Oregon vs. Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carlton and stihl seem about the same hardness. The carlton I have is semi chisel and the stihl chisel. Stihl will out last oregon as far as staying sharp but in most places near me it's 1/3 to 1/2 more per loop. If you buy stihl by the roll then the price is very close. Cutting speed for me is about the same since I grind them from new before I ever put them on a saw.

None of them cut worth a #### utill they're ground or hand filed..I like the Oregon CL/CLX because it is a titch softer, easier to give a quick brush file to.

PS...Mike, where do you get the Stihl chain by the roll for a comparable price to Oregon?....PM if you like - Sam

i love my Oregon 91vxl on my smaller saws it absolutely rips and stays sharp forever. not really a .325 fan so i guess i have a select few carlton loops for my husky and poulan(trying to convert to 91VXL). i have had to sharpen all brands of them at work. i like the oregon chain the best good middle road not overly hard the carlton stuff is odd the metal just feel less dense than the others. i've seen stihl chain stop on a wire in a log and break a clutch the stuff is hard metal...but i'd rather waste a chain thank blow a drum/clutch. i'm no pro cutter but as long as it's an aggressive chain and it rips i'll use it till i can't use it no more!

i run 72lpx on the bigger guys, and i swear the stuff gets sharper if your cutting hardwood

Last edited:
Stihl is the only maker of chainsaws on the planet that manufactures their own cutting chain… all others out-source it. But in all fairness, that doesn't necessarily mean that the chain made by Oregon and re-badged for Husqvarna is identical to the chain badged as Oregon... there isn't anything stopping Husqvarna from requesting a certain spec, if Oregon agrees to build it (understand, I don't know if that is happening, I'm just sayin' it's possible, and does happen with other products in the marketplace).

LOL… The wife keeps my “bits” in her purse, and only gives them back on a temporary basis… and then only for her own selfish reasons.

RSC and RMC (yeah i stocked up) or RS and RM i never cared for Oregon chain i just felt right to me and i can get Stihl chain cheaper. I just wish they still made the PM or PMC (Picco non-safety semi chisel) it was nice on a 200t.

i love my Oregon 91vxl on my smaller saws it absolutely rips and stays sharp forever. not really a .325 fan so i guess i have a select few carlton loops for my husky and poulan(trying to convert to 91VXL). i have had to sharpen all brands of them at work. i like the oregon chain the best good middle road not overly hard the carlton stuff is odd the metal just feel less dense than the others. i've seen stihl chain stop on a wire in a log and break a clutch the stuff is hard metal...but i'd rather waste a chain thank blow a drum/clutch. i'm no pro cutter but as long as it's an aggressive chain and it rips i'll use it till i can't use it no more!

i run 72lpx on the bigger guys, and i swear the stuff gets sharper if your cutting hardwood
I really like the 91 too, though I have not got any 91VXL yet. I used to use the 91VG, which held up well and cut OK, but the 91PX they now sell as standard replacement everywhere is much faster. The ramped drive links are not really obtrusive and allow room for chips in the cut. The longer cutters of the VXL would be nice though. I have some loops of the 91VG which I ground the shark fins off of and the 91PX is equal, so I don't bother with that much anymore.

The stuff just works and can handle the junk typical of gathering firewood from deadfall, which is what I usually do.

I cut about 10-15 cords of firewood for myself and friend of mine every year plus an additional 10 cord for selling...
Although I prefer the 72LBX but The 72LPX isn’t considerably different they both stay evenly sharp IMO!
The 72LPX does seem to bore cut smoother than 72LBX
I KNOW THIS IS HUSKY CHAIN BUT HERE IS WHAT I DO TO EVERY NEW CHAIN OUT OF THE BOX!!
1st pic is new out of box!!!!
2nd pic is same tooth after I HAND file with a double beveled flat file (square filing)

Attachments

• 98794AED-6BB8-40B4-9B2C-BE8D2FDA79B2.jpeg
    98794AED-6BB8-40B4-9B2C-BE8D2FDA79B2.jpeg
    329.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 5CD4AB92-D329-4C23-88CE-775767920472.jpeg
    5CD4AB92-D329-4C23-88CE-775767920472.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
I cut about 10-15 cords of firewood for myself and friend of mine every year plus an additional 10 cord for selling...
Although I prefer the 72LBX but The 72LPX isn’t considerably different they both stay evenly sharp IMO!
I KNOW THIS IS HUSKY CHAIN BUT HERE IS WHAT I DO TO EVERY NEW CHAIN OUT OF THE BOX!!
2nd pic is same tooth after I HAND file with a double beveled flat file (square filing)
Stihl chain I’ve used few different times all types but IMO they don’t compare to Oregon chains!!! Stihl FC chain may compete with semi chisel or low profile Oregon chain... IMO

I don’t know why it says LBX but LGX it was meant to say

Stihl chain I’ve used few different times all types but IMO they don’t compare to Oregon chains!!! Stihl FC chain may compete with semi chisel or low profile Oregon chain... IMO
Yeah, well that is YOUR opinion. Oregon and Carlton (now owned by Oregon) do not compare to Stihl. Carlton used to be good until they were bought out by Oregon. Both used to be made here locally, but now Oregon is Oregon in name only. Both are made of-shore someplace now. Many sites online compare Oregon and Stihl head to head in many tests and Stihl comes out ahead of every other chain out there.

