OSHA demands chaps in trees,portlandOR

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Guess who makes the rules.

Originally posted by caretaker791
If you provide testimony for them ,,many times they will change their course of action because of it.
So you're saying, if you become part of the process you might make it better??? :jester: Radical concept; I hope people are listening. At the very least, that'd give them a right to complain.:blob2:

I got to meet the german version of OSHA here today. He watched me knock the top out of a linden.

I expressed a few of my safety concerns and safety practices that I found self defeating. It was nice to give my .02. Better than a spazfest online.

The inspector is in the green hat

I don't like steel being mandatory. I also don't like it being mandatory w/microcender. The complete metal circle makes a potential AR very difficult.

Nate--We use the same protocol in the FS, and the answer we have come up with to that AR problem is to pack a small set of bolt cutters in each team's rescue pack. I've tried them on an old 7/8 in. manila cable core and it worked fine, though not as clean as you'd like. They'd also handle any biner or screwlink you might use to attach the microcender to your harness, or the D ring, for that matter. Might be worth a thought, if only for peace of mind.

For Nate and Burnham,

Do you have to use steel core line and hard connections when you do takedowns or when you use a chain saw?

Nate,

I see two thick books on the table by the inspector. Are those the "OSHA rule books" ?

Tom

Originally posted by Nathan Wreyford

I don't like steel being mandatory. I also don't like it being mandatory w/microcender. The complete metal circle makes a potential AR very difficult.

So, what are you supposed to use around powerlines?

Interesting rules...

"Pole pruners, pole saws, and other similar tools shall be equipped with wood or nonmetallic poles. Actuating cord shall be of nonconducting material."

No ARS or Silky pole saws then

"Climbing Ropes shall be used when working aloft in trees. Climbing ropes shall have a minimum diameter of 1/2-inch and be a 3 or 4 strand first-grade manila with a nominal breaking strengh of 2385 pounds or its equivalent in strength and durability. Synthetic rope shall have a maximum elasticity of not more than 7 percent."

No Fly?

"The opening or height of the notch shall be approximately 2-1/2 inches for each foot in diameter of the tree."

No open faces?

today the new regs really hit me in the field. i've already decided that i can get used to the chaps, but until further notice we can't operate the chipper unless two workers are on the ground and in visual contact of one another, that being said I was assigned a removal and another afternoon job with one helper. We should have been rolling from the removal job by lunch, but when i hit the ground at 11:00 the back yard, the neighbors yard, and the front yard was one big brush pile.we didn't get out of there until 1:30, and were subsequently late to our second job, and made a long day out of what should have been a short one. This was a relatively small and easy removal too, it just doesn't really work to send a two man crew anymore if one of us can't chip the brush being sent down.

"...3 or 4 strand first-grade manila with a nominal breaking strengh of 2385 pounds or its equivalent in strength and durability. ..."

Where does this come from? I'll bet that there are only a handful of people on this forum who have ever in their career climbed on or even used natural fiber ropes. 2,385# How about coming out of caveman times?

I'm glad that I don't have to work in OR.

Tom

Originally posted by Tom Dunlap
"...3 or 4 strand first-grade manila with a nominal breaking strengh of 2385 pounds or its equivalent in strength and durability. ..."

Where does this come from?

It's out of the Oregon OSHA Rules For Tree and Shrub Services.

I was wrong...again. The inspector isn't a bonehead. He is just enforcing outdated rules.

Here's another gem. "Safety belts or tree-trimming saddle belts shall conform to ANSI A10.14-1975........or a saddle formed by a double bowline shall be worn to protect workers when working aloft."

Time for a change:blob2:

How would a sole proprietor with no employees respond to an inspector entering his jobsite?
JPS
Well John, here is my scenario.
"Hello sir!"
"You want what? I'm sorry but you seem to be confused. I am just an individual minding my own business."
"I'm sorry sir, I need to get back to work."
........*&$#!
"Sir, this is private property. I deny you any jurisdiction over myself or my property. Please leave immediately or I will call the sherriff."
*&#$!............*&^%#$%!...............*&$@&%$$^^$&&..........
'Sigh'," Sir, I would not hurt thee for the world but thou standest where I am about to fell this tree"-Waaaaaagh wauughhhhhhh rev, rev;)

There will be a time in the near future that Americans will be required to wear leg protection any time that a chain saw is used. Including in the trees.

I think so too. That or insurance companies will wise up and not pay for preventable chainsaw injuries.

Here, if you get cut due to the fact you had no chainsaw pants, you are on your own paying for medical and workers comp benefits.

To me it seems that overkill on chainsaw protection breeds complacency. Most workers I see here suit up and act like they are 100% protected, forgetting that they have a flesh eating machine in their hands. All the chainsaw gear in the world can't replace the most valuable piece of safety gear which is between your ears.

For Nate and Burnham,

Do you have to use steel core line and hard connections when you do takedowns or when you use a chain saw?

Nate,

I see two thick books on the table by the inspector. Are those the "OSHA rule books" ?

Tom

Here it is mandatory to use steel core and hard connections. The inspector allowed soft connections though he heavily frowned on them.

The rule books are pretty slim. The info is pretty straight forward.

Bolt cutters are a good idea on a rescue bag. I would just hate to have to ascend with them. Ascending (footlock) with 180-200ft of rope and a few redirects is already hard. I would hate to pack bolt cutters too. When accidents happen, biners get crossed, gates get blocked, or some what side loaded.

After making several rescues this week, I can say that it is much harder than it seems to those who have never done it. To those who have never practiced and say, "I would blah...", they are just like homeowners who claim they would have done it themselves but didn't have a rope.

BTW Burnham, we used live "victims":cool:

Chainsaw pants and chaps have been the law here for god knows how long. I think more widespread use of chainsaw pants by arborists in the US will be a good thing as it is here.

They take a little getting used to especially in summer but the eventually become part of your work uniform and the public slowly get to recognise your an arborist due to the pants you wear. (as well as being able to spot arborist from hacks and lawn cutters around town) You spot the hacks around town as they are the ones in jeans.

Oh if you have a wet dish towel fight you have nothing to fear.

Nte,

ARe the "patients" [I don't like to use the v-word :) ] belayed by a second rope or are there other procedures in place to prevent an accident?

Tom

Patients;) are required to come down on their own system. By that I mean the 2 were not seperated and the patient just pulled his/her own hitch. These were the instructors and obviously comfortable coming down on one system.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Back