Over 1/2 cord split in 6 minutes with a Fiskars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't understand all the negativity. :(

Guy was just messing around and bustin some wood. He never claimed his wood was the hardest to bust or that he was the best woodbuster on AS.

Give the guy a break. All these what ifs. What if a frog had wings? Then he would'nt bump his rear everytime he jumped.:givebeer:

Anyone who wants to bust some real wood on the East coast, bust you up a load of Osage Orange (hedgeapple). :bang:

:agree2: The dude was just having some fun with his axe. We've all been there. Maybe at GTG's there should be splitting completion's so all the piss-matches could be laid to rest! :clap:

Unfortunately, there is a disconnect between the title of the thread and what transpired in the video. In my area, the term "splitting" means converting a whole round into numerous smaller pieces sized for use in a stove or fireplace. While I am not denigrating the effort that the OP put forth, he did not split 1/2 cord in the time indicated as he started with wood that had already been split multiple times and not with intact raw product.

he started with wood that had already been split multiple times

Unfortunately, there is a disconnect between the title of the thread and what transpired in the video. In my area, the term "splitting" means converting a whole round into numerous smaller pieces sized for use in a stove or fireplace. While I am not denigrating the effort that the OP put forth, he did not split 1/2 cord in the time indicated as he started with wood that had already been split multiple times and not with intact raw product.

This is a valid point. I did have to work with my current inventory and an ideal video would be to start in the woods. The first circle was mostly of rounds and that circle went much faster than the 2nd circle that didn't have any rounds, so the point is that ½ cord can easily be done in 6 minutes.

You are welcome to post a video of your version of splitting a half cord and then I may be willing to post another video matching your [starting point]. Just an idea.

I thought you did good, you did what you said you could, I bet you couldnt bust steel with that axe. Their are many different woods and variations so everyone will bring up something else. Good job you should do what you enjoy, and you should be proud the little one wants to help, the way kids are now, my three girls love to help me, you teach them some common sense and work ethic, which never hurt anyone.

Last edited:
Ideally you want to drop the tree, buck it up, clear the brush and start splitting the rounds right where they lay. From there the split pieces get loaded on the truck cart or wheelbarrow and are taken to their final resting place before the stove. The more you handle everything the more time gets wasted.

Very good post . . .

Ideally you want to drop the tree, buck it up, clear the brush and start splitting the rounds right where they lay. From there the split pieces get loaded on the truck cart or wheelbarrow and are taken to their final resting place before the stove. The more you handle everything the more time gets wasted.

This is the perfect argument for the rope and bungee. My brother and I will do 2 cord, cut, split and stacked in the trailer in the morning. Of coarse you don't need a tarp unless you are trying to keep things clean around the house. It is difficult to take a hydraulic splitter into the woods, especially when you are going light. Plus you can leave the knots in the woods!

Cool vid! I have seen processors that can push about 4 cords an hour but they are unbelievably expensive. You can use an old tire do help stand up the wood. Environmentally friendly and a little more durable than the bungee cord. Keep up the good work.

Nice job,,but screw that!!!

I did my time in my youth with a axe and maul and wedges...Fight stringy red oak and wack your way tru it...I'll stick with my TSC log spliter and go the lazy way.. :laugh:

low profile used 22" tires

Cool vid! I have seen processors that can push about 4 cords an hour but they are unbelievably expensive. You can use an old tire do help stand up the wood. Environmentally friendly and a little more durable than the bungee cord. Keep up the good work.

I had used old tires in the past, but got tired of hauling the tire around. After doing both, I think the bungee cord is easier. Both methods keep you out of the dirt and keep you from bending over all the time which is an improvement.

just because some of his wood was split does not mean he split less wood IMHO. he still split 1/2 a cord in 6 minutes wether they were rounds, 1/2 rounds, 1/4 rounds, or partially split. besides he said the full rounds were easier and went faster anyway.

