Opinions Please... Pine Removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BlackenedTimber

BlackenedTimber

ArboristSite Operative
New York/Oklahoma, depending on the day...
Yeah it was a good day. I gave the HO a price to deadwood a wooded lot next to his house on the lake. Stacked all the brush on site at the edge of the property, per his request. Total expenses were 44 bucks for fuel and 60 bucks to my groundie. The development was a camp site years ago and received zero maintenance for 23 years before they decided to begin building there, so there are a lot of dead trees and in a few spots there are even small cedars growing through the asphalt. I was able to get in and out in 4 hours with minimal climbing... love that pole saw, even if it is a 4-stroke POS. He has more work he wants done too, and his Nephew is the property manager, who I met a few days ago. Gave him a stack of cards and have some estimates lined up for a few other properties in the development. The one thing I have going for me in this area is that there is no competition, other than the occasional hack, and these high-end properties seem to sort out the professionals from the weekend warriors.

tree MDS
Yeah it was a good day. I gave the HO a price to deadwood a wooded lot next to his house on the lake. Stacked all the brush on site at the edge of the property, per his request. Total expenses were 44 bucks for fuel and 60 bucks to my groundie. The development was a camp site years ago and received zero maintenance for 23 years before they decided to begin building there, so there are a lot of dead trees and in a few spots there are even small cedars growing through the asphalt. I was able to get in and out in 4 hours with minimal climbing... love that pole saw, even if it is a 4-stroke POS. He has more work he wants done too, and his Nephew is the property manager, who I met a few days ago. Gave him a stack of cards and have some estimates lined up for a few other properties in the development. The one thing I have going for me in this area is that there is no competition, other than the occasional hack, and these high-end properties seem to sort out the professionals from the weekend warriors.

Sort of hard to imagine what sort of professional work you could be doing with a chainsaw on a pole though...

treemandan

treemandan

Tree Freak
Yeah BT, I think we all saw through the curtain on this one. Those guys don't really want to play ball, they are just checking to see how much of a sucker you are. And , really, its a cemetary, they have been in business for a LONG time. They know. I was amazed they wanted a tree like that down. Really, think about it. Think about all the cemataries in the world and think about all the trees there are in them. Now think what is so crucial about this one pine tree all the sudden? Its not messed up, any problems with the stones right can be fixed by thier own people with a dam shovel and by the looks of it no one is really all that concerned about it and they haven't been for some time. Don't wrack your brain and your might to TD that pine for them. I find it hard to believe they really want it down anyway. Its healthy tree in a graveyard. How many calls does a common tree service get a week concerning situations like this?
One way to make it work is if you say you will do the tree cheap for them if they let you use the place to dump stuff from your other jobs. It could work out win win like that. I am sure they have a debris pile they stow stuff. Maybe you could get in there to clean up storm damage and hazzards and get yourself a place to offload easy and make a buck or two on the important stuff.
I would go in there and say " Ok, what do you really want... and can I dump here?" That's my real opinion and if I had to TD that tree I would climb up there, tie off the limbs and cut em one by one just like any other tree.

Last edited:
treevet

treevet

Addicted to ArboristSite

What a contrast in posts....one post is ..."huh"

The next post is a million sentences and no paragraphs and ......whew.....

Anyway, the dude brought in junk yard cars if he had a big stick to drop and had something like .......er.....let's say.....gravestones

to protect. Then BOOM....he drops the stick right on the junker and no damage (except to the already damaged car) and ......ah nevermind.:cry:

treemandan

treemandan

Tree Freak
What a contrast in posts....one post is ..."huh"

The next post is a million sentences and no paragraphs and ......whew.....

Anyway, the dude brought in junk yard cars if he had a big stick to drop and had something like .......er.....let's say.....gravestones

to protect. Then BOOM....he drops the stick right on the junker and no damage (except to the already damaged car) and ......ah nevermind.:cry:

Its just a dam 3 ring circus.

So this guy is hauling in cars to cushion the blow? See I told you, 3 ring circus.

I fixed that paragraph thing, sorry, that is not like me to be so lofty with the grammer.

BlackenedTimber

BlackenedTimber

ArboristSite Operative
New York/Oklahoma, depending on the day...
Good idea about the dump site suggestion Dan. I haven't heard back, and I doubt I will in the near future. We have enough work to stay busy right now as it is, so I'm not sweating it. I got started a few months ago installing residential/ranch wind turbines, and I have a few lined up in the next month. They are cake, as for the last 3 years I have worked on projects putting up the BIG ones, 383-ft tall. Anyway, I make about 1200 profit in a day and a half installing a turbine, and they are a cakewalk after working in commercial wind development.

As far as the weekend warrior comment, what I mean by that is there are a lot of run-of-the-mill Joes running around the areas adjacent to my small town armed with poulans and a lack of knowledge, hacking apart all kinds of nice properties. I have been told by many people that they are glad that someone who knows what they are doing is finally in this area. I had one woman tell me "I was sent here by god"- which I find funny because I am not religious, covered in tattoos, and have a foul mouth.

I have nothing against part-timers. I have been one for years, depending on my work scenario at the time. However, I am not crazy about a bunch of fools with poor work ethics, closet drug problems, and a general lack of ability running around masquerading as tree care professionals. Luckily, my customers feel the same way.

In regard to the pole saw: It's a POS, even though my Stihl dealer charged me over 600 bucks for it. It does keep me from having to climb from time to time, and for small jobs with low limbs, its a real time saver. Haha, maybe I'm not hardcore, but I love that pole saw. Most days.

where'd my Jim Beam go...?

tree md

tree md

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yeah BT, I think we all saw through the curtain on this one. Those guys don't really want to play ball, they are just checking to see how much of a sucker you are. And , really, its a cemetary, they have been in business for a LONG time. They know. I was amazed they wanted a tree like that down. Really, think about it. Think about all the cemataries in the world and think about all the trees there are in them. Now think what is so crucial about this one pine tree all the sudden? Its not messed up, any problems with the stones right can be fixed by thier own people with a dam shovel and by the looks of it no one is really all that concerned about it and they haven't been for some time. Don't wrack your brain and your might to TD that pine for them. I find it hard to believe they really want it down anyway. Its healthy tree in a graveyard. How many calls does a common tree service get a week concerning situations like this?
One way to make it work is if you say you will do the tree cheap for them if they let you use the place to dump stuff from your other jobs. It could work out win win like that. I am sure they have a debris pile they stow stuff. Maybe you could get in there to clean up storm damage and hazzards and get yourself a place to offload easy and make a buck or two on the important stuff.
I would go in there and say " Ok, what do you really want... and can I dump here?" That's my real opinion and if I had to TD that tree I would climb up there, tie off the limbs and cut em one by one just like any other tree.

I must be a mad man, I understood every sentence of that...

Anyway, my life is so strange that you guys wouldn't even believe it if I told you... So I don't even bother... I bet I am the only one who got called up for a "breakfast date"... We're supposed to go to church later but I doubt we make it... My home girl got mad and leafed in a huff earlier this morning...

Anyway... Rock on Blackened Timber... You're OK in my book brother.

ropensaddle

ropensaddle

Feel Lucky
I appreciate the kind words Tree. Good luck on your breakfast "date", although I am not sure exactly what that is...

Anyone else find themselves filing saw chain at 7 am on a Sunday? I think I need a life...
Oh well tried to load a vid but the code gods say no lol. I don't know why some threads will and some won't I have been trying to figure that out for a year:laugh:

Last edited:

Latest posts