Oregon X series chains???? switcheroo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuttinscott

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Looks Like Oregon has been playing with the NEW X series chains. We have noticed on long bar applications the chains running a little dry and alot of build up in the bar groove with a few customers. Now I see that Oregon has changed how they assemble the new chassis. it was std driver then the NEW rudder link then standard driver etc etc. Now it it 2 standard drivers then a rudder link at least on what I have gotten recently I also saw a pic of the LPX with no rudder link?? So far all I have stocked in the X series is LGX. I will call my rep next week and try to get the low down on whats up.

Scott

Looks Like Oregon has been playing with the NEW X series chains. We have noticed on long bar applications the chains running a little dry and alot of build up in the bar groove with a few customers. Now I see that Oregon has changed how they assemble the new chassis. it was std driver then the NEW rudder link then standard driver etc etc. Now it it 2 standard drivers then a rudder link at least on what I have gotten recently I also saw a pic of the LPX with no rudder link?? So far all I have stocked in the X series is LGX. I will call my rep next week and try to get the low down on whats up.

Scott

Scott,
Last week we attended a meeting held by Pitt Power Products, got to meet some Oregon factory reps. He says they had too many complaints of build-up in the groove, using the new X series with standard-rudder-standard-rudder. So they switched to the standard-standard-rudder-standard-standard-rudder sequence, he claims that seems to have taken care of that particular problem. As far as LPX not having any rudder, that I don't know.
Maybe the rudder idea won't turn out to be so great?

72 CJX had been my Oregon chain of choice before switching to Stihl. It has the standard dl's. I don't think I have any of the new rudder chain yet and maybe I never will now.

Scott

We have had no trouble with the 73LGX on Witchys 5100, but that may be due to the relatively short bar (16"). :)

Some time ago, I rocked out the chain on it, and the spare I had handy was a new 73LP - I notised that the cutting became a bit smoother (no surprise really), and at least as fast.

Why don't you carry the LPX?

I haven't tried any of the LGX yet, as I still have plenty of Stihl RS and the original LG to use up.
Got any pics of the funky rudder you are talking about? Is/was it an oil channel (to carry oil) or more for vibration dampning?

Demand and Supply

We have had no trouble with the 73LGX on Witchys 5100, but that may be due to the relatively short bar (16"). :)

Some time ago, I rocked out the chain on it, and the spare I had handy was a new 73LP - I notised that the cutting became a bit smoother (no surprise really), and at least as fast.

Why don't you carry the LPX?

99% of my customers (Walk In) preferred LG vs LP So that is what I supply I do have LP in stock the roll is probably 5 years old.... It just is not a fast mover for me...

Scott

I haven't tried any of the LGX yet, as I still have plenty of Stihl RS and the original LG to use up.
Got any pics of the funky rudder you are talking about? Is/was it an oil channel (to carry oil) or more for vibration dampning?

From oregonchain.com:
StabL-Link™ drive links, dramatically increase stability in the cut, (patent pending)

99% of my customers (Walk In) preferred LG vs LP So that is what I supply I do have LP in stock the roll is probably 5 years old.... It just is not a fast mover for me...

Scott

Same here, actually we haven't stocked LP in 3/8 in a looong time.

I have a loop of LGX that I have worn out

and I never once noticed any heat or bar wear with it..I have about 5 new loops I will pay closer attention to them. But so far I love em. seem to hold an edge a bit longer.

How does it compare to Stihl?

Eric, Just wondering if you had any comparison of LGX vs Stihl RS/RSC in terms of stay-sharp ability?

Scott, EdgeandEngine{....99% of my customers (Walk In) preferred LG vs LP So that is what I supply I do have LP in stock the roll is probably 5 years old.... It just is not a fast mover for me...} Why do they prefer the LG over LP? The LP looks like a more agressive chain due to raker design.

....The LP looks like a more agressive chain due to raker design.

At least it is better for bore-cutting, because of the raker design, according to some very reliable sources - and it is a low-vibe chain.

Stihl RSC combines the design of the LG with the low-vibe chassis of the LP.

However, the LP has a tad less room for chip transport, because of the small ramps on the driver, that may make a difference on very long bars.......

The new chain sucks!!! It cuts good but won't stay on the gd bar! I threw the chain 4 times in one day bore cutting, that did it for me I promptly took the chain off and threw IT down through the woods!!! The problem is that screwed up rudder link, they need to go back to drive links. Unless the go back to drive links that will be the last oregon chain I buy.

That sounds more like a user issue than a problem with the chain.....

I hooked my neighbor up with some of the LGX and he loves it. He cuts wood, dirt, stumps and nails and it even cuts straight with his clapped out old bar.

Hes really tough on his equipment which makes him a good test mule for yours truly. I do all of his sharpening and hes getting better mileage with this chain than with his old LG.

That sounds more like a user issue than a problem with the chain.....

I hooked my neighbor up with some of the LGX and he loves it. He cuts wood, dirt, stumps and nails and it even cuts straight with his clapped out old bar.

Hes really tough on his equipment which makes him a good test mule for yours truly. I do all of his sharpening and hes getting better mileage with this chain than with his old LG.

Amen.

That sounds more like a user issue than a problem with the chain......

I have no complaints about the LGX, even though every second driver is a "paddle" one, but that is with a 16" on the PS5100S.

I can well imagine problems with a long bar, with oiling and keeping the crud out of the bar (between the rails) - so I think you might be wrong this time......:jawdrop:

I have no complaints about the LGX, even though every second driver is a "paddle" one, but that is with a 16" on the PS5100S.

I can well imagine problems with a long bar, with oiling and keeping the crud out of the bar (between the rails) - so I think you might be wrong this time......:jawdrop:

Oregon (claims) the new rudder sequence totally eliminated any problems.

I never noticed a problem on my 24" loops of LGX

I have a loop of JGX coming, on a 30" bar... maybe I will pay closer attention to it and see how it runs.

Hell, Ive been wrong before.....

I just cant see it repeatedly jumping off of the bar for any other reason. I also dont have many problems with buildup in the bar groove, could this be more related to the types of wood being cut? The sharpness of the chain and proper raker height (ie not making dust)?

I cut mostly hardwoods and prefer sharp chain and well ground rakers .030-.040.

Latest posts

Back