OSHA demands chaps in trees,portlandOR

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coydog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Our company just recieved a surprise OSHA inspection, among other things, they are demanding that we wear chaps when operating a chainsaw while climbing, despite anzi Z-133,which makes the distinction between working on the ground and aloft. This is in portland,OR . anybody else had similar experiences recently?

Originally posted by coydog
despite anzi Z-133,which makes the distinction between working on the ground and aloft.

Those boneheads. I'd ask them to demonstrate how to wear chaps on their chests.

i don't personally know the regulation #, I'll find out more in the days to come. I'm a foreman for this company, which is the most safety minded company i've ever worked for, we also recieved a citation for storing a gas can in the shop. OSHA did not care about ANSI, they supercede them, unless we can negotiate something through the appeals process, it will be company policy to climb with chaps.

I concur with Tom. If your company is a member of TCIA, give them a call.

I would also like to know how they are citing your company. They should be referring to ANSI Z133.1 –2000, if not, they need to have a specific reason why not.

I have just spent two days with OSHA Compliance Officers in New England trying to get them to understand our standard and why they should be using it. I can only assume that your citation was out of ignorance.

If you would like some assistance with this, please email me and we can discuss it further.

Thanks,

TMW

[email protected]

PS I have told some compliance officers about this and am trying to find a way to resolve this issue quickly.

I wore chaps while climbing awhile back... no biggie... and it kept my pants real clean, sawdust out of the climber pads and looked cool according to one of my client's teenage sons...
I'd like to see the stats on saw injuries below the belt while aloft... it makes sense that they would be way below ground injuries... you just don't operate a saw down by your legs that much when climbing... Show me that it makes my life significantly safer and I'll do it in a heartbeat... I remember Big Jon commenting on my using chaps... something to the effect that it was overkill... They weren't that inconvenient and I really liked how clean they kept my pants...

I've had discussions with arbos from UK and Europe where they have to wear leg protection whenever they use a saw. It is rare to have a chainsaw injury below the waist in the tree.

On first blush, this seems like an overzealous or misinformed inspector. I hope things work out for the company.

Tom

Chian saw pants

I climb all the time in chain saw pants cause iam i a cooler part of OZ and i dont like takeing things on an off all day.Boy it wears them out quickly thougth.Climbing in chaps would be DUMB.We have to have leg protection at all times when using a saw.

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
Government employees, for the most part, are morons who leech off of society under the guise of 'public servant'. Fact is, most are too stupid to make it in the private sector and put in their time at a gummint job mostly for the security of a job for life with great benifits and little chance of being fired no matter how inept they might be.
Some people are able to schmooze these morons in order to avoid difficulties which these idiots can easily create with a single piece of paper. Right and wrong mean nothing, the only important thing is making sure everyone locksteps in time and follows all the stupid rules mandated by other morons who have no working knowledge of the industries they regulate.

So find the right person in your office to sweet-talk the moron until he goes away, then you can go back to the business of running a business.

Ooooh, is my bitterness showing? :rolleyes:

Thats tellin it how it is
Right on Rocky

I wonder how much of this stereotyping of public employees could be leveled against "most" of the people who work for a living, either public or private?

Spending some time in a room of mirrors or echo canyon is humbling.

:)

Tom

Rocky, you and I have been down this road before...I suppose we will always disagree on the subject, but some days I can't just sit still and be pooped on, any more than you can, so I'll just say...you could not be more wrong. You too, xtreme.

:angry:

Now I feel better.

:angel:

Sorry bro,
Didnt mean to offend. But chainsaw chaps in the trees???
If I get cut anywhere it would be on my arms. In the trees I mean.
And I've been cut at 80 feet on my arm in the trees rapelled down in a hurry before I passed out and ran out of rope, had to wait while my bud tied on another rope and let me down. Other climber across the monster tree said "hey man he's leaking all over you." Again sorry bro.

Xtreme--I don't disagree with you about the saw chaps in-tree. It's just the attitude that public employees have a monopoly on idiocy and laziness that offends me. Thanks.

we climbers in the UK have had too wear protective trousers when climbing for years,and our regulations require us to wear alround protection ...very uncomfortable and hot at first but you soon get used to it..and nowadays i wouldn't consider ever using a saw without leg protection or boots with protection

We have to wear 'leg protection' at all times when using a chain saw. Many companies do not permit climbing in chaps, so climbers tend to wear pants or overalls with leg protection.

I understand problems with regulations being put in place, but most are as a resulst somebody (I believe usually many somebodys) having done something stupid or careless. Since you can't regulate stupidity, negligence or carelessness, you have to regulate safety for everyone. The problem with not wearing leg protection at all times, is that many climbers neglect to put chaps on when they return to the ground & use a chainsaw. It may be a PITA, but a fact of life today.

Latest posts

Back