Opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the ms390 is trashed on here undeservedly.
the ms390 will give you years of service no matter how bad you abuse it. treat it good and it will outlast you. I know of 290s/390s that are trashed everytime they are taken out and perform for countless years. I have a 029 super that I use for the crap work I wont put my other saws thru, like cutting roots, cutting railroad ties, ect. it just won't die. the 390 is just the big brother of the 290. virtually the same indestructable saw.

by spec sheets and power to weight ratios it comes up short when compared to other models, but it has a longevity record that is unmatched in the industry. whats more important to you? an extra pound or two, or a saw that will last forever if you abuse it harshly? now imagine actually taking care of it.
it all comes down to what you want or need.
-Ralph

[Fran Drescher voice]
Buuuut iiiiiit's soooooo heeeeaaaavvvvyyyy!!!!!!!!
[/Fran Drescher voice]

Revolutionary space-age material chassis - won't rot-through like Magnesium case if you leave it on the concrete floor for extended periods,

A beyotch to rebuild, but you most likely won't need to anyway,

Can handle decent length bars,

Should respond well to a moderate muffler mod

It may be considered a "throw-away" saw, but not a "throw away soon" saw like a lot of affordable red, yellow, or lime green saws out there.

If you are like most on this site, you will defend your saw and your decision to buy it, and recommend it to anyone wondering "what saw to buy?" simply because you are pleased with it and don't want to admit that a better saw to buy was out there and you screwed the pooch.

Now THAT, my friends, is a run-on sentence!

What bar oil you gonna run? Winter or Summer grade? Oil mix in the gas? What about Octane? What about Amsoil? Do you have a good break-in procedure planned out? Will you keep it in a case, or just a milk crate with a slot cut out of it? Why didn't you get a 5100S or MS361? Do you have PPE?

Just bustin' on ya a bit, you'll enjoy the 390 immensely. Make sure to mod you saw but not your dad's and report back your findings!

What Ralph said.

EDIT: And what Bump_r said, too. He posted while I was in ReplyTo mode, so I didn't see what he wrote. But I don't want his feelings to be hurt...

Yeah, what CU said. Bump_r and Ralph with nice, solid posts.

My dad has buying husky 55's since they came out...They are virtually indestructable saws...For the people on here that have to get through a log five seconds faster than everyone else,no the 55 isn't the right choice..I don't know why it catches so much flak...It's a good saw..Same with the 390..I know a guy who uses his every single day,and it's been running strong for three years,that's a long time considering I get two years if I'm lucky out of a new 440.

[Fran Drescher voice]
[/Fran Drescher voice]
hehehe

Some of the saw weight comparisons remind me of ultralight backpackers. I used to read discussions about finding the lightest backpack, cutting off your toothbrush handle to save a few grams (I am NOT making that up!) and so on. After a while, I started thinking that some people just might want to consider joining a gym or something.

I have had an MS290 farmboss for a few years and it has been awesome. Very dependable, I have even put a 20 in bar on it and felled and bucked a 36dbh white pine, then took the 8 foot bottom section and milled it into a bar top. Granted the 20 in bar would not make the cut all the way through so I had to flip it and match up my cut so that was not pretty and time consuming. But I cut the middle secion out about 8 in thick so I can have it planed down and cleaned up. This of course is not recommended for a 56cc saw but it was my only option and I had time. Anyway the point is cutting 10-12 cords a year and some amature milling 3 years later the saw is still like brand new. If you anticipate similar use or less this saw is a great fit.

I have had an MS290 farmboss for a few years and it has been awesome. Very dependable, I have even put a 20 in bar on it and felled and bucked a 36dbh white pine, then took the 8 foot bottom section and milled it into a bar top. Granted the 20 in bar would not make the cut all the way through so I had to flip it and match up my cut so that was not pretty and time consuming. But I cut the middle secion out about 8 in thick so I can have it planed down and cleaned up. This of course is not recommended for a 56cc saw but it was my only option and I had time. Anyway the point is cutting 10-12 cords a year and some amature milling 3 years later the saw is still like brand new. If you anticipate similar use or less this saw is a great fit.

I think the 290 is especially well suited to tasks that people tell you it's not well suited for. ;)

the ms390 is trashed on here undeservedly.
the ms390 will give you years of service no matter how bad you abuse it. treat it good and it will outlast you. I know of 290s/390s that are trashed everytime they are taken out and perform for countless years. I have a 029 super that I use for the crap work I wont put my other saws thru, like cutting roots, cutting railroad ties, ect. it just won't die. the 390 is just the big brother of the 290. virtually the same indestructable saw.

by spec sheets and power to weight ratios it comes up short when compared to other models, but it has a longevity record that is unmatched in the industry. whats more important to you? an extra pound or two, or a saw that will last forever if you abuse it harshly? now imagine actually taking care of it.
it all comes down to what you want or need.
-Ralph

[Fran Drescher voice]
[/Fran Drescher voice]

Revolutionary space-age material chassis - won't rot-through like Magnesium case if you leave it on the concrete floor for extended periods,

A beyotch to rebuild, but you most likely won't need to anyway,

Can handle decent length bars,

Should respond well to a moderate muffler mod

It may be considered a "throw-away" saw, but not a "throw away soon" saw like a lot of affordable red, yellow, or lime green saws out there.

If you are like most on this site, you will defend your saw and your decision to buy it, and recommend it to anyone wondering "what saw to buy?" simply because you are pleased with it and don't want to admit that a better saw to buy was out there and you screwed the pooch.

Now THAT, my friends, is a run-on sentence!

What bar oil you gonna run? Winter or Summer grade? Oil mix in the gas? What about Octane? What about Amsoil? Do you have a good break-in procedure planned out? Will you keep it in a case, or just a milk crate with a slot cut out of it? Why didn't you get a 5100S or MS361? Do you have PPE?

Just bustin' on ya a bit, you'll enjoy the 390 immensely. Make sure to mod you saw but not your dad's and report back your findings!

Yep!

Tried to Rep ya both and got shot down in flames :chainsaw:

][Fran Drescher voice]
[/Fran Drescher voice]

Now thats funny thanks bump need a new cup of coffee now

Last edited:
Billy, I agree, I suppose because if you have one and your a pro it becomes the beater saw, and if you have one and you an amature (like me) its the only saw you have so it has to do it all. But thats ok by me, I still love the saw.

hehehe

Some of the saw weight comparisons remind me of ultralight backpackers. I used to read discussions about finding the lightest backpack, cutting off your toothbrush handle to save a few grams (I am NOT making that up!) and so on. After a while, I started thinking that some people just might want to consider joining a gym or something.

Virtual backpacking maybe a better way to go for them. Weight is relative my 032 feels like a toy after the 066. Yes and I want to save a few ounces on the 066 with the 42" bar on it. Thought about putting that bar on the 260 it would be so much lighter.:blob2:

I feel as a genral firewood saw it is a good buy I have three people in my family that have them and have had good luck so far. Out of the 290/310/390 family of saws I feel It to be the only choice because if you are going to carry the same weight you mightest well have the power, and now it has the decompression also. Any saw is only as good as it maintence.

028 super again
cs-3400x2
cs-3000
162se
mac 15

Latest posts

Back