fake ones on an Aussie site (how does listing hp numbers as kW ones, and then multiplying those numbers with 1.34 again, to get a "new" hp number sound?). :jester:

Anyway, the truth was hidden further into that site (in manuals etc) - but I am far from sure everyone looked that closely into it...

Last edited:
What's strange is that for all the problems Echo's purportedly have, I see very few actual Echo problem threads here and on other sites.

What's strange is that for all the problems Echo's purportedly have, I see very few actual Echo problem threads here and on other sites.

Troll doesn't actually own an Echo... I do. I have a CS-520 that I tried not to buy. I still ended up with it, and it easily beats the living hell out of my Buds 346XP and his 026 with a simple muffler mod. Here it is pulling 24" of 3/8 chain through about 10-11" of fresh Fir:

YouTube - Echo CS-520 and Husqvarna 385XP in 10-11" Fir

The 385xp in that vid is ported and not set up for small wood.

With a 20" bar, that exact Echo right there outpulls a stock 346XP in Alder with a 16"/325 set up.

But there's a catch. They aren't really worth it new because the prices are a bit high. But in the states, used 400's and 520's aren't too difficult to find. MM them, richen them up, and they do alright. I paid $100 for mine. Which is a great deal...except I paid $250 for that 385xp ;)

Welcome to the site fellow wisconsinite. I don't know much about the cs400 but I'll bump you to the top and maybe someone will notice your post. I've used a cs300 and a 600p and they worked fine for occasional use. A muffler mod and better chain probably would've helped.
Kevin

Where does this occasional use bs thing come from, the 600p is built every bit as good and runs as good as any pro Husky or Stihl. the CS300 might be a occasional use saw as it's only 30cc but they all meet the 300 hour EPA ratings not like some ocassional use Husky and Stihl saws that can olny make it 50 or 150 hours. Steve

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input, this site is awesome!!! We have a saw with a 20 in bar for the bigger stuff, but I thought that a cs400 with a 16 in bar would be good for all the smaller stuff and limbing. I don't cut a ton, therefore I didn't want to spend a ton, but I do want a reliable saw that will work when I want it to.

Echo is a bad brand, that should be avoided - the saws are duds, and they handle their dealers really badly, from what I have heard - really arrogant people, that try to make the brand more than it really is!

Why don't they submit any power specs, except some obviously fake ones on an Aussie site (how does listing hp numbers as kW ones, and then multiplying those numbers with 1.34 again, to get a "new" hp number sound?). :jester:

Anyway, the truth was hidden further into that site (in manuals etc) - but I am far from sure everyone looked that closely into it...

troll, again, you need to use a saw before giving your opinion on it.
the cs400 will easily out cut most other saw it's size and a little bigger. no muffler modding needed, just a good tune. it's really the only echo i'd own. it's also real world, not paper specs lighter than any other 40cc out there.
the dealer thing is subjective, all brands have a$$holes behind the counter. and they all have their ways of ducking out of 'warranty' work. for the price, i'd pick one up if i didn't already have the
dolmar 420.;) which is just a few bucks more........

I bought 2 Echo saws over the winter. I also own Stihl, Dolmar/Makita, Jonsered and a Husky. I see NOTHING wrong with them to date. The 530 will hand the 290 Stihl it's hat and is lighter and easier to use to boot. The 600p is a dead ringer for my Stihl 360 Pro.

I have not owned them long enough to say how they hold up long term, but Echo seems to enjoy a pretty good reputation if they have been tuned properly, ie, get RID of the limiter caps and the CAT if there is one, and give them some fuel!

Last edited:
troll, again, you need to use a saw before giving your opinion on it.
the cs400 will easily out cut most other saw it's size and a little bigger. no muffler modding needed, just a good tune. it's really the only echo i'd own. it's also real world, not paper specs lighter than any other 40cc out there.
the dealer thing is subjective, all brands have a$$holes behind the counter. and they all have their ways of ducking out of 'warranty' work. for the price, i'd pick one up if i didn't already have the
dolmar 420.;) which is just a few bucks more........

i guess i need to send sawtroll my 370 and let him run it for a few weeks and i know he would change his mind,,, at the wk gtg the people that run it was impressed with it,,not head over heals mind you but impressed,, heck i like it,,,makes 1 heck of a limbing saw with a 12 or 14" b/c

I wouldn't send Mr Troll my Echo because he would like it and never send it back :) I know he is always one sided and thats fine too after all he does live in Huskyville and numbers who cares i buy what i like...Bob

So Troll, we have a lot of reports that the CS 510, 520 and 530 Echo saws outcut the 3.8 hp Stihl 029 or MS290 , how many HP would those Echo saws have. This happens all the time not on rare occasions. Steve

Latest posts

Back