Which would you prefer MS046 or MS0462

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My logging buddy's shed shows pretty well the progression of saw tech, all his antique stuff is stihl then sometime in the late 80's he switched to husqy and pretty much hasn't ever looked back. He dies kinds fancy my ms400 when I'm around helping, but pretty much rely on his 572xp day in and day out.

Back when the 0 series and early 6 series saws were used out here in Oz, from the two mill owners / workers (who fell and cut timber on both sides of the country) I have spoken to a number of times, Stihl were the saw of choice in the woods out here, even with their deficiencies in av and filtration.

In fact, Stihls ms 660’s were made to different specifications than the rest of the world just for the Australian market… that hasn’t happened since that model. The only difference Husky did to their saws back then was to put a “hardwood” sticker on them as @rogue60 had mentioned before in a bid to get people to buy their saws because they weren’t selling well out here.

It’s not until you are pushing the saws to their max, having to run short bars and large capacity engines just to get through the timber, that you can really tell the subtle differences.
if rogue60 had said this I may have taken it differently, but considering you have basically no saw time with bigger saws or any saws for that matter. I find it real hard to take your opinion seriously on this. I'll tell you this much, a 390xp will cut whatever a 660 will, last every bit as long and has vastly superior av and filtration to boot.

if rogue60 had said this I may have taken it differently, but considering you have basically no saw time with bigger saws or any saws for that matter. I find it real hard to take your opinion seriously on this. I'll tell you this much, a 390xp will cut whatever a 660 will, last every bit as long and has vastly superior av and filtration to boot.
No worries, I’ll let @rogue60 share himself. Though, a quick google search saves time:
IMG_5986.jpegIMG_5985.png

Stihls saws of that era are maybe marginally more reliable. They also ran like crap in stock form compared to a Husky. Along with much more vibration to the hands and crappier filtration.
Stihls saws of that era are maybe marginally more reliable. They also ran like crap in stock form compared to a Husky. Along with much more vibration to the hands .
The the first 2 Husqvarna saws i bought of that era usually never ran well enough for long enough to outcut any brand saw in a days work . That's what i would call turds and crappie . The filtration and less vibration is nice, but on the other hand when saw maintnence was kept up I had no issues with the vibration on the av stihls. After a couple lemon Husqvarna's I was happy to service my air filters daily when i got back to stihls. It's really not that hard. I have a friend with a tree service uses Husqvarnas, for a long time he hardly ever cleaned his filters to the point his saws were running sickly. Happens slow enough guess he didn't notice until i pointed it out to him. I dispise using an ill running saw. Learned to keep air filters clean riding dirtbikes in my teens. It's nice not to need being concerned to during the day but being an easy 1 to 2 minute chore at fuel fill ups and a bit of compressed air at the beginning or end of a full day isn't that difficult to me.

The the first 2 Husqvarna saws i bought of that era usually never ran well enough for long enough to outcut any brand saw in a days work . That's what i would call turds and crappie . The filtration and less vibration is nice, but on the other hand when saw maintnence was kept up I had no issues with the vibration on the av stihls. After a couple lemon Husqvarna's I was happy to service my air filters daily when i got back to stihls. It's really not that hard. I have a friend with a tree service uses Husqvarnas, for a long time he hardly ever cleaned his filters to the point his saws were running sickly. Happens slow enough guess he didn't notice until i pointed it out to him. I dispise using an ill running saw. Learned to keep air filters clean riding dirtbikes in my teens. It's nice not to need being concerned to during the day but being an easy 1 to 2 minute chore at fuel fill ups and a bit of compressed air at the beginning or end of a full day isn't that difficult to me.
I ran 4 372's when I was logging and had very little issues with them. I also ran a Stihl 440. Again very little issues, but lasted no longer than the 372's. Also had a early Dolmar 7900. Didn't make it through it's first season before I spun it off.
Which model Huskies did you run, what were the problems you had and how long did they last?

Yes, a 390 will put cut a 660 and in spades. The 660 may have been the biggest boat anchor of the stihl line at that time. Ported they ran decent, but stock they were dogs.

