Oregon 551462 Centering Adjustment -- Is there one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Full manual below...

dymumeny.jpg
y4u5yqem.jpg
ytu2u4a8.jpg
ujydutem.jpg
pybugudu.jpg
3u9aja5u.jpg
9a6ere2a.jpg
5anery5e.jpg
tebybaha.jpg
u7ebyzy2.jpg
u9atamy8.jpg
5ujubybe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, as terrifically informative as all oregon manuals go... Disgusting that this is accepted as an owners manual

I think that everyone agrees that the manuals for most sawchain grinders stink (and that is a charitable word).

The manuals for the new grinders take it a step further, and use more pictograms, so that it stinks in all languages equally.

I once offered to translate/rewrite the Tecomec Speed Sharp manual, in exchange for a free grinder: it would have been cheap for them at their cost. I never heard back from them.

Philbert

I think that everyone agrees that the manuals for most sawchain grinders stink (and that is a charitable word).

The manuals for the new grinders take it a step further, and use more pictograms, so that it stinks in all languages equally.

I once offered to translate/rewrite the Tecomec Speed Sharp manual, in exchange for a free grinder: it would have been cheap for them at their cost. I never heard back from them.

Philbert

I have to say, that is incredibly unfortunate to them... How a company can say no to an offer as inexpensive as that is beyond me

All I want is a grinder (regardless of model) that can grind left and right cutters equally. Why is this so hard to ask? Lol

Nope. One of the big sales points of the 511AX is a self-centering vise. They also claim 'improved grinder geometry' and a wheel wear features that help keep the chain centered.

Philbert

yes, but that's the problem. we've spent nearly a week trying to center dr d's "self centering" chain vise without success. i'm assuming that what they mean by self centering is that both sides of the vise move, hopefully, toward the center. it's new and improved by the rubber ruler guys in the tecomec engineering dept. the wear compensating feature is a pair of screws that you can loosen to slide the chain vise assembly forward to an index mark on the angle index. you can do that with out the two screws, screwy. i think i'll be staying with the 511a. at this point it should outlast me.

I wanted to revisit this and let everyone know what I had to know what I had to do to "center" this vise since there is nothing in the owners manual...

First, I took off the retaining ring for the gauge selection knob

ypety7y2.jpg

uperabu4.jpg

Turn the "dial" the knob was attached to in order to adjust the jaw inward or outward with a chain in the vise to get the left and right cutters equal...

Reinstall the knob with the correct gauge pointing upwards... Your vise jaws are now centered, no thanks to the owners manual.

I don't know what oregon means by self centering, but I can reassure you that it had nothing to do with equal cutter distance. If anyone wants to know more about how I had to adjust the grinder, please let me know and I will be happy to share how I fixed the issue.

I wanted to revisit this and let everyone know what I had to know what I had to do to "center" this vise since there is nothing in the owners manual...

First, I took off the retaining ring for the gauge selection knob

Turn the "dial" the knob was attached to in order to adjust the jaw inward or outward with a chain in the vise to get the left and right cutters equal...

Reinstall the knob with the correct gauge pointing upwards... Your vise jaws are now centered, no thanks to the owners manual.

seems to me that this grinder just went from total loser to an improved design. though i would still go with the 511ax over the hydraulic model. you have to wonder why tecomec ships this product without adjusting it first. Thanks dr d for sharing.

I don't know what oregon means by self centering, but I can reassure you that it had nothing to do with equal cutter distance. If anyone wants to know more about how I had to adjust the grinder, please let me know and I will be happy to share how I fixed the issue.

that would be me. how did you figure it out? does your forehead ache where you slapped it after your epiphany?

So, how did this grinder work out for you? Pros & cons?

I'll post a step by step with pictures tonight when I get off work.

And yes, I did slap myself pretty hard when I realized what needed to be done... lol

I'm looking at purchasing either the 511ax or the 551462. After all you've figured out, which would you choose?

I Hope Doktor d didn't slap his head so hard that he killed over
and wont ever be back to fill in the last part of the saga!

Yeah, that knee juice always makes me little boisterous.

Latest posts

Back