Other equipment.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelofDarkness

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So everyone knows the importance of a quality chainsaw that can perform, but what other equipment do you guys run and what is it? Some other things I kind of don't care about quality as much and others are still important.

Weed wackers do not do a glamorous job. Nobody shows off their weed wacker to their buddies. I have a beat up McCulloch Titan 2500 I pulled out of a dumpster in 2001. It's nothing special but it starts every time I need it and it knocks down the weeds and crap in my yard and a few others. If I had a bigger yard or was using it commercially I would get a better unit with a straight shaft and less vibration.

I consider push mowers to be almost disposable, not so much a higher quality unit that is well made, but the MTD junk I find on the side of the road. I really never use them to mow real grass, I save a good Snapper or my nice Toro rider for that. I use the crappy push mowers for mowing down brush and small saplings, really abusing them. Sometimes I will get someone who wants an overgrown yard mowed and I will use a crappy push mower, I never know what hazards lie under all that grass and I would hate to bend the crankshaft on my Snapper. And if I ruin one MTD another will be waiting at the curb on trash day.

I do like a good leaf blower, one that is underpowered is too frustrating to use. Handhelds are good for little more than clearing off your driveway after you mow. I like backpacks and would spend money for a good one. The same for a hedge trimmer, a good one that is ergonomic and lightweight, using a hedge trimmer alot will give you Popeye arms.

A good riding mower can make mowing a pleasurable experience. I like my 18 HP/48" Toro hydro, good maneuverability and it cuts nice. I might get an old Craftsman to take baja-ing through the woods and to use similar to my junk push mowers.

You bend the crank on a mower engine, PM me. I will pay shipping and straighten them, like I did my free snapper self-propelled bagger mower. 300$ mower i got free. I pulled the motor and made a homemade dial indicator to check the maximum eccentric on the crank snout bend, marked location. Then I made a steel support block to cradle the crank at the case to avoid trashing the case and bearings. After that I used a steel sleeve to cover the crank, then took a two pound sledgehammer and spent about an hour lightly rapping the crank and checking with the rudimentary dial indicator until I couldnt see any eccentricity. I use that mower every year to mow my ditches, where the rider shouldnt go.

Really? Is it worth it for a cheapie mower? I find those cheap mowers all the time in the summer, which is why I kind of think of them as being disposable. When I bend a crank, it is usually bad enough to mess up the crank oil seal and damage the main bearing, at which point I'll just junk that engine.

Thats a judgement call. The first time I did it, I couldnt afford another mower. I tried it and it worked. You are right, it can trash bearings and seals before it gets shut down. So its not something I would recommend to anyone for a fix, but I love messing with engines so I dont care if I blow it up, any extra run time is free as opposed to buying a new mower.

I tend to get a surplus of those little vertical shaft Made in China Tec and Briggs motors, so its no big deal for me to swap one out, and frankly I would rather scrap out the aluminum. Most of the dead mowers I find wither have carb. problems or have been run out of oil. If I get one unsiezed I know it will have a pretty short life so I use it for the most abusive mowing jobs, like mowing over 1" saplings! Now that is jut plain fun! I have even ground serrated teeth onto a worn out mower blade! Just like I use either a beat up Super 2 or an equally beat up WildThing for abusive cutting jobs.

On weeds and grass a Stihl FS250 is unbeatable its light. powerful, minimum vibes, the power is wasted on a blade but with 2.4mm square line and the gaurds removed it works great, I had a contract to cut 300 gardens twice a month with mine very rare i ever had to work a friday! the first 2 cuts i walk forward and rake and bag, But after that its walk backwards all year:)
It makes a very efficient mulcher when done right!
The handles are the most un-ergonomic things I've ever seen though, I pull the throttle with my pinkie and next finger!

As for a ride on, Kubota STa30 compact 30hp as per my avatar

Hedge trimmers all suck some suck more than others but they are all arm killers!:cry:

My stuff is listed in my signature, plus:

- Snapper 28" rear engine rider
- freebie Craftsman 22" push mower
- freebie Ryobi trimmer
- bunch of hand tools, pruners, etc. from Corona, Sears, Home Depot

Anything with a real purpose in my garage will generally be Stihl.

I have a Homelite Bandit weedwhacker. It needed a new fuel line and fuel filter. The grumpy saw shop guy, who is no longer around wouldn't work on it so I got mad and bought some Stihl sized fuel hose and a filter from him. It was too big so I drilled a bigger hole in the tank, fit the hose to the new hole and JB Welded it in place. Other than a very tiny leak, it works great again.
I have a Sears mower that I hit a rock with, and I don't know what is wrong with it now, except it runs horribly with smoke and the blade seems to be off center. I plan to run it till it dies for good because it was almost new when I hit the rock...new place, tall grass, somebody had made a rock border all around the house. Maybe some Duck tape on it somewhere would help? Oh, it already has some holding the handle together.....:)

hey slowp, sounds like you have yourself a bent crankshaft, I've done a bunch of them myself. If you like the deck and it is in good shape you can just bolt another motor to it, if you really like the mower you can shop around for a good I/C Briggs or Honda, as long as the bolt pattern lines up you're good to go.

