Opinions on this Piston/Cylinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingOFgEEEks

Out, standing in my field.
Reaction score
Would you run this in an MS261? I'm thinking maybe a new set of rings, and clean everything well, but it should run, shouldn't it?
2016-11-16 21.13.44.jpg 2016-11-16 21.13.50.jpg 2016-11-16 21.14.02.jpg 2016-11-16 21.14.34 HDR.jpg
None of the vertical marks on the cylinder can be felt by a finger. I think they are just wear marks, and not transfer. The piston has one small scratch, but it can't be felt with a fingernail.

Hard to tell on the cylinder but the piston looks so good I can't imagine the cylinder wouldn't be ok. If it were mine I would lightly scotch bright the piston and the cylinder and put it back together. New set of caber or OEM rings of course.

Thanks.
It's hard to get a good close-up with my iPhone, but when I feel the bore of the cylinder with my finger, it feels perfectly smooth. Not like a cylinder with transfer, where you can feel the aluminum.

Would you run this in an MS261? I'm thinking maybe a new set of rings, and clean everything well, but it should run, shouldn't it?
View attachment 537763 View attachment 537764 View attachment 537765 View attachment 537766
None of the vertical marks on the cylinder can be felt by a finger. I think they are just wear marks, and not transfer. The piston has one small scratch, but it can't be felt with a fingernail.
looks fine to me.
I would also clean out around the bottom end area it looks to have quite a bit of debris in around that area

looks fine to me.
I would also clean out around the bottom end area it looks to have quite a bit of debris in around that area

Yeah, the whole saw is still grubby. My plan is to clean the whole thing before reassembly, but I wanted to get opinions on if I needed to order a piston or not while I waited.

It's an ex tree service saw, and I don't think it was ever cleaned. They somehow cracked the oil pump, and just tossed the whole saw in the trash.

Thanks guys.

I'd hitthe whole jug with 220 paper and scotchbrite after new rings and run it. Its usually a good idea to atleast blow off the jug base area before tear down. Otherwise that crap always gets in the case. Goodsave from the trash.

Latest posts

Back