Which would you prefer MS046 or MS0462

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Sawyer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A friend is looking at MS046mag which is supposed to in good condition vs buying a new MS462R (carb saw). From what I remember the 046 was a very good saw in it's time. So...whats your opinion... it is worth saving $350 difference in cost. From what I remember those 046 pull a long bar pretty well?

I always thought the 460 was kind of a turd in stock form.
I woukd go 462 based on anti vibe snd filtration alone.
Well I can tell you, my 046 certainly isn't a turd powerwise for what its worth. You make a good point about newer saws, about the antivibe I pretty much use all the newer stuff because of that.

Well I can tell you my 046 certainly isn't a turd for what its worth.
I based on running a 460 and a 372 back to back both stone stock. The 460 is very slightly faster in some circumstances, but not in others. The anti vibe was garbage as was the filtration system. Muffler mod the 372 and it was in the lead.
The stihl pro saws of that era were all turds IMO and a generation behind Husky performance wise.

I based on running a 460 and a 372 back to back both stone stock. The 460 is very slightly faster in some circumstances, but not in others. The anti vibe was garbage as was the filtration system. Muffler mod the 372 and it was in the lead.
The stihl pron saws of that era were all turds IMO and a generation behind Husky performance wise.
I had a lot of Husky's they ran great performance wise but the Stihl's held up better.

Probably biased here, as I ran 046's before I got stuck with a hydraulic chainsaw. Still have 4 of them, that will last me the rest of days. I wouldn't call them dogs by any means. Personally, I don't care for the new av on the newer Stihls, feels floppy,.. like a husky. I just like the solid feel the old saws had. Even if you have to clean the filter every day. Like running a race car, vs.a spongy tuna boat. I might feel different if I had to run one daily. That being said, a 046 is 20+ years old. So if the difference is only a couple hundred dollers, you would be better off with a new saw, unless the old one is very low hours. Imo, the Stihl saws from the 90's (pre epa regulation) are longer lived, tougher, and will pull chips as good as anything made today.

Probably biased here, as I ran 046's before I got stuck with a hydraulic chainsaw. Still have 4 of them, that will last me the rest of days. I wouldn't call them dogs by any means. Personally, I don't care for the new av on the newer Stihls, feels floppy,.. like a husky. I just like the solid feel the old saws had. Even if you have to clean the filter every day. Like running a race car, vs.a spongy tuna boat. I might feel different if I had to run one daily. That being said, a 046 is 20+ years old. So if the difference is only a couple hundred dollers, you would be better off with a new saw, unless the old one is very low hours. Imo, the Stihl saws from the late 90's (pre epa regulation) are longer lived, tougher, and will pull chips as good as anything made today.
Run an old one and a new one in a couple cuts each and notice how much the old one will vibrate your hands. Big difference.

Latest posts

Back