opinions on rototillers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogieman142

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My fathers 70th birthday is this year and his tiller is just plain wore out. It was my grandfathers tiller, front tine w/3.5 hp briggs on it. I am looking at buying him one for his birthday along with a greenhouse(he loves gardening). It is clay here and i was leaning towards a rear tine tiller. I know bcs is the best but can't afford it. Have about 1k to spend. what do you guys think?

I would second the pony. My wife’s grandparents are in their 70s and this is the one they decided to keep when they thinned the toys out of the garage a couple years ago. They both use it. But after looking at the troybilt site I do kind of like the idea of the bronco with the counter rotating tines. Never used one but I know firs hand what happens when you get the tines on the surface and it sends you running across the yard. If this is good in clay I would defiantly get it for your situation.

thanks everyone for the comments, found a very lightly used bcs 730 with a tiller attachment and a chipper attachment. drove 4 hours each way to get it too.

The BCS 730 is a fine machine, I fixed one for a guy a few years back that had a Kohler engine on it. He had the tiller and sweeper attachment for his.

Hi
If you could find one, the Airens rear tine tillers are hard to beat. Airens still makes a tiller but they are like a lot of things built to day, they don,t compair with the ones built in the 60s and 70s
If your not in a hury you can still find them. If you are lucky enough to find one that has been taken care of and with low hours it will last through a number of generations. They are much eaiser to use than a Troy Built, if you purchase one you will never regret it.

Latest posts

Back