Outfit the new Dolamr 7900 with Bar & Chain Setups

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I will do that. Sounds like I would be better off to just fab one up. I would probably make it a bit too fancy though.:msp_thumbup:

I have ran different bars on my 7900, and I prefer the 24". It just has a really nice feel to it. I run a cheapo Oregon bar, and full comp chisel chain. I feel like Leather Face when I cut with it.... lol.

Today I was able to stop by a local dealer and check out the Total bars. They are nice. He had two 20" bars and he wanted $60.00 each for them. I thought this was a little high for these bars. The dealer is going to get me a price on 24" bars tomorrow. I have a feeling they will be priced through the roof. Does anyone have a line on better pricing on these bars?

I'm going to do some calling around tomorrow to dealers outside of the area and see what I can find. Thanks for the help!!

The place I got mine was $50 for a 24" and a 28" was $60. I won't be in the area for awhile though so I can't check with him and see if they're still the same price.

So today I ordered 2 brand new 24" Total Super Pro Sprocket tipped bars for my new Dolmar. They will probably be in tomorrow. Expensive was the key word but hopefully worth it. I also ordered 6 - 24" Woodland Pro (Carlton) 3/8", .050, 30RC chain. Also somewhat expensive but hopefully worth it.

Now I just need 2 cycle oil mix and bar oil. Do those of you who run the Dolmar's run the Dolmar mix and dolmar bar oil? I can get it and it really doesn't seem anymore expensive than the basic oils out there. Also, what type of fuel should I run in the saw? Premium? Mid-Grade, or Regular?

I will be building a box for this saw in the coming weeks.

I run stihl oil for the most part. I've got a quart of klotz to try out at home waiting on me to mix some up.

Good choice on the bar and chains. You won't regret that bar purchase one little bit. There are other good bars for sure but apart from maybe the GB Titaniums none are tougher.
I've sold a fair few Tsumuras to hardwood firewood cutters who abuse everything they own and they love them :cheers:

As far as the oil goes just run a good quality synthetic at 50:1 and don't get too anal about oil. All better known air cooled synthetics are good. As far as fuel goes I run 98RON Premium Unleaded (no ethanol) but only because it is a better quality formulation and in some conditions those few extra octane points can/could come in handy, particularly in a lean out scenario.

Last edited:
Great suggestions!! I believe I will just look at the 24" bar for now and larger in the future. I will try out the Full Comp chisel or semi chisel chain as well.

Yes, I believe the bars are old stock GB. If they aren't than I have a supplier up north that has old stock GB bars on the shelf for around the same price.

Yes, by all means try both chisel and semi-chisel. I mostly use chisel, but conditions do of course vary!

You may miss the 20" bar, but you can always add one later.......;)

Good choice on the bar and chains. You won't regret that bar purchase one little bit. There are other good bars for sure but apart from maybe the GB Titaniums none are tougher.
I've sold a fair few Tsumuras to hardwood firewood cutters who abuse everything they own and they love them

Ok, so help me understand this. I looked up the Total bars online. I believe they are imported by Tilton since that is the only web site I could find. The dealers order the Total bars from Tilton. It appears Tilton is owned by Blount. The dealer told me that Blount is owned by oregon. Total bars are or were Tsumuras at some point in time. Am I understanding this correctly?

Ok, so help me understand this. I looked up the Total bars online. I believe they are imported by Tilton since that is the only web site I could find. The dealers order the Total bars from Tilton. It appears Tilton is owned by Blount. The dealer told me that Blount is owned by oregon. Total bars are or were Tsumuras at some point in time. Am I understanding this correctly?

Umm, nope.

Blount are the parent company of Oregon, Windsor, Carlton and ICS.
In the US they make chain in the Oregon and Carlton plants, Windsor chain comes out of the Carlton plant and AFAIK they make their bars in their Canadian plant.
They also have a plants in Brazil and China.

Tilton is an independent importer/wholesaler.
They import/wholesale Jonsered for the US east coast and ATM private label Tsumura bars as 'Total Super Bars'.
In the past they have private labelled GB Pro Tops as Total II bars, MCW has some of these.

Tsumura is the brand name of Suehiro Seiko of Japan. The bars are made from Japanese SKS51 tool steel, a bloody hard and yet very durable steel designed primarily for blades and cutting tools.

I have a 'Carlton Premium Sprocket Tip' branded Tsumura bar (from before Carlton bars were rebadged Oregon ones) as well as several 'Tsumura Rotary Tip' branded bars.

They are things of beauty, if you are into industrial style art :D

Rick explained it very well above mate and he's right, if you want one of the best finished bars in the business look no further than the Jap made Tsumuras followed closely by the Jap made Sugiharas. Tougher than other pro brands? Maybe not, but certainly as good as basically any bar on the market. They take pride in their workmanship with all noses hand finished to match the bar body etc which I think gives them an edge, particularly if the same price as other bars...

I'm positive my Total Super Bars were ordered through Tilton. Does this mean these bars are the Japanese made Tsumura bars? Or are they something different?

If the tips are v shaped its a tsumura. It should be stamped on it where all the other numbers are.

I'm positive my Total Super Bars were ordered through Tilton. Does this mean these bars are the Japanese made Tsumura bars? Or are they something different?

This is the type of nose sprocket style you'd be looking for to ensure it's a Jap made Tsumura...

DSCF0599.jpg

DSCF0597.jpg

Thank you very much for all of the information you've all provided. It's made the decisions very easy to make. Thank you for the pictures and the pm's. You are a great bunch of people and I owe you one. I'll probably have more questions along the way.

I was raised cutting wood to heat our home. We use to run old McCulloch chainsaws and split everything by hand. I never gave much thought to what could have been regarding chainsaws, sharpening, chains, bars, etc. We just rolled with what we had and got the job done. I've come a long way and learned much just in the last couple of weeks. I look forward to my oncoming CAD.

You won't look forward to it because by the time you have CAD it's too late :) A very debilitating disease. You don't see it coming and apart from going broke there is no way to stop it!

Truth be told I already have this addiction when it comes to Wheel Horse garden tractors. I can't stop myself most of the time. I won't start to go into the amount I have vested into these tractors. That being said, I will probably get it even worse when it comes to CAD.

It's here!!!!! This is a very nice saw!!!! I will post some pics tomorrow morning. I'm only waiting on the chains now. I threw on the HD filter kit, one of the total bars, and read through the manual. Did I mention this is a very nice saw....lol

I have one question. The manual calls out the sprocket specs as:

Pitch/Driving element strength: 3/8 / .058

Every bit of info I had on this saw called out an .050 gauge. The new bar and chain that came with the saw are .050 gauge. Should one run .058 or .050 chain? Or does it matter? I'm going to measure the exact teeth width of the sprocket just to make sure it is .058.

Sprockets don't really have a gauge, only pitch. Match your chains to the bars you run, which it seems you have done with all .050 hardware... Seems like you are good to go, enjoy it!

Last edited:
Back