Opinions on which saw please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orange Wedge

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have been looking around here for some time and decided to join the fun. I am in the market to purchase a new saw for firewood cutting...about 5-6 cord a year of mixed hardwood
and some weekends helping friends and family. The two that I have come down to are the Husky 357xp and Stihl ms360.
Planned bar size is 20". Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks for the reply Rich.
I also have been a Stihl owner (dad started me with one a while back). I am curious about the low end torque issue you spoke of.
Is that something a casual user should lean to?
thanks

I'm a Stihl man myself but both saw you talk about are good what you should look for is the best dealer and service near you the husky may be a little cheaper than the Stihl. But service is what counts and how far away the dealer is.

As far as the dealer situation goes...I am real close to both dealers and both seem to do well and have good reputations.
Is one saw more user friendly maint. wise?? Ie: cleaning air cleaners, changing plugs, adjusting bar and so forth?

Originally posted by Orange Wedge
I am curious about the low end torque issue you spoke of.

Having owned a few 036's this saw never seemed to have enough low-end grunt for me. Maybe I just didn't give it enough time. The 357 is an improvement on the 257 which was a good saw.

Also, what Rocky said is true maybe a slightly smaller saw would be better, for example a 55 Rancher.

I would opt for the 036 (ms360) as I have had two of them and still have one. My experance with them has been very good, very dependable service with power to spare! I have not had a chance to try a Husky 357xp but have run other models and currently own a 346xp. You might want to consider a MS260 (the non-pro model as the Pro is almost a gemik, after all who needs a decompression release on a 50cc class saw anyway??) the 260 has more than enough power for what you want to do.:angel:

Orange,
Can you get by with a smaller bar? If so, I also would recommend a smaller saw. If not, why not try something different? Make you a more experienced person with an opinion on both brands.
What are you using now?

First off I want to say thanks for everyone who has replied to my first post! I was trying to avoid letting you guys know I am running, a 1997 Stihl 029 18" .325...based on what I have read about them in here. That aside it has served me well for heating the house, wife and kids. I admit I have been bit by the bug for a new saw and after reading the replies I feel the common opinion
of ms260 or 346xp is the way to go for me.
I think I will go with the ms260 at this point but...I was wondering if an 18" bar on the 260 is a good overall size and will the 18" bar and chain from the 029 match up on the 260 for a spare should I need it. (both will be .325)
Thanks in advance!

Wedge,
Why two saws in the same power range? The bars & chains will interchange, but I'd trade to bring the cost of the new unit down...or go to a different power range.
18" is OK...16" is better.

Bill
Sorry I forgot to mention that the 029 that is being replaced is being sold to a friend at work. I have 2 bars and 4 chains for it and was planning on keeping a bar and chain as a spare or for any dirty cutting that might be done. The reason for the new saw was to upgrade the saw and have a new one that should last some time with good care.
thanks

I find the 18" bar on an 026 to be well balanced, and capable of handling 90% of what I come across. Its set up for 3/8". Its a time-tested reliable saw... but....

at 5-6 cords/year, have you looked at the new ms270?...

and have you considered an 025?

The problem I see is that the 029, for all its drawbacks, is serving you well. So you can trade it or sell it at a considerable loss for a similar sized saw that will serve you just as well with room to spare; or you can keep it as a back up, which is always nice to have; or you can go for something outside that range, either up or down. Small saws are nice for brush and limbing/clean-up if you fall any residential trees, and big saws are nice for.... well, they're just nice.

Don't think I'm picking on you. I also had an 029 that gave me few complaints other than it wouldn't cut through rocks. Then the bug bit me, and I brought home an 044 with 18" and 25" bars; followed by my 026. And lately I've been looking at 046's, 066's and Solo 690's which I may never use (but ya never know).

I'm also driving my wife crazy with talk of a decent sized chipper to make mulch out of all the bark and small stuff left over after I split a bunch (using my new splitter, which I keep in my new shed).

You see. What you call a bug, my wife calls an obsession. But I digress...

Think about a range of saws that will give you the best tools for the type (size) and amount of wood that you will be cutting. The 029 was your "experimental", or "training" saw (kind of like that first child). Now you're ready to get down to business, and once the bug bites, accept the fact that one saw is not enough.

Buckwheat...Great stuff up above!
Just when I thought I was centered on my choice, I want to go back to a stronger class of saw...I understand the obsession that I have read about here the past few months. I guess it does not hurt to ask...any chance on you liberating that 44 if you get a bigger saw? That may solve all my issues and who knows mabey the wife will let me keep the 029 for my son when he is ready.

My 044 is an older one that I bought used, and although it cuts pretty good, it has a few quirks that indicate it needs it good going over. I would not feel comfortable selling it to someone without them having a chance to really run and cut with the saw so they knew what they were getting. You would do better to find one locally; or one that a site member could vouch for.
But thanks for asking.

Well Buckwheat, if I was to buy your 044 for the right price, say $50, I would never hold it against you if it didn`t work out. :D

Russ

yah, but then you might curse at me and hurt my feelings. besides, $50 Canadian: that's about a pack of gum, right?

Latest posts

Back