Opti-2 -- one oil to rule them all?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgamble

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm at the store stocking up on small parts, plugs, filters, etc.

Like many here I have a menagerie of 32:1 40:1 and 50:1 motors that use VP non ethanol fuel with WoodlandPro synthetic oil.

The clerk recommends Opti-2 mix oil to avoid the dedicated mix cans. I purchased the 2.5 gallon mix packet but before using it I wondered of anyone here has any experience with it & what that might be.

Thanks in advance -- Rick

http://opti2-4.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=165

I've got a Homelite Super 1050 my Dad bought back in the early 70's and every thing in between, up to my 2 year old Stihl 660. I use Stihl synthetic at 50:1 on every thing. I used to mix 40:1 for the 1050 when milling, but have stopped that, so I can mix 5 gallons at a time. As long as the 1050 keeps going, after 20 years of commercial use and then 25 years of me beating on it milling, I'm running everything on 50:1, Joe.

Oh no not an oil thread

Same thing here run all my 2 cycle motors on Amsoil interceptor 50:1 everything from weed whackers, saws, dirt bikes, and snowmobiles. More than 20 motors all happy on the same mix.

I wouldn't run it. I believe if you do the math the Opti-2 comes out to a 75:1 ratio. I would at least be mixing it at 50:1.

40:1 Lucas semi-syn, E10 premium for me. I do use the Stihl Ultra 50:1 in the FS130...supposed to keep the tiny valves cleaner so I stick with it.

Thanks all. My perspective is worst case you'd get a little smoke & maybe a clogged spark arrestor running 32:1 in a 50:1 application

As I got the 3.2 oz -- 90 ml packet I'll cut a little in with my regular mixes as I go.

We have a bunch of Opti I dug out of a shed, it's in bottles, maybe 12oz. It's probably 10-15 yrs old.

I set out maybe 50 bottles out front, have sold a good 25-30 of them in the last 2 weeks. I figured what the heck at $5 ea. Better than rotting in a shed.

It's worked fine for me, but I'm not too fussy.

Thanks all. My perspective is worst case you'd get a little smoke & maybe a clogged spark arrestor running 32:1 in a 50:1 application

As I got the 3.2 oz -- 90 ml packet I'll cut a little in with my regular mixes as I go.
Tuning is the main contributing factor when it comes to excessive smoke, plug fouling or screen buildup.

Says 6oz per 5 gal, so that's what, nearly 100:1?
I didn't pay attention to it, I followed the directions. Have run probably 30 gals of fuel at ~100:1

Nothing inherently wrong with it, run it at regular ratios. Just don't believe the marketing claims, it's just oil.

That's the issue. It's not "just oil". My Homelite 7-29 calls for 10:1, Homelite Super 77 and Homelite Zip are 16:1, Super 1050 32:1 and all my new saws are 50;1. All of my saws from the 32:1 mixes back call for an SAE straight 30 weight. All of those old saws run fine on 50:1. It's the formulae. The 50:1 now lubricates better than the straight 10:1 of 50-60 years ago. I would not run my new saws on straight SAE 30w at 50:1 thinking what the heck, it's just oil. It would probably work long enough for some one to say, "see, it works". But, 50 years from now, I doubt anyone would be bragging they are still running their fathers saws on 30W, Joe.

That's the issue. It's not "just oil". My Homelite 7-29 calls for 10:1, Homelite Super 77 and Homelite Zip are 16:1, Super 1050 32:1 and all my new saws are 50;1. All of my saws from the 32:1 mixes back call for an SAE straight 30 weight. All of those old saws run fine on 50:1. It's the formulae. The 50:1 now lubricates better than the straight 10:1 of 50-60 years ago. I would not run my new saws on straight SAE 30w at 50:1 thinking what the heck, it's just oil. It would probably work long enough for some one to say, "see, it works". But, 50 years from now, I doubt anyone would be bragging they are still running their fathers saws on 30W, Joe.
I think he meant "it is just 2 stroke oil.' I dont buy the 100:1 claims. I always run the Husky synthetic stuff at 50:1 or the Woodland pro synthetic. Yet to have an issue with either. They work well and are cheap.

Brother I know it's not sae 30, it's two cycle oil, so it doesn't have metallic AW additives and so in. Two cycle oil use polymer additives so the burn off in the combustion process. The fact is Option2 is a blend of synthetic an conventional base stocks, nothing apical, it's certainly not Ester based, which is still the gold standard for any high end oil IMHO.

Less fumes I have to breathe, the better. Not to mention good oil isn't all that cheap. Have run 50:1 for years, commercial use, haven't seen a reason to go otherwise. Some of the old saws here in the shop call for 10:1, but that was 50+ years ago. Doesn't mean I'm gonna do it!
Kind of nice being able to go somewhere and not stink up the whole place of 2 stroke too.

Latest posts

Back