Outside boilers...which brand

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tazz001

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
It's been a million years since I have been here but...

We have had a Central Boiler Classic model 40 for about 15 years...it has been great but alas, it's getting old and flaky and I am seriously worried about loosing my heating system due to leaks. I am starting to see moisture around the bottom of it...like ummm theres pinholes started. The firebox is dry.

Sooo...the question is...

Which brand of outside boiler is best...I did stop and look at my local dealers currnet Centrals that he has in stock...

I am looking for others input here...the good, bad and ugly. what works, what problems, warranty...it the new electronic controls great or not so user friendly??

I will probably just hook back up to my ancient poly tubing sheathed in insulation and stuffed thru Schedule 40 4 inch pipe...unless the new stuff is that much greater. I did see some and wasn't overly thrilled.

I second that!

My CB5036 has surpassed all expectations and heats my well insulated 4800 sq/ft home plus DHW easily. These units work best when it is coldest. All my friends have CBs as well, nothing but satisfaction. Good luck:agree2:

I did see in last weeks shopper the coupn for the $2600 off...I have to call my local dealer and see what kind of deal he will give me.

We have been happy with the ol 400 gallon model...you would not beleive the stuff we have burned in it...everything on the list of "don't burn" plus other non listed items. It has held up well.

I will be talking to the dealer soon. He is a "local boy" and he was just starting to sell OWB when we bought from him. I think he even brought a few folks over to look at our stove for a "demo" as he didn't have much $$ to keep any on the lot.

I have looked at a few other posts about folks and their CB and it looks like for the most parts folks are happy with them....I do like the idea of a 25 year warranty...I will have to look into what it actually covers tho.

I installed a tarm wood gasifacation boiler last year in a shed outside. So far I have burned 3 less cords than I did with my convetional wood boiler. I bought the tarm used, it is a 1987 but still in great shape. pressurized boilers help prevent the firebox from rusting out. Seriously look into gasifacation boilers such as Tarm and EKO

if i was to buy one it'd be a heatmor. limited lifetime on everything.

only lifetime warranty i know of on a CB is the door....only because it's cast iron, which doesn't warp, go figure :mad:

I installed a tarm wood gasifacation boiler last year in a shed outside. So far I have burned 3 less cords than I did with my convetional wood boiler. I bought the tarm used, it is a 1987 but still in great shape. pressurized boilers help prevent the firebox from rusting out. Seriously look into gasifacation boilers such as Tarm and EKO

I totally agree with this post. or you could get just the regular INDOOR wood boiler ( non gasification ) put it in a shed and then you would have a ASME stamped boiler that is way more efficient than an OWB and you will still save a few grand even if you have to buy the shed.

AHS also makes a great gasifier

Last edited:
I'm also really happy with my central but regarding replaceing your line, I got the good stuff, (about 10 bucks a foot if I remember) burried my line about 2feet down. There is a real clear dip in the snow from my house to the boiler. For two grand I really didn't expect to see that kinda heat loss. But regardless the stove has exceeded every expectation regarding performace.

I'm interested in the Tarm and Garm too. Sent you a PM

if i was to buy one it'd be a heatmor. limited lifetime on everything.

only lifetime warranty i know of on a CB is the door....only because it's cast iron, which doesn't warp, go figure :mad:

I initially seen the warranty and thought wow,thats great!Then I read the details of it,and decided what good is the lifetime warranty if its only 10% at yr 10? 10% off a new one is nothing.I feel if they were that confident,they'd offer more off a new one.The fact that its only 10% tells you its just a selling tool.If mine failed at yr 11,I wouldnt buy another heatmor! As would most ppl,so the warranty is useless. My first choice was a heatmor,that was the main dealbreaker for me,Shaver has a much better warranty. Warranty aside,the heatmor seems likes a great unit,I'd have one now,if they stepped up on the warranty.
Speaking of Shaver,I wouldnt buy one again unless it was 1/2 price.Id go with a central boiler if i was to do it again.

I totally agree with this post. or you could get just the regular INDOOR wood boiler ( non gasification ) put it in a shed and then you would have a ASME stamped boiler that is way more efficient than an OWB and you will still save a few grand even if you have to but the shed.

AHS also makes a great gasifier

I second the motion! Go with a gassifier and you'll go through less wood. I am extremely happy with my EKO purchase.

How do these gassifier boilers work? If I put one in a shed and use the logstor pipe to get the water to the house. Do I have to have a storage system in the house or can it go directly to a heat exchanger? I am lost when it comes to these.

I bought a Wood Doctor brand, this is my 5th season and no problems.. This one is all boiler plate vs stainless steel.

I second the Heatmor unit. I think the warranty could be better. I liked the simplicity of the unit. After speaking with dealer and several people that have them, Heatmor has taken care of different issues that most others would tell you sorry. I don't think you can go wrong. It's kinda like asking what is the best saw to buy in different areas. Alot of it depends on dealer support and such.

CB 5036 here and would do it again.
His parents bought the next size bigger after seeing our unit, and they have not bought any fuel oil yet this winter. Normal for them is / was 6 tanks of fuel oil a winter.

here is a few pics of my gasifier set-up. My tarm is connected to a 1500 gallon pressurized tank. I run the tarm full out for about 5 hours a day, then I run off of all of the stored heat in the tank. There is little to no smoke that comes out of the chimney because the boiler burns so efficent. In the summer time I can go about 2 weeks between fires. I am a cheapo so belive it or not this whole set-up cost me around $2000.00

How do these gassifier boilers work? If I put one in a shed and use the logstor pipe to get the water to the house. Do I have to have a storage system in the house or can it go directly to a heat exchanger? I am lost when it comes to these.

I know most gasifier require a storage tank. The gasifiers burn ALL their wood at once and then store the heat in the large holding tank.

The AHS Gasification boiler ( Wood Gun ) doe NOT require a storage and and works basically just like an OWB. the water gets up to temp and then shuts down until the water drops to a certain temp .

OR, you could go with just a indoor wood boiler. ( not a gasifier ) They are WAY cheaper than the OWBs and very efficient.

Central Boiler 5036

Third year for this thing. It uses a Taco pump every season. I am going to switch to something different (Bell & Gossett). The dealer said he buys 25-30 of these pumps (Taco) every year for "stock". He had 3 left a week ago.

I burn about 8-9 chords of wood to heat the house. More than I thought it would take. The insulated "PEX" looses a lot of heat to the ground. Snow is melted over the top of it all the way to the house. Snow melts off the top of the boiler in a couple of days. Big long icicles hanging off both sides. Not good.
This year it is starting to use water, Pex must be leaking underground. UGH!!

I bought the corn burner addon. I burned 340 bushels of corn last year (about). It takes a lot of babysitting to make it work.
Corn was so high I switched back to wood this year.
I would not do it again, I would go goethermal. My .02 Peace, MAD

Back