Farmerdoug, you did good. you came on here and said i think i can do "X". got heckled for it, put up a vid showing you can indeed do it, still getting the business and you are handling it with dignity. rep sent!

I knew there were some real men on this forum

Sorry dude, splitting that balsa wood fast don't make you anymore of a man then anyone else. Praising that other softwood splitter don't make him anymore of a man either.

Bring that little ax over here to the midwest, and I'll give you some wood to split to really prove how much of a man you are. :hmm3grin2orange:

I have been to the PNW myself and seen your wood out there and I'll tell you what we do with pine trees around here. We use them for Christmas trees.

If they get cut down otherwise, they get thrown in a brush pile and burned.

No offense, nice little video, but it don't prove nothing to me.

nice exhibition. I'm going to put a tire on my cutting block tomorrow and do a few pieces at a time. i don't really wanna cut on the ground.

Sorry dude, splitting that balsa wood fast don't make you anymore of a man then anyone else. Praising that other softwood splitter don't make him anymore of a man either.

Bring that little ax over here to the midwest, and I'll give you some wood to split to really prove how much of a man you are. :hmm3grin2orange:

I have been to the PNW myself and seen your wood out there and I'll tell you what we do with pine trees around here. We use them for Christmas trees.

If they get cut down otherwise, they get thrown in a brush pile and burned.

No offense, nice little video, but it don't prove nothing to me.

Thats what happens to pine on the East side too Mark. :laugh:

If I took someone a load of Pine, looking to sell it, they would laugh me out of the driveway. Poplar too. People out here want Oak, Maple, Locust, Osage Orange, Cherry, etc.
There's just no market for soft wood out here. Too much good burning hardwoods out here to mess with the soft stuff.

I still don't want to take anything away from the OP. He did alot of swinging in 6 minutes. That would have been a workout for anyone.

Doug Fir is a conifer but its not pine, I don't recall pine easily going more than several feet of girth I see stumps almost ten feet across here. The density and weight of of the Doug Fir and Sitka Spruce makes it sound and structually superior to pine. Of course this all my opinion my Father in laws D17S Beechcraft Staggarwing has wings made of Sitka Spruce and its due to its strength to weight ratio not because its garbage Its been around the world a few times. Got third place at Reno in 1970 and flies 200 mph. They bury people in pine boxes they make Strativarius out of Sitka Spruce. Run what ya brung and make the best of what you got. Burn times and btu output are a bunch of Bee es facts there are too many variables to be accurate believe what you want. Span 60 or 70' foot w/ Pine or a Doug Fir laminated beam and the Fir will be half as big w/ equal strength and structural limits. Over and out from Land of the Giants all in good fun of course. How do I get pics to appear w/ posting? Oh you were talking about firewood.

Last edited:
When I lived in IL. for twenty years I burned corn stubble and milled hardwood. Just fill a 500 gal tank light it at one end on top and let it smolder for a few days or more just a hopper and chute to fill, no splittn no muss no fuss. Yea I made that up. But I have lived in IL. and TN. and remember well Oak ,Hickory and Mulberry as well as Walnut and a bunch of others So now I am blessed w/ handling styrofoam wood that does the same thing as All other wood it burns it sells it grows everywhere but ten times bigger. I have stated before up here Spruce firewood sells all day for $200.00 a cord. Birch fetches $300.00 and most sellers are pawning it off green so people cant even light it so BTU for that species doesn't mean squat. Maybe the cold gets to folks brains up here. Burn wood stay warm put the gas co. outta business.

Regarding real men in this forum . . .

I wasn't referring to myself regarding my statement of real men on this forum. I was admiring the posts from the member from Alaska that has posted some comments.

This Forum has taken me from pre-chainsaw to:
the MS361, which led to the
MS441, which led to a
7 ton trailer, which led to a
Kubota BX24, which finally ended up with a
Fiskars and 12+ cord a year