Oregon 551462 grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Locoweed

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm still learning how to properly use this this thing & I noticed that the chain stop tended to raise the link when pulling the chain back against it. So I happened to remember that the Stihl USG grinder had a different stop on it. Turns out there is a good reason IMHO.

At first I thought is was because the back of the tooth on Stihl 325x063 has a angle on it.

1.jpg

So I dragged out a link of Carlton.

2.jpg
Hmm, guess again.

So I went to the Stihl site & looked at their grinder & decided to try something like theirs. One piece of 3/8 scrap & some hand tools created this. Crude maybe, but effective.

3.jpg

4.jpg

Here is the original.

5.jpg

& mine. Longer spring & a spacer needed.

6.jpg
Was this causing a problem?? Is it happening to the non hydraulic grinders?? Am I anal retentive?? Probably. Even if it fixed a non problem I think it is better than the original.

I'm still learning how to properly use this this thing & I noticed that the chain stop tended to raise the link when pulling the chain back against it. So I happened to remember that the Stihl USG grinder had a different stop on it. Turns out there is a good reason IMHO. ...

Was this causing a problem?? Is it happening to the non hydraulic grinders?? Am I anal retentive?? Probably. Even if it fixed a non problem I think it is better than the original.

interesting experiment, chains do occasionally move up as you close the vice making that cutter non-uniform. i'd like to see that stop with a very short cutter that has been sharpened many times. your wheel may hit the stop. happens some times with stock stops. not crude, just home brew. nice work.

mines non hydraulic and does the same thing but i just push it back into the stop with the raker. works for me. looking for a square grinder though. :)

interesting experiment, chains do occasionally move up as you close the vice making that cutter non-uniform. i'd like to see that stop with a very short cutter that has been sharpened many times. your wheel may hit the stop. happens some times with stock stops. not crude, just home brew. nice work.

Yep, I can move the stop side to side enough to get it out of the way.

Latest posts

Back