Opinion's on this Northstar splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creaid

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200316905_200316905

What's your thoughts on this splitter? It would be used for home use, I heat my home with a stove. Probably split 4 to 6 cords a year. I want something thats going to last. I don't think the splitter has a filter for the hydrolics, is the filter a must have? If so can one be easily added? How big of rounds do you think it would split? Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200316905_200316905

What's your thoughts on this splitter? It would be used for home use, I heat my home with a stove. Probably split 4 to 6 cords a year. I want something thats going to last. I don't think the splitter has a filter for the hydrolics, is the filter a must have? If so can one be easily added? How big of rounds do you think it would split? Thanks for your input.

Geeze, Dont sound like a bad deal, 4 the money, Lemons come at all costs, meaning, You could pay twice as much and get a bad splitter,Who knows, Its probably got the lower end compoents, T,C, E,J,

I dont care for those funky wings their putting on them to hold the log.

Also, if you want something that will last I would look for a OHV engine, preferably horizontal shaft.

Last edited:
That looks pretty good too me. I'll bet you it does have a filter but you can't see it in the pix. Mine is quite similar with the hyd oil tank between the wheels like that one and it has a filter coming right off the tank on the inside of the wheel. As far as the funky wings go, you can easily remove those but I suggest that you will like them. They stop you bending over every time to retrieve the split if you have a piece that you are splitting a few times. Mine is a 5hp and 20ton dualstage pump and I've yet too find a piece it wouldn't handle. It ain't rocket science. That's got a Briggs motor (bullet proof) and should serve you well and it's a pretty good price too.:cheers:

This unit doesn't have a filter, but one can easily be added. I have a splitter from NT also, its the 22 ton model. It has those "wings" to help hold the log also. They are a lifesaver, they keep the split piece from falling on the ground and support larger logs. When I split, I find a large round and keep it at my left-hand side. After a piece is split, I take the piece closest to me and set it on this log, the wing will hold the other piece from falling on the ground. If this piece needs splitting again its right there, being supported by the wing.

Well.....

Is this something that you can buy at one of their local stores? If not, how much is shipping? Im a fan of buying local stuff for future service or problems. Those Huskee log splitters they sell at TSC really are a good deal. TSC can also upgrade to a Speeco splitter with a Honda GX series motor - talk to the manager because its a special order and the employee answering the phone my not know that - I found that out.

Is this something that you can buy at one of their local stores? If not, how much is shipping? Im a fan of buying local stuff for future service or problems. Those Huskee log splitters they sell at TSC really are a good deal. TSC can also upgrade to a Speeco splitter with a Honda GX series motor - talk to the manager because its a special order and the employee answering the phone my not know that - I found that out.

I'm pretty sure all Huskee splitters are made by Speeco

When I split, I find a large round and keep it at my left-hand side. After a piece is split, I take the piece closest to me and set it on this log, the wing will hold the other piece from falling on the ground. If this piece needs splitting again its right there, being supported by the wing.

For me the guides got in the way, especially with larger dimater stuff.
I built a shelf about 18 x 18 on the far side of the beam to support the first half. Holds incoming wood and also the halvs in between cycles.
Putting it down on a round and picking up again seems better than the ground, but still a lot of work. The shelf is right there.

k

Yes, you are correct...

Speeco does make Huskee. If you want a Honda GX engine you can order the Speeco from TSC - but you have to talk to manager because it is a special order and not something they carry in stock.

i read the reviews at the web page. seems everyone who bought one is really happy with it and no one has posted any problems.

I've had this model for 2 years with no problems. I split around 10 chords a year.

My local TSC has both Honda and Briggs splitters in stock. I think there is a couple hundred dollar difference in the two but don't hold me to that. I'm looking at the Briggs version,they make a decent eng. and are cheap to replace if anything goes bad.

Back