Opinions on Echo saws, especially cs-400.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Echos:

Pros - great chainsaw choice for females or effeminate males

- great as "throw-away" disposable tools

- pretty shade of red

Cons - Echos always stall under pressure

- bland non-responsive engines

- soggy gutless performance

- boring and dreary

- uncomfortable and heavy

- plastic plastic plastic

- horrible egg-beater exhaust note

- owners tend to get all snaky and irritable

- just generally an unpleasant experience all-round...

Pgg - You are like a broken record, always playing the same scratchy irritating annoying song.

Echos:

- pretty shade of red

Cons - Echos always stall under pressure

- boring and dreary

Ssdd.

echos:

- pretty shade of red

cons - echos always stall under pressure

- boring and dreary

I wish mine had more plastic on them. The only plastic i have is the nuts that hold the air filter on and the rubber strip on the handle and the gas caps. The rest all magnesium...Bob

I don't have any Echo,s myself, but my neighbor does. I think its a 440. It seams heavy and doesn't seem all that powerful. But when I got to know this guy I found out it was his only saw, and he had been using it for his landscaping business and putting up over 5 cords of wood a year for quite a long time. I've seen that thing buried in 20 inch oak just chugging along more than a few times. I will say from my limitedexperience with them that I would buy one if one came along

"So Troll, we have a lot of reports that the CS 510, 520 and 530 Echo saws outcut the 3.8 hp Stihl 029 or MS290 , how many HP would those Echo saws have. This happens all the time not on rare occasions. Steve"

Steve, this is because that series of Echo's modern line-up are pound for pound the best saws they have.

I've owned just about every one they have made in recent years, including two CS-670's, and their larger CS-800. I was disappointed in both of those models at every level.

Another "turd" in the line-up was my CS-440.

The CS-510 is a completely different deal, very strong runner for 50cc. Not exactly sure why there is such a difference in power, chain speed and cutting performance for their different models?

The CS-370's and CS-400's are nice units. Not overly fast or high rpm's, but they have a lot of "grunt" for the cc's.

For cutting 10 cords of wood or so per year, a 40cc saw with a 16" 3/8LP set-up just isn't enough saw, IMHO. Great limbing saw, but I'd move up to a 50cc saw with at least an 18" .325" B/C for that much cutting......Cliff

Where does this occasional use bs thing come from, the 600p is built every bit as good and runs as good as any pro Husky or Stihl. the CS300 might be a occasional use saw as it's only 30cc but they all meet the 300 hour EPA ratings not like some ocassional use Husky and Stihl saws that can olny make it 50 or 150 hours. Steve

EPA emission hour ratings have nothing to do with the reliability or lifespan of the engine. It is strictly the average lifespan of the components that directly affect the emissions output of the engine, and the EPA would like to see those components replaced after that period of time to keep the engine in compliance with current regulations. Thankfully it is not required or even provable.

EPA emission hour ratings have nothing to do with the reliability or lifespan of the engine. It is strictly the average lifespan of the components that directly affect the emissions output of the engine, and the EPA would like to see those components replaced after that period of time to keep the engine in compliance with current regulations. Thankfully it is not required or even provable.

So a 50 hour MS170 has the same build quaily internally as a 300 hour pro Stihl saw? Don't think so. On a 2 cyle engine there is not much else that would start wearing out after 50 hours. Yes I know these 50 hour saws run a lot longer than that but now where near the life of a 300 hour saw. Steve

Where does this occasional use bs thing come from, the 600p is built every bit as good and runs as good as any pro Husky or Stihl. the CS300 might be a occasional use saw as it's only 30cc but they all meet the 300 hour EPA ratings not like some ocassional use Husky and Stihl saws that can olny make it 50 or 150 hours. Steve

Well they do run good. And are reliable.. start every time you need them. Keep on going and going..