Another noob (or recycled AS band camp member?) here trolling and stirring the old post shyte? Husky fan trashing Stihl? Same old crusty crap. Similar to oil threads being dragged up from the dead by noobs here lately.

Yeah, well that is YOUR opinion. Oregon and Carlton (now owned by Oregon) do not compare to Stihl. Carlton used to be good until they were bought out by Oregon. Both used to be made here locally, but now Oregon is Oregon in name only. Both are made of-shore someplace now. Many sites online compare Oregon and Stihl head to head in many tests and Stihl comes out ahead of every other chain out there.

Another noob (or recycled AS band camp member?) here trolling and stirring the old post shyte? Husky fan trashing Stihl? Same old crusty crap. Similar to oil threads being dragged up from the dead by noobs here lately.
So why am I not aloud to have my opinion without trolling or a noob or whatever else I read yours didn’t talk crap about you? I have just as many Stihl saws as husky
Stihl
Husky
2-372’s
2-266’s
And run Oregon bars and chains on both.. why? Because I prefer them and well ,it’s my god given right an I can! That’s why..... I don’t look at ages of posts either so keep on keeping on!

mans I totally respect YOUR OPINION! Not gonna bash you for it... other then your obviously a Stihl fan and doing same as you assume im doing as you say I’m a husky fan and trashing stihl

As well there’s many sights out there compare Stihl and Oregon chains and Oregon comes out ahead as well

As well there’s many sights out there compare Stihl and Oregon chains and Oregon comes out ahead as well
I’m just baffled by how you take my opinion and then bash me as if I’m a noob just trying to trash Stihl... which is only your assumption and your out in left field with that crap

I’m just baffled by how you take my opinion and then bash me as if I’m a noob just trying to trash Stihl... which is only your assumption and your out in left field with that crap
Perhaps you put a picture of a really acute angle on the cutter and say you do 20+ cord a year.
Perhaps you choose to quote multiple times instead of using the edit function.
Whether folks bump old threads on purpose when recent ones would suffice for similar content could be due to some suggested reading the site software uses is a consideration.
Times are moving along Oregon now has EXL in the 3/8 class. I do believe it has bested Stihl in out of the box testing by some folks. Husqvarna makes chain now and many new players, hard to follow which are branding and which are manufacturing. Oregon now has M series with extra layers of chrome. Pretty hard for someone to try all the choices in just one class.

Perhaps you put a picture of a really acute angle on the cutter and say you do 20+ cord a year.
Whether folks bump old threads on purpose when recent ones would suffice for similar content could be due to some suggested reading the site software uses is a consideration.
Times are moving along Oregon now has EXL in the 3/8 class. I do believe it has bested Stihl in out of the box testing by some folks. Husqvarna makes chain now and many new players, hard to follow which are branding and which are manufacturing. Oregon now has M series with extra layers of chrome. Pretty hard for someone to try all the choices in just one class.
I get that and that’s fine his opinion as well as mine I’m new here but not to cutting wood I’m not old but 42.... I actually like the x-cut c-85 chain and will switch over to it.... sure I’ll definitely get blasted again cuz I’m a husky fan.... but in the bush 55-60% I got a Stihl with me my ms461 but my decked an ported 372xp or 266xp and 562xp are 1-1/2 of that 461 and always close cause 461 is heavy vs power ratio I feel but who am I I’m just a noob..... and just cause I’m ok with my type-O mistakes and don’t use the edit to fix them I’m blasted for that too.... I know how to edit.... but it’d ya can’t show ya flaws and absolutely gotta be perfect everyday I don’t want anything to do with it.... I’m not perfect by no means and I don’t care if it bugs anybody that I reply to my own post rather then edit it.... freaking block me or don’t read.... thanks, have wonderful day in the bush....

I run Husky, Oregon, and Stihl chains, and honestly can't tell a difference. I pretty much buy what is cheapest of the 3. Bout the only time I run Stihl chains is when I need a chain made for me. 32" and .404 chains are not hanging off any peg boards in my area.

M series is saftey chain with bumper style takers, correct?

Well, you are a noob here with only 14 posts bub. And you are coming off trash talking Stihl in your multiple posts. You are a Husky fan? Great. I am a Stihl fan. I have had and run all the larger Husky saws myself. The build quality is sub par IMO! I also prefer outboard clutches. So I do not run them any more. Like it or not. But all you have done here is trash talk Stihl even more. Your posts are very typical of trolls on this site that pop up over and over again as noobs and try to start fights trashing product and adding to old stale posts.... just like you have here. You come out swinging here, you are going to get a lot of flap. My guess is that is what you are after. Cruisin' for a bruisin'. Good luck with that.

Back