Opti-2 -- one oil to rule them all?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think he meant "it is just 2 stroke oil.' I dont buy the 100:1 claims. I always run the Husky synthetic stuff at 50:1 or the Woodland pro synthetic. Yet to have an issue with either. They work well and are cheap.
I've posted pictures of a few engines ran on one of these 100:1 wonder oils, not good! It's really hard to imagine these oil threads still pop up regularly. Any 2 cycle designed for air cooled engines, that meets the appropriate standards, mixed at reasonable ratios is going to work just fine.

The comparison is not applicable in any way.
Brother I know it's not sae 30, it's two cycle oil, so it doesn't have metallic AW additives and so in. Two cycle oil use polymer additives so the burn off in the combustion process. The fact is Option2 is a blend of synthetic an conventional base stocks, nothing apical, it's certainly not Ester based, which is still the gold standard for any high end oil IMHO.

Gothcha gotcha. I thought you meant oil is oil. I remember a couple times back in the 70's, my Dad grabbing a quart of straight 30, because we ran out of mix. The Amoco we dealt at carried 2 stroke oil, but all Amoco Stations didn't. He sent me in a different station to get a quart of mix. I came back out and said they didn't have any. He sent me back in for the 30W and I asked, "can you you this stuff". He said sure, that's all we used to have, it won't hurt in a pinch, Joe.

My dad tried to run one of my saws on straight gas, it lasted about 10 minutes. I use 50:1 in everything. My father in law always used sae 30 in his poulan and the smoke was terrible but it still runs.

Holy Thread resurrection! Not exactly another oil thread but related. It sounds like most see the metal to metal areas are effectively protected. Any first hand observations in the condition of crankshaft seal condition and carburetor components after many years of using Opti2. Any input would be appreciated about how rubber and carb inerts looked and felt after long term Opti2 use. I apologize if this thread resurrection offended anyone but most sawdiophiles are the easily offended types.

Back