oregon power sharp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There have been a couple of good threads evaluating the Power Sharp and I would tell you to search except search don't work ! ! !

The gist is that is works surprisingly well.

They work but you still have to file the gullet out every now and then.

There are other reasons to use this tool. Can you sharpen your chain in 3 seconds?

I suppose they have their uses and if i was cutting all day with a saw that the system would fit i could see it. Or hanging 80' up a pine tree and you don't want to come down to get a fresh chain...Bob

I see it as a tool for Johnny Homeowner that buys his wild thing at WM or goes to Lowes or Depot and picks up his Husky/poulan and uses it to cut him a half a cord or cord for the fireplace or trims some trees up in the yard or the one time storm clean up. By the time you by the whole system you could have bought a cheap grinder or clamp on file guide. Better yet you could have contacted a local AS member or go to your saw shop and have them send 30 minutes with you and learn how to hand file a chain. I've taught a bunch of people, most catch on within 15 to 30 minutes for basic sharpening. I see it as a marketing gimmick that will go away within two or three years.

i was at a stihl dealer the other day pickin up a bar and chain for our 036 and i saw he had some powersharp kits hangin on the wall and asked him if he was sellin much of them. he said hes sold some but he probly could sell a lot more if they made them for bigger saws. occasional firewood/farm saws like 50cc class.

i was at a stihl dealer the other day pickin up a bar and chain for our 036 and i saw he had some powersharp kits hangin on the wall and asked him if he was sellin much of them. he said hes sold some but he probly could sell a lot more if they made them for bigger saws. occasional firewood/farm saws like 50cc class.

Yes, if these fit the 290/390, 55/455 Ranchers, the Husky 345 or 350, we wouldn't be able to keep them in stock.

Yes, if these fit the 290/390, 55/455 Ranchers, the Husky 345 or 350, we wouldn't be able to keep them in stock.

E&E i was just on your site looking around and a 14" B&C system for my little Echo would be 68 bucks and prob 10+ bucks to ship i really can't see any cost savings using this system compared to what i have now. Now if it was a saw that i only had one chain for and i never took it off until it was plumb wore out but i like to take off my B&C and clean it before the next time so there isn't any savings there. Plus where does all the grit go from the sharpenings go besides down in the bar groove, just wondering...Bob

right,and if you dont know how to rebuild the motor in your car you shouldnt be driving

Actually its more like driving without a licence, this set up is for yuppys that hate chain saws and only want to do the least possible work. There is no way this set up would be any good for anyone that does any real cutting based on cost alone.

It looks to me like another gimmic to market to people that are clueless. It may be OK for someone that owns a small saw that gets rarely used and doesn't care to learn how to sharpen a chain , but I cannot see anyone that uses their equipment hard buying them very often.

I can't see any cost effectiveness at all buying something that expensive in lieu of the standard b/c.

Anyone hand filling these chains yet? I am just curious if the old jig oregon put out for the older style like this will work on the new ones.
Bob

Anyone hand filling these chains yet? I am just curious if the old jig oregon put out for the older style like this will work on the new ones.
Bob

In another thread on this topic an engineer from Oregon answered "no" to your question. The new chain is different from the old and the sharpening systems are not compatible either.

In another thread on this topic an engineer from Oregon answered "no" to your question. The new chain is different from the old and the sharpening systems are not compatible either.

The chain is similiar maybe not exact but the same prinicipal. Yes they moved the stone from under the bar cover to a removeable gismo that hooks on a special bar. So since you can't adapt any bar you are limited to what they have a system for...Bob

Latest posts

Back