Oregon 511ax grinder vise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memory

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have the Oregon 511ax grinder and have a question about the vise. When it is not clamped, should there be any movement in both sides of the vise? It has quite a bit. Not sure if it was like this when it was new, didn't check it and never noticed any issues. One reason I noticed it recently is because when sharpening a chain, I noticed I was able to pull part of the chain out of the vise when it was clamped.

When the vise is clamped, there should NOT be any movement of the portion of the chain that is being ground, a few links either side may be a bit loose. If the vise isn't clamping properly, you may have to adjust the screw that adjusts the position of the rear rail, it's there to enable you to ensure that the centre line of the chain is on the centre line that the vise pivots on but if you are sharpening a narrow gauge drive link, you may just have to turn it in to give more clamping pressure.

Back