Options for a trail saw, something tiny

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Craftsman 2.0 (Poulan 2000) with a 10" bar. I've never met a smaller saw.

Some people say the Stihl ms 170 is junk when it comes to cutting and i agree its ceaply made BUT it does cut 12'' oak with ease and IT has got me out of a bind or two before.
On the other hand-

I was on the dolmar website looking at the ps 32 and I like it... adjustable oiler, side acess chain tension, cute little steel bucking spike. Seems like a pretty good deal

I carry my Echo 330T on trail/camping runs in the truck or SUV, not only to cut trees that are across the trail, but for cutting downed firewood in the evenings, for campfires.

At my grandparents tree farm, both ATVs have milk crates on the racks with the smaller 31cc top handle Echos on them, with fuel/oil/scrench and a set of fiskars pruning shears for anything under 1". Those things get used daily to keep trails open and such, for years, and he hasn't had any problems with them. (Same size as the 341, but 31cc instead of 34cc. Recently replaced by the 27cc model i think)

Mike

Last edited:
attachment.php

man that thing is cute now roll it over and scratch his belly :haha:

I ussually have my husky 334T with me when i am offroading or going on a hunting trip. the 334is a great saw with plenty of zip just keep it sharp. i just picked up a decent 020T for 100$ it seems to rip pretty good.

here is my rig. 4-1crawl ratio,513gears, arb lockers, and 36'' swampers will get you into some trouble

DSC02828.jpg

The older 020av/p saws are great, and can be had for cheap. The only problem is repairing them if they go down.
The MS180 is a great saw, and can be had new for a reasonable price, and parts are easy to get.

Or get one of the vehicle mounted saw scabbards, and mount it behind your spare tire or off the rear bumper. That way, the size of the saw doesn't really matter. You could drop your firewood saw in when you are using the truck, and have a decent size saw at hand when you need it, without having to buy another saw. Or go ahead and buy a saw just for the truck, but at least you aren't regulated to tiny little saws.

The little Dolmars are very popular in German threads. They have a lot of good features in an affordable package. The new model ps35 just came out with 35cc and 2.3hp. That would also be a great little trail saw.

Back