Our Little Firewood Operation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustytools

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I to love to get out and cut wood. I have about 12-13 face cords cut, and can't wait to cut more. Enjoy the help of your son, I don't how much my two sons like it, because when dad says, "Boys, lets go cut wood", they scatter like quail. We don't sell much wood, but a man I work with needed some pecan wood so the boys got to make some money. It feels good to put in a good days work and make some extra money.

He looks like a fairly young man. Tell him for me that I said "Cudos" for doing a man's work at his age. :cheers:

Those are good looking piles of wood. Did you just pound those green stakes in to the ground? I thought of doing that, but wasn't sure if they would hold.

He looks like a fairly young man. Tell him for me that I said "Cudos" for doing a man's work at his age. :cheers:

Those are good looking piles of wood. Did you just pound those green stakes in to the ground? I thought of doing that, but wasn't sure if they would hold.

Yep, I just drove them in with the beater end of the maul. They seem to hold real well.:cheers:

Hello to you and your son.... Those are some nice stacks, looks like you got a good start for winter. I also have used those green fence posts, sometimes they bend a little, but do work... I like the way you have used a few trees to hold up an end also. My son also helps, but yours looks a little older, and I think that is great that you two get to do a little work together. Working wood will teach a young man lots about life, hard work pays off !!!!

ps tell your son those pics were a great idea !!!

Last edited:

Most people around here that sell wood and stack it use those fence posts. Most will tie a string 4ft high from post to post. It supports the posts and give you the 4x8 stack size. Good looking buy glad to see he enjoys working. Most kids today are at a loss when it comes to that.

Scott

Good for you

I think it shows you are a real good father when your son wants to spend time with you working. I like the third picture, I see you have a doghouse for the attack dog to protect all that nice wood.

I concur! Nice to see your boy out there with you. Mine is only 4. Although many times he is in the way, or makes more work for me, I enjoy it. It is important to spend the time with him as I know these are his formulative years and they learn by their environment. If I am on the couch drinking beer, and yelling at the wife, and kicking the dog, then he will probably grow up to do the same. If I am working hard with him by my side, he will learn this is how things get done. They don't just split themselves, the gutters don't just empty themselves, the lawn doesn't mow itself, the wax doesn't get on your truck's paint by itself, etc etc etc. Tell him you are proud of him and don't forget to thank him for the help even if he is in the way sometimes.

A man and his boy ought to be proud of their work. Make sure you tell him he did a good job and it was a good idea to go a step further and put up some pics. We sure appreciate them. Keep him working and learning and you'll be fine, he could get into it and blow the doors off the whole operation and end up with sheds like mine, makes a father proud, I know. Always make the extra effort and go a step further, it will add up tremendously throughout a lifetime.:chainsawguy:

I concur! Nice to see your boy out there with you. Mine is only 4. Although many times he is in the way, or makes more work for me, I enjoy it. It is important to spend the time with him as I know these are his formulative years and they learn by their environment. If I am on the couch drinking beer, and yelling at the wife, and kicking the dog, then he will probably grow up to do the same. If I am working hard with him by my side, he will learn this is how things get done. Tell him you are proud of him and don't forget to thank him for the help even if he is in the way sometimes.

+1. My little guy is often by my side. Sometimes making his own little piles of wood. Othertimes, he's playing with his trucks in the wood chips and saw dust. He likes to load up his Tonka dump truck and transport our wood waste to all corners of the dooryard. Consequently, there are little piles all over the place.:)

I have to be real careful when maul splitting if he's around since there's a real danger that a split piece could go flying and hit him in the temple or bash in his face. Especially for those pieces when you get the maul wedged into a round and complete the split by bashing the butt end of the maul on the splitting stump.

Yep, I just drove them in with the beater end of the maul. They seem to hold real well.:cheers:

Run a piece of wire from one to the other to keep them from spreading apart. Doesn't take much.

I use 14 gauge copper wire, myself, just because I found a thousand foot roll of it by the side of the road a couple of years ago. Sure has been handy around the place! :cheers:

I see the boy is wearing proper boots for working around wood. ;)

I put mine to work on the wood, too. They actually enjoy it, though it can be hard work.

dustytools, I also use those metal t-posts. I drive them into the ground till they're at 4'0" high from the top of the landscape timbers where I stack my wood. I don't regularily sell my firewood, but if I have extra, I will.

And as the others have mentioned, it's good to see your boy out helping you with the wood. Nice to see good work ethics installed in his young mind. Good on both of you!

Kevin

Run a piece of wire from one to the other to keep them from spreading apart. Doesn't take much.

I use 14 gauge copper wire, myself, just because I found a thousand foot roll of it by the side of the road a couple of years ago. Sure has been handy around the place! :cheers:

I see the boy is wearing proper boots for working around wood. ;)

I put mine to work on the wood, too. They actually enjoy it, though it can be hard work.

LOL, his mother had already called him in for his bath but I made him come back out and be a part of one of the pictures, I guess he was in too big of a hurry to slip his shoes back on.:cheers:

dustytools, I also use those metal t-posts. I drive them into the ground till they're at 4'0" high from the top of the landscape timbers where I stack my wood. I don't regularily sell my firewood, but if I have extra, I will.

And as the others have mentioned, it's good to see your boy out helping you with the wood. Nice to see good work ethics installed in his young mind. Good on both of you!

Kevin

I dont sell any of our wood either. Its too hard of work to be selling any of it.:cheers:

Most people around here that sell wood and stack it use those fence posts. Most will tie a string 4ft high from post to post. It supports the posts and give you the 4x8 stack size. Good looking buy glad to see he enjoys working. Most kids today are at a loss when it comes to that.

Scott
Thats what I use, steel fence posts to stack my wood. I bought a roll of electric fencing wire to string across the top, making a loop rather than just tying it off.
When it comes to taking that particle pile down, just pull the loop up the post and slide it off out of the way.
I was shocked last weekend when I went to get some more from the feedstore, those posts are now 8 bucks a piece!

You and your son can both be proud of all that firewood.I just had Daughters,no Sons andthey ask once in a while why we can't just buy oil to heat with,it's not that I can't buy it,I'm contrary and won't as long as my health holds out and I'm able.You can get rid and over a lot of frustrations buy doing hard work

You and your son can both be proud of all that firewood.I just had Daughters,no Sons andthey ask once in a while why we can't just buy oil to heat with,it's not that I can't buy it,I'm contrary and won't as long as my health holds out and I'm able.You can get rid and over a lot of frustrations buy doing hard work

I am in the same boat as you, just a daughter. She hates hauling firewood, the only thing that gets here going is the promise of a rootbeer float at Sonic on the way home. If it wasnt for that, I doubt that I could get her to carry a single stick of wood to the trailer.
I let her run the splitter controls for awhile, but after almost taking my arm off, I decided to wait until another youngen comes along, hopefully a boy this time.:clap:

Latest posts

Back