Opinions on Lombardy Poplars?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Bickel

Reaction score
We've purchased a home with 350' of frontage on a busy semi-rural road and would like to plant a row of trees to both deaden sound and make the property more interesting.I'm 45 yrs. old and I don't want to be in a nursing home when these trees mature.I know it's not PC to be into fast growing trees, but,I love the look of Lombardy poplars in photographs.I know they lose their leaves in the fall ,so they wouldn't do that much for sound in the winter,but just don't care as much for pinetrees.I've read in one place that they can live to be 70 yrs. old and in another that they're a weed tree that'll fall over in 15 years.Can someone offer me an experienced opinion?Thanks.

I would be inclined to plant spruce or pine trees instead of the poplars. Not only would they stay green all year long, they would also provide a barrier between your home and the road. I would recommend planting at least two rows, leaving at least 15-20 feet or more between each tree.

Around here, lombardi poplars do not last very long. Seems by the time they get large enough and look good, they die.

Keep in mind, trees and other plantings only decrease road noise on the average of 10%, if that much.

Lombardy Poplars

The one's my parents' neighbours planted were dead or dying after 15 years and looked like h*ll. Then they had a big removal bill after one came crashing down on the fence. I think you would happier with something evergreen-I prefer spruce to pine.

As the nam implies, they are an alpine species. Seems that they want somehting a little colder and dryer then around the lake here. I've seen nice specimines in "sandhill country" up north.

There are some cultivars of the European poplar that have a similar fastigiate form that are less prone to cankering.

Think about creating your screen with several different types of trees, both fast and slow growing, both evergreen and deciduous, and both tree and shrub form.

This way you can benefit from the qualities of all types, and you don't have to worry about a certain pest or disease wiping out your whole screen. As the fast growing trees die off the slow growing trees will be filling in, the shrubs will fill the lower areas as the trees get tall and lose the lower limbs. You can also have different interesting things going on at all times, flowers, cones, berries, interesting structural forms, different colors, etc.

I offer this advice from experience. My childhood home had such a screen installed by the village. They planted a wall of mostly native plants. They used a large variety of stock including Larch, a deciduous conifer with beautiful fall color, Highbush cranberry, a very fast growing bush with bright red berries that birds love, Sycamore, a very interesting tree because of it's bark, and other great plants.

It made an almost instant screen and still looks good, thirty some years latter. Some of the plants have not done well, but others have filled in. In some areas, buckthorne, a nasty invasive tree, has taken over and started to ruin the screen, but a homeowner could control that.

If you could afford a landscape architect, that would be best, otherwise, look for a planting like I described, one that you like with a diversity of plants, and copy it. One goal should be to have it look natural, like it occurred naturally. That's one thing a row of lombardies will never do

If you like the columnar look I'd recomend another species other than poplar. There are lots of columnar maples, and and even oaks and beach. The lombardis are extremely brittle and messy, a maintenance nightmare around roads and homes.

Back