OSHA demands chaps in trees,portlandOR

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My understanding is that OSHA doesn't regulate owner operators.. If you work for yourself thay have no jurisdiction...
Daniel

Amen! While many of OSHA's guidelines are sensible and prudent, bureaucratic regulation and freedom are in terrible conflict. Thank God that in the midst of the mudslide that the erosion of freedom in America has become, individuals can still tell OSHA to take a running jump.

Originally posted by ORclimber
Burnham, FWIW Here are the rules I would like to see changed.
ORC, I see all "Shalls" and no "Shoulds". The arrogance of the govt bureaucracy blows my mind:eek:. Other arms of it forced me underground or at least under their radar, long ago.

Neither an employer nor an employee shall I anymore be; power to you guys trying to make the system work!

A while ago the ANSI Z133 committee cleaned ub the soft language in the Z. Shoulds are not definitive. What do they mean? Instead of suggestions, the Z is a set of rules. If you want suggestions, read forums and make up your own rules. When the time comes to make a decision, the rule makers need a firm mark to measure from.

Tom

Originally posted by jmchristopher

The bigger issue, by far, seems like fear and loathing of OSHA bureaucrats.

Big brother wouldn't have to step in, except the fatality and injury statistics are so high for our industry.
Somebody mentioned letting us regulate our own industry with ANSI, but that hasn't worked, so here we go. OHSA has targeted us because we are simply so unsafe.

Perhaps Oregon OSHA could refer to and follow the Z.

IMO good safety rules are important. They can save lives.

They can get overzealous though.

As far as 2 guys on the chipper... Assuming the rule is meant to keep people from getting chipped, shouldn't this suffice...

The chipper operator shall not stick any body part into the feed wheels or drum. The operator shall not place any body part closer than 24" to the feed wheel or drum. The chipper operator shall use a push stick when manipulating material on a running chipper within 24" of the feed wheel or drum.

Originally posted by TimberMcPherson
Chainsaw pants and chaps have been the law here for god knows how long. I think more widespread use of chainsaw pants by arborists in the US will be a good thing as it is here.

They take a little getting used to especially in summer but the eventually become part of your work uniform and the public slowly get to recognise your an arborist due to the pants you wear. (as well as being able to spot arborist from hacks and lawn cutters around town) You spot the hacks around town as they are the ones in jeans.

Oh if you have a wet dish towel fight you have nothing to fear.

Ditto for Canada, though two climbers I worked with did not wear them. One was a dope smoking rebel, plain and simple, and the other was a hack in jeans as described above, who spiked everything and did not know any better. Yes pants are a PITA in summer, and it does occasionally get as hot in Ontario as south Florida; I recall one day wearing the darn things when the humidex was almost 115F. Someone in this forum some time ago also extolled their virtues after falling off a bike. I can not imagine however wearing chaps in a tree, they seem a lot bulkier and less flexible than a good pair of pants, not to mention I think they would get hung up on things. So help you if you cut your legs in Canada and the Labour dorks determine you were not wearing PPE ie pants; zero compensation. I would rather cover my butt in more ways than one.

Latest posts

Back