As good as a Pro Husky or Stihl.. can not agree there. From any one I have used or owned, cc for cc they do not have anywhere near the power of the Husky or Stihl pro saws. That is why I have shop and trucks full of saws other than Echo. Furthermore, I have yet to see a commercial tree company running Echo's - pricewise it would make sense to use them. Ever wonder why commercial tree workers do not use them.. must be a reason other than simply that they have Husqvarna and Stihl blinders on.. (I do have one Echo top handle on truck as bcckup saw -- 360T -- it is a good little saw which is on par with the Stihl 192T (actually a little better built than the 192T) but a far cry from the 200T).

Can not comment on your EPA comment, as do not know.

Last edited:
Well they do run good. And are reliable.. start every time you need them. Keep on going and going..

As good as a Pro Husky or Stihl.. can not agree there. From any one I have used or owned, cc for cc they do not have anywhere near the power of the Husky or Stihl pro saws. That is why I have shop and trucks full of saws other than Echo. Furthermore, I have yet to see a commercial tree company running Echo's - pricewise it would make sense to use them. Ever wonder why commercial tree workers do not use them.. must be a reason other than simply that they have Husqvarna and Stihl blinders on.. (I do have one Echo top handle on truck as bcckup saw -- 360T -- it is a good little saw which is on par with the Stihl 192T (actually a little better built than the 192T) but a far cry from the 200T).

Can not comment on your EPA comment, as do not know.

Echo saws come with real clogged up muff and tuned lean, both need to be taken care of. Bring your 260 over and we'll run it against any of my 510 0r 520 Echo saws, I already know the the results of that one, unless your 260 is ported. Or any 40cc Stihl against my CS400. Steve

I agree with Steve. My 530 easily runs with a 260pro stock vs stock and my 600 absolutely buries a 311 with chips.

The original poster is not a pro and clearly stated he expects to cut 10 cord a year. Many here always get sidetracked and start going off on pro everything. 10 cords a year does NOT require a pro saw.

So to answer the original poster's question, IMO the CS 400 is a bit light for 10 cords a year. Go up to at least the CS 450 in the current line up. My rec for this would be the CS 600P if the poster is after 10 cord a year and wants an Echo.

A proper tune and muff mod on either of those saws will give a long trouble free life considering the original poster's requirements.

If he wants a smaller saw and is willing to pay what a CS 600P would cost, (a little searching should net one for $450-$500), then a Husky 346 XP or a Dolmar 5105 should fit the bill.

I have seen NIB 600Ps selling for $350.00-$400.00 (if they aren't from an authorized dealer there is no warranty), and used 520s bring under $200.00 on eBay. Of course buying from eBay = buyer beware.

We have four Echo 360 T's and they have held up well so far with pretty heavy use, like them better than the 192's. I've never used CS-400 in question, I can't comment on it.

I really don't have preference in brands, just in models. Whatever saw you buy, a sharp chain, proper maintenance, mix and safety is a must.

This is my first post; I think you guys do a great service by sharing knowledge and experience.

Last edited:
The Echo 400 would be fine for 10 cord a year but it is a small saw and 10 cords is a lot of small saw wood.

Will it do it yes, nothing wrong with the saw that I have seen. If you can you might want to step up a notch in size.

The original poster is not a pro and clearly stated he expects to cut 10 cord a year. Many here always get sidetracked and start going off on pro everything. 10 cords a year does NOT require a pro saw.

So to answer the original poster's question, IMO the CS 400 is a bit light for 10 cords a year. Go up to at least the CS 450 in the current line up. My rec for this would be the CS 600P if the poster is after 10 cord a year and wants an Echo.

A proper tune and muff mod on either of those saws will give a long trouble free life considering the original poster's requirements.

If he wants a smaller saw and is willing to pay what a CS 600P would cost, (a little searching should net one for $450-$500), then a Husky 346 XP or a Dolmar 5105 should fit the bill.

I agree.. they are excellent saws for the casual user. Reliable and not terribly expensive.

Back