Which would you prefer MS046 or MS0462

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you use a saw day in day out its gonna wear out regardless.
I've used both saws and rebuilt a 046 last year . The MS462 is a top notch tool and cuts above its weight class in my opinion, but it doesn't pull a 32" bar like its big brothers that are 76.5cc .
I also think that a mentally disabled person would be able to tear down and reassemble an 046 stihl without much difficulty, I'm not sure if the same could be said for the 462? They are both incredibly good saws though .

Update... my buddy passed on the 046, the seller was the second owner purchased it from the original owner with a used refurbished aftermarket bar. Just seemed like a saw with more too it then it appeared. Not that the sell misrepresented the saw he answered my buddy's questions honestly with the information he knew! He had the saw serviced... sound like yearly from the information given, it didn't appear he worked on his own saw. It probably was a good saw, but being its age, rubber breaks down and the seller wanted premium price for what he represented as a classic. My buddy needed a work saw not something he wanted to work on, just too much unknown with this saw.

461 is quad loop transfer, last of the non strato saws in the product line of that series. I’d certainly take a 046 or 460 don’t get me wrong they’re good. 461 is just my preference.
It really doesn't have a traditional question loop transfer set up. It's more like 2 transfer duct inlets and 4 outlets.

There is that. There is also the fact my time is priceless and I would rather not waste it working on old tools.
Tldr.

But when you can go through them fast enough and likely know what it needs before purchase they make an easy flip so I might buy them. You pay for my time mostly going through them. Others just fix the issues and flip it with no real service work being done. Another reason people who don't want to work on tools or don't have the time shouldn't buy used things to keep.

I'm getting away from used stuff more and more unless I do infact keep it based on my time invested. Others do not want to pay for the time it takes to make everything right regardless of intended use including cheap ass racers now or any equipment buyers. Street cars nowadays by far are spending more to build better rides compared to budget racers like lemons for example or street stocks on short tracks. Redoing heads comes to mind. I'm moving towards only doing new or almost new machines now of any type. Just ports or decking opperations. Bikes I'm sticking with new or almost new from now on. OPE repair is a **** show now. The filthy things people use are disgusting. They keep things like slobs! No thanks I'm done with that. That is where all the time goes in cleaning. It will cost you a hondo to send me any filthy hand held equipment to be cleaned in machines like the dish washer, parts washer, USC, blast cabinet or media blasters. The rate for cleaning or building is now the same. That solved my service issues. Those people don't come back or they pay with a smile. Some cry. I'm okay with all of the above. Not my problem anymore. Pay or go away. Real simple process. Return shipping is done with anything prepaid if you send me filth and refuse to pay for it.... it goes right back in the box as Return to Sender. Problem solved.
Will likely close my bench to the public permanently in two years. Once the shop is ready it's me time. Changing to a more semi retired form of income and residual recurring income. Passive income and my shop will be all mine for my toys again. Flipping large machines yields bigger dividends anyway. They will get fixed, used and shipped out. Real simple process there.

To return to the original question, my opinion. I have had 046, 460, 461, and 462. All are excellent saws. But with time and improvements, the 462 is hands down the best of the bunch. More dependable, as much or more power, and lighter.
Also less durable for pulling 28 bars
Imo

That remains to be seen.
Initial version did need the cases strengthened. Same thing happened to the 371XP, which after being strengthened became the 372XP.
I don't know much about Husky shortblocks smaller than 181 or bigger than 359. Never got many in over a lifetime. Mostly Homelite or Mac early on or Stihl. Stihl took over this area long ago with ope. 222, 365/371 are scare here. You never see them for sale. Put a jug on 371 long ago. It was an update NOS. First jug was wrong. Guy came back with the right one after I gave him the burnt jug. We had one dealer and they sold it. Two good people with knowledge are still there. I shop there for parts. Most times it's 288 or bigger.

Thr 046/460 had the antiquated cylinder fed transfers.
It is pretty basic. If you widen them it helps a lot. Leave the short side alone and fill the entry at the bottom. Take out the choke point. Widen the port from there down on the turn. The lip on the bottom can also be filled once ground to prep it. That reduces case volume. Most people missed all that stuff or cry it takes too long. Same deal with Meteor jugs. They take too long to fix so I won't do them anymore. MS460 Hyway or OE or nothing. Meteor piston kits are good .

OE Stihl tapered wrist pins are lighter. Circlips or pin bearings are best from Stihl, Dolkita or Husky. They rest are interesting conversations and test parts most times. I think most 460s for cheap now are filled with junk inside. Finding good ones near me is almost impossible now.

They sell new ones everyday like you said. I doubt the pto bearings will last very long. Milling is definitely out on two fronts. No carbs here and a small bearing.

It is pretty basic. If you widen them it helps a lot. Leave the short side alone and fill the entry at the bottom. Take out the choke point. Widen the port from there down on the turn. The lip on the bottom can also be filled once ground to prep it. That reduces case volume. Most people missed all that stuff or cry it takes too long. Same deal with Meteor jugs. They take too long to fix so I won't do them anymore. MS460 Hyway or OE or nothing. Meteor piston kits are good .

OE Stihl tapered wrist pins are lighter. Circlips or pin bearings are best from Stihl, Dolkita or Husky. They rest are interesting conversations and test parts most times. I think most 460s for cheap now are filled with junk inside. Finding good ones near me is almost impossible now.

They sell new ones everyday like you said. I doubt the pto bearings will last very long. Milling is definitely out on two fronts. No carbs here and a small bearing.
The stihl046 are antiquated and the limiting factor is the windows in the pistons.
In no way do they compare to a Huskt 4 transfer XP cylinder of the same vintage. And also why they never ran like a Husky in hardwood.

I had a lot of Husky's they ran great performance wise but the Stihl's held up better.
Been helping a tree guy that has an old 046 and a 372 and I asked him which he liked better and he said the 046 served him better and he thought it had more power .
From what i saw over the years typically, usually saws prior to the newer to newest generation, the Stihls lasted longer with less breakdowns. He made the remark he would like to get a couple 044's so i assume he is not sold on Husqvarna being better at least from his business stand point. He isn't the only tree man I know that tried the greatest Husqvarnas and went back to the turd stihls.

Been helping a tree guy that has an old 046 and a 372 and I asked him which he liked better and he said the 046 served him better and he thought it had more power .
From what i saw over the years typically, usually saws prior to the newer to newest generation, the Stihls lasted longer with less breakdowns. He made the remark he would like to get a couple 044's so i assume he is not sold on Husqvarna being better at least from his business stand point. He isn't the only tree man I know that tried the greatest Husqvarnas and went back to the turd stihls.
Stihls saws of that era are maybe marginally more reliable. They also ran like crap in stock form compared to a Husky. Along with much more vibration to the hands and crappier filtration.

Back when the 0 series and early 6 series saws were used out here in Oz, from the two mill owners / workers (who fell and cut timber on both sides of the country) I have spoken to a number of times, Stihl were the saw of choice in the woods out here, even with their deficiencies in av and filtration.

In fact, Stihls ms 660’s were made to different specifications than the rest of the world just for the Australian market… that hasn’t happened since that model. The only difference Husky did to their saws back then was to put a “hardwood” sticker on them as @rogue60 had mentioned before in a bid to get people to buy their saws because they weren’t selling well out here.

It’s not until you are pushing the saws to their max, having to run short bars and large capacity engines just to get through the timber, that you can really tell the subtle differences.

Latest posts

Back