One other comment. The majority of the guys mentioning Stihls of the era we are talking being more reliable and better perfoming than Huskys have never worn out a saw in their lives nor run one all day for years on end

Yes, a 390 will put cut a 660 and in spades. The 660 may have been the biggest boat anchor of the stihl line at that time. Ported they ran decent, but stock they were dogs.
Yeah you can hear and see videos of your (USA varient) 660s running and I agree they’re under powered, it’s a shame
you didn’t get the the 660 we did here in Australia. It’s the saw that everyone from that era to the present loved. As mentioned before, stihl made the 660 we got out here specifically for the Australian market. Totally different power to what you got.

Aussi 660:

underpowered USA 660:

Starting to take offense with btalker.

This enough use for ya.20240315_102309.jpg Bought that one new nearly 30 years ago. 5 out of six in my heap of dogs have thousands of hours of use in the first 15 years of my 30+ years of daily logging experience. 20240315_102459.jpgAll have the original cylinders on em, and still run great with more hp than any stock 372 ever had. I figure I've cut over 150 million board feet. The greatest majority with hydraulics, over the last 15 years, but seen it all, and run most of the saws, even the new ones.
My employer of the last 15 years was a husky man, I had a hand me down 372 in the back of my work truck that lasted a very short time before it squeaked. I'm not going to drag the brand through the mud because of it, or for the fact that it's not my preferred brand, that would be childish, and off topic

Starting to take offense with btalker.

This enough use for ya.View attachment 1162295 Bought that one new nearly 30 years ago. 5 out of six in my heap of dogs have thousands of hours of use in the first 15 years of my 30+ years of daily logging experience. View attachment 1162296All have the original cylinders on em, and still run great with more hp than any stock 372 ever had. I figure I've cut over 150 million board feet. The greatest majority with hydraulics, over the last 15 years, but seen it all, and run most of the saws, even the new ones.
My employer of the last 15 years was a husky man, I had a hand me down 372 in the back of my work truck that lasted a very short time before it squeaked. I'm not going to drag the brand through the mud because of it, or for the fact that it's not my preferred brand, that would be childish, and off topic
What a nice collection of old junk. Bravo!

Yeah you can hear and see videos of your (USA varient) 660s running and I agree they’re under powered, it’s a shame
you didn’t get the the 660 we did here in Australia. It’s the saw that everyone from that era to the present loved. As mentioned before, stihl made the 660 we got out here specifically for the Australian market. Totally different power to what you got.

Aussi 660:

underpowered USA 660:

So what was different on the Aussie models? Just a quick Google mentions they came with a dual port cover and Maybe a slightly bigger carb jet. Anything else?

Ben eats offense for breakfast. Lol. It’s just the start of another great day in MT
I probably should just hold my tongue, but these brand loyal retards that make comments like " I ran a Husky once and the darned thing blew up" get really old.
I currently have only Stihl saws, but I am also smart enough to realise that Husky makes a great saw too. That and back in the day the Stihls were antiquated turds compared to Husky's.

So what was different on the Aussie models? Just a quick Google mentions they came with a dual port cover and Maybe a slightly bigger carb jet. Anything else?
There were about 15 different 066/660 cylinder iterations just in the US over those years. I’m pretty certain you could change the scenario around and find a good one in the US compared to a ****** one in Oz as well. A larger or smaller jet isn’t going to change anything. And a small single hole in the muffler isn’t going to be night and day different either

There were about 15 different 066/660 cylinder iterations just in the US over those years. I’m pretty certain you could change the scenario around and find a good one in the US compared to a ****** one in Oz as well. A larger or smaller jet isn’t going to change anything. And a small single hole in the muffler isn’t going to be night and day different either
I suspected as much.
I can't say I've ever laid eyes on a Syihl dual port 660/066 muffler, but my 440 had a dual port factory cover on it. It made a small differance, but not a huge one. Of course the dual port cover only had a pretty small slit for the outlet.

I probably should just hold my tongue, but these brand loyal retards that make comments like " I ran a Husky once and the darned thing blew up" get really old.
I currently have only Stihl saws, but I am also smart enough to realise that Husky makes a great saw too. That and back in the day the Stihls were antiquated turds compared to Husky's.
They have tripple port mufflers, larger carburetors and different jetting, different base gaskets, different port shape, size and timing. I’m sure there are other differences. Maybe someone will chyme in.

Latest posts

Back