OT But has me stumped

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HadleyPA

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So my poulan pro weedwhacker with straightshaft I believe it's a 335. Will run great for about 10 minutes then loses power slowly and begins to bog and then finally dies. I haven't taken time to tear anything down yet just wandering if anyone might have any suggestions on where to look. I know it was never straight gassed as I am the only one to ever use it. It started this from the very first time I got it out this year, was fine last fall and after last use last fall I drained remaining gas and then fired and ran till out of gas. Mixed brand new gas this spring. Funny thing is it runs great for around 10 minutes and then you can damn near set your watch to it to start bogging and running out of power. Any ideas?

I'm thinking fuel starved too.
try loosening the fuel cap when it starts to fade.
check all the hoses and that punch bubble.
see if it looks like the bubble has fuel in it or going empty when this happens.

as for the ignition, be ready to pull the wire
and have something in hand and your routine ready to check for spark when the motor fades
before it has time to cool down.

edit: the gas cap could have a clogged or bad vent.

The above is good. Pull plugwire and ground it and check for spark immediately when it dies and is still hot. That will eliminate bad coil or not.

Go ahead and fuel line/carb kit/filter it. That's cheap.

And for grins, pull muffler and inspect for blockage. I am always suspicious of muffler blockages now. On anything.

Apart,. clean it well, air cooled, eliminate grunge=better cooling.

I had a Stihl trimmer doing exactly the same thing and it turned out to be a blocked screen in the carb. The strange thing was it ran OK for about 1/2 a tank then lost power. My reasoning was that if it was fuel it should show up straight away and I ended up wasting a heap of time swapping coils and all sorts of other bits.

First off let me say thanks for all the quick replies. I was hoping someone may have had this type of thing happen before also. I will start by checking muffler screen, fuel lines, and etc... easy things first then check for spark when hot as was said and will let everyone know what I find before tearing into carb. Only thing is it will be next week before I can do any of that as I have to load up the atv's tonite so we can head to camp for the long holiday weekend tomorrow and if the wife and kids see me messing with that tonite when I haven't really messed with it much to this point the only thing that weedwhacker is going to get used on is my hindside!

Latest posts

Back