Oregon Ash + pruning questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manuel_59

Reaction score
My questions are specific to Oregon Ash. I'm not familiar with this species habits having just moved here recently.

Back in the winter of 2011-2012 we had about 15"-18" of wet concrete-like snow dumped in a short period of time in southern Puget Sound area. This really tore up the trees around here, especially the more brittle oregon ash. It looks like the Adams family haunted home site on a moon lit night around here.

We have 2 separate stands of mature oregon ash about 30'-50' tall. One with 4-6 trees. The other with 10-12 trees. They all need some TLC. Neither stand is near enough to fall on buildings, however they are near enough that we look at them daily. We'd like to prune them so they look nicer.

My question is: How do mature oregon ash react to pruning? Howz about severe pruning 1/4 to 1/3 of top? Do they rebound well?

It looks to me like severe pruning 1/4 to 1/3 of top would be more straight forward than trying to get at broken limbs only.

Attachments

• DSC_7073_oregon ash_snow damage.jpg
    DSC_7073_oregon ash_snow damage.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 12
Ideally you're going to want to cut only the damaged parts of the tree. Let the tree recover from that shock and come back a couple years later and shape them more to your liking. This will minimize the shock to the tree. You want to avoid "topping" the tree. It's possible the top can be taken back to viable leads to improve symmetry.

I live and work near the Portland area and regularly work on Oregon ash. 1/4 would be ok. Never top a mature tree. Tip cut heavy outlying branches to reduce fall sead pods which get heavy and cause branches to snap. Be careful and never trust the tree to hold your weight unless you've worked with them a lot and know them really well. If you use a latter, tie the top to the tree. Pole pruners are a great tool, use them.

We all agree...Ideally you're going to want to cut only the damaged parts of the tree....
Never top a mature tree.
I notice more than a few ash recruits in the area.Cleaning up the lower branching will make a bit of space for the recruits.Ash are fast growing.won't take long to fill the area....If they're that ugly,pull them down ...more room for the new ones.
cheers

A orchard ladder to shape a hedge,shrub or bush is one thing. Using ladders to do tree work on a osage orange (hedge tree) or any other tree that is above you, not good.

I see your point but remember that Manuel is not a climber and wont have the gear that we have. His options are limited and working from a ladder that is tied to the tree would be safer for him than trying to work in the tree without a harness and not tied in. Home owners do it all the time. I figured he would probably do it from a ladder regardless of what we say based on a lack of options. Better that he does it with the top of the ladder tied than not.

Latest posts

Back