I have a Homelite Bandit weedwhacker. It needed a new fuel line and fuel filter. The grumpy saw shop guy, who is no longer around wouldn't work on it so I got mad and bought some Stihl sized fuel hose and a filter from him. It was too big so I drilled a bigger hole in the tank, fit the hose to the new hole and JB Welded it in place. Other than a very tiny leak, it works great again.
I have a Sears mower that I hit a rock with, and I don't know what is wrong with it now, except it runs horribly with smoke and the blade seems to be off center. I plan to run it till it dies for good because it was almost new when I hit the rock...new place, tall grass, somebody had made a rock border all around the house. Maybe some Duck tape on it somewhere would help? Oh, it already has some holding the handle together.....:)

Do any of them have barbie stickers?

I mow with either my Lawnboy 10550 or 10324. Both have the Duraforce engine, lots of power and torque. I also use one of them to mulch up and bag most of the leaves that come down, and that works pretty well. I like these mowers a lot and bought the 10550 when I figured out that the Duraforce was going to be taken off the market because of EPA regs.

My backpack blower is a Redmax EB7000 (maybe 7001?) that I run a lot each year to blow the leaves from part of my yard off into the woods. I like this a bunch, too.

My string trimmer is the Redmax 2400 (I forget the letters that indicate string trimmers). It is not their beefiest machine, but it is more than adequate for my needs. If it has set for a while I have to pull a few times to get it going, but once it's up I can decimate the weeds and trimming with a quickness. Other than the occasional cold start sluggishness, I like this, too.

I got a guy to order me a Dolmar 5100S; it should be in this week :clap:

I am just a homeowner, but I like the reliability and performance of near-pro or pro grade tools.

You can do pretty well with most high end homeowner equipment. I have always liked Echo trimmers and Stihl backpack blowers, both companies have good quality homeowner lines. I had a Ryobi 31cc trimmer once that was a real trooper, it just kept going and going. I used it semi-commercially on a few apartment complexes and it performed well. It finally "died" when I broke the throttle cable and I gave it to a friend.

Weed wackers do not do a glamorous job. Nobody shows off their weed wacker to their buddies. I have a beat up McCulloch Titan 2500 I pulled out of a dumpster in 2001. It's nothing special but it starts every time I need it and it knocks down the weeds and crap in my yard and a few others. If I had a bigger yard or was using it commercially I would get a better unit with a straight shaft and less vibration.

I do like a good leaf blower, one that is underpowered is too frustrating to use. Handhelds are good for little more than clearing off your driveway after you mow. I like backpacks and would spend money for a good one. The same for a hedge trimmer, a good one that is ergonomic and lightweight, using a hedge trimmer alot will give you Popeye arms.

Speak for yourself!!!! My Little Honda HHT31S is my pet toy, my pride and joy!!!:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

My hand held blower is one of the most useful tool around. It make life lot easier to blow dry the car after washing. No water stain. If you have hard water, you know what I mean. Everythings are just rinse and blow. Everything are clean except the blower........Who is going to blow the blower!!!!!

You guys keep complaining about heavyness.....Do some weights!!!!:lifter: :lifter:

Last edited:
Hedge trimmer extended reach

The same for a hedge trimmer, a good one that is ergonomic and lightweight, using a hedge trimmer alot will give you Popeye arms.

Try an extended reach hedge trimmer, like the Stihl HL. I love mine. Used to have a little Poulan hedge trimmer that took my arms off after an hour of use. Now I run the HL75K for 2-3 hours straight and have no problem.

Stihl's current model is called the HL100 since they went to the 4-mix motor, but otherwise is the same as my unit. If you get one, be sure to get the articulated cutter head. It's worth the extra $$.

Try an extended reach hedge trimmer, like the Stihl HL. I love mine. Used to have a little Poulan hedge trimmer that took my arms off after an hour of use. Now I run the HL75K for 2-3 hours straight and have no problem.

Stihl's current model is called the HL100 since they went to the 4-mix motor, but otherwise is the same as my unit. If you get one, be sure to get the articulated cutter head. It's worth the extra $$.

Can you control the extended hedge trimmer as good as the real hedge trimmer? I need a longer hedge trimmer than my Echo HC151 which is only 20". But it is a little silly to get a 30". So I am thinking about a multi tool that I can put a power broom also. My concern is whether I can make a nice straight cut on my hedge.

Latest posts

Back