Options for a trail saw, something tiny

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for motorcycle trail clearing I use an echo top handle, 30 cc, 12 inch bar. Not a very hot saw, but reliable as a rock, light. I know it is a safety issue and you always have to bbe alert, but one handing while holding brush and one hand on the saw to me is safer, faster and more effective than two handed saw with brush going who knows where. Grasp, bend brush, saw off, toss to side, repeat.
Coupl aluminum Sigg bottles of mix and oil and some spare parts and tools and go.

I'd also suggest carrying a metal bow saw, Silky jacknife saw, or folding Schmidt packsaw as a backup.

I have a "white" version 009 that really works great with the 14" b/c and my echo cs3400 is a pretty sweet little saw as well. I run a 14" on that one as well. Both are handy little saws, take up very little room, are both pretty reliable, and with a good chain on, will cut thru most anything you can throw at it when it comes to branches, brush and limbs.

Nice hunting rig!

I picked up an echo 3000 for just such a task, well clearing trails with my snowmachine. Anyhow, I'd wanted a husky arborist saw, but used ones are either beat to heck, or just too expensive for a saw that would see occasional use and might just get destroyed in a rollover of the sled.

The thing with Alaska is there aren't cheap small chainsaws in every garage sale or on craigslist. So that means a used saw is likely an ebay thing with shipping that will cost as much as an inexpensive saw. Hence a saw that still has readily available replacement parts is essential.

The echo 3000/3400 or 300/340 is a good little saw, parts are available and if you find one needing a little work it could be had pretty cheap. I got mine for $44, $74 shipped. The only problem was the fuel primer pump was cracked, $5.95 for a new one shipped. Sharpened the chain, backed the high and low needles out 1/8 turn and it's a cutting machine.

Forgot to add, the one essential trail clearing tool is a Gerber brush cutter. It'll go through anything 1" and under in one swing, and I delight in clearing devils club with it.

21ffco0+8+l.jpg

Last edited:
The thing with Alaska is there aren't cheap small chainsaws in every garage sale or on craigslist.
That is the truth. Any saw capable of cutting firewood sells for $200 here. That means I look for something elsewhere. Thanks for the suggestions so far folks. I'm going to do some reading today and see what I can come up with.

I love my little Stihl MS 180 for small stuff. It is a little screamer, and with a sharp chain.... i can cut some NICE seasoned 12inch oak with it. AND FAST I just dont give it too much pressure. Sharp chain. Set Rakers, and Let the chips fly. :)

Trail saw

I just picked up a new trail truck and will be outfitting it with tracks for winter hunting trips. I am looking for the smallest saw I can find for keeping the trails clear. I mainly will be cutting Alder brush with it, and at the most some limbing duty. There are very few trees in the areas that I will be going but the brush gets pretty thick. Any reccomendations for a full time tiny truck saw? It will be riding in my roof basket, the smaller the better.
27zajrd.jpg

Jason, Your PM box is full! If you clear it a bit, I can send the reply.
Stayner(SCHallenger)

HIJACK alert :jester:

I just picked up a new trail truck and will be outfitting it with tracks for winter hunting trips. .....
27zajrd.jpg

That rig have enough power for tracks? Double transfer case maybe?

4.9:1 gears, lockers and high compression 16v 1600cc engine swap. Should pull pretty good.

There is a hunting rig just like that here (were I live) and it runs a extra tire/rim on each wheel it sure makes a wide foot print and it's light as could be

Hoping to find something older or at least inexpensive. I mostly will be cutting 4" or so and only occasionally so a pro saw is not that important. Are the 009's worth a look? I think a friend has one that he's not using.

Try to find an older version (older than the last couple of years when Tanaka got bought out). I have an older version of this saw, and it is truly light and a great performer. Tanaka tools are commercial grade.

Tanaka Chain Saw-32cc 12in #ECS-3301 W/844001 B&C | eBay

They can be hard to find. I like the idea of the older small Poulans. Tons of them out there cheap, and they would be great for what you're doing.

you could probable buy or piece together 8 or 10 Homie XLs , Mini Macs, or Poulons for the price of a
MS220t. Learn a lot about fixing and troubleshooting in the process. Just saying.

Knew I had a picture somewhere, the gerber chopper is more capable than you might think.

6211070521_68D7E619EFF3506BAC323113D326F5F0.JPG

A few years back my boys and I were helping clear some land for our church and they decided to see what was faster cutting through a ~10" dia willow, a gerber chopper or a wetterlings hatchet. It was a tie. The thing with an axe or a hatchet is they don't work well for mid limb, not so with a chopper.

591108768_06332BE7682F8C303978382AE427E514.JPG

Cleared trail, a few moons back. Can't believe these little guys are now teenagers!

Have you considered a chainsaw on a stick? I really like clearing my property lines with it, lots of shrubs and small trees.

My pole saw is a "trimmer plus" setup, basically I take the head off my weed eater and mount it in the bar. The attachment was $100, has about an 8"bar and adjustable oiler. Best part is you pop it apart when you're not using it and the biggest part is just a weed eater engine. Trimmer plus weed eaters are a dime a dozen.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Poulan Wood Shark or Wild thing. Cheap, do the job, and when they get stolen (everything does) you will just shrug your shoulders and say, "Best 25.00 I ever missed". :msp_biggrin:

IMO I'd get an 009/010/011/012 saw. They are an under appreciated, saw but serve their niche good.

I just picked up a new trail truck and will be outfitting it with tracks for winter hunting trips. I am looking for the smallest saw I can find for keeping the trails clear. I mainly will be cutting Alder brush with it, and at the most some limbing duty. There are very few trees in the areas that I will be going but the brush gets pretty thick. Any reccomendations for a full time tiny truck saw? It will be riding in my roof basket, the smaller the better.
27zajrd.jpg

Zooki off roaders rock, they are more capable of getting into far off dirty places with a few jerry cans stuck in the back than most of there more hefty counterparts.

http://i.imgur.com/ZG56J.jpg

(belongs to a mate)

Latest posts

Back