Outfit the new Dolamr 7900 with Bar & Chain Setups

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now let me get this straight, you've installed a HD filter kit yourself, broken a bolt, somehow blame Dolmar for you breaking the bolt and flogging a hole and now you're dirty with them for not giving you parts ?

Seriously ?

FWIW fasteners generally break from not being done up, or at least not tightened to the specified tension, it dramatically reduces fatigue life.
I'm guessing you haven't done it up properly, although there is the possibility it was done too tight (do you have a lb/in-Nm tension wrench ? They require 6Nm, not much)

LOL...."Done it Up"? You mean torqued to the proper specifications. Lets see here, 6nm is nothing, in fact you may as well leave it loose. Yes I installed it myself, I wouldn't pay a dealer to do it. For a homeowner like yourself I think you may need to pay someone. I did not break the screw, the screw broke during use of the cutting tool. I'm not sure you are qualified to know the " The Fatigue Life", or the point at which material will fracture. The core hardness and or case hardness of the screw in question will sustain a fairly large torque and/or elongation before a fracture occurs. So if I torqued the screw too much I would strip out the pot metal frame and crush the plastic housings before I might fracture the screw. I think MCW hit it on the head, "Faulty Screw" which in turn caused a fair amount of damage. And yes I expect Dolmar to stand behind their saw especially with so few hours on it. When you would like to talk torque let me know, I specialize in torque applications including product safety engineering considering human occupancy and use of product. When did the people (one person) on this forum become so critical and degrading of others?

Last edited:
LOL...."Done it Up"? You mean torqued to the proper specifications. Lets see here, 6nm is nothing, in fact you may as well leave it loose. Yes I installed it myself, I wouldn't pay a dealer to do it. For a homeowner like yourself I think you may need to pay someone. I did not break the screw, the screw broke during use of the cutting tool. I'm not sure you are qualified to know the " The Fatigue Life", or the point at which material will fracture. The core hardness and or case hardness of the screw in question will sustain a fairly large torque and/or elongation before a fracture occurs. So if I torqued the screw too much I would strip out the pot metal frame and crush the plastic housings before I might fracture the screw. I think MCW hit it on the head, "Faulty Screw" which in turn caused a fair amount of damage. And yes I expect Dolmar to stand behind their saw especially with so few hours on it. When you would like to talk torque let me know, I specialize in torque applications including product safety engineering considering human occupancy and use of product. When did the people (one person) on this forum become so critical and degrading of others?

It's a cap screw in tension holding a piece of plastic for gods sake, it's not holding a dynamic load or anything in shear so how on earth can it break "in use" ?

If it was indeed faulty and lets face it, anything is possible, I would've thought you'd feel the yield during installation (which is when it would've occurred)

As for the free character assessment, I'll let that pass :laugh: but re-read your original piece and 'listen' to how it comes across.

No manufacturer would give you warranty for what's happened, it's been self installed and they have no control over that.
Just Heli-coil the hole and install a new cap screw, problem solved.

I skimmed through this thread this morning. Didn't notice the date, but thought to myself people were being awfully nice and civil. Guess things have changed a lot the last few years. I mean nearly 6 pages and no name calling :(

I think MCW hit it on the head, "Faulty Screw" which in turn caused a fair amount of damage. And yes I expect Dolmar to stand behind their saw especially with so few hours on it. When you would like to talk torque let me know, I specialize in torque applications including product safety engineering considering human occupancy and use of product. When did the people (one person) on this forum become so critical and degrading of others?

Actually faulty screw was last on my list but no doubt a possibility.
I suppose the issue I've had plus Rick isn't so much what the hell happened, but the fact that you have expected Dolmar to fix it well out of warranty (warranty doesn't cover hours of use) and because you didn't get the response from Dolmar that you wanted you've decided to openly flame them.
If you knew Rick's background in regard to engineering and torque you may get a surprise. In this case I don't think you can really turn it into an argument about I know torque better than you know torque etc etc.
Knowing torque and actually applying it in a practical sense are completely different things. Unless you used a torque wrench when doing the bolt up then it's all theoretical.

I think Bow Extreme has a point,it shouldn't have broke.I also think he's screwed because he installed the kit himself .On a brand new piece of equipment let the dealer screw it up.If you think you're more competent than the dealer find another dealer.Learned this lesson myself,more than once,ego and all that.I just bought a new Dolmar fully knowing their crappy warranty and dealer support(at least in my distribution area,same as B_E)you can bet I'm not deviating from the manual,but I am working the p!ss out of it.

Last edited:
Installing the kit yourself won't void the warranty but trying to prove it's a component fault after a few years will be near impossible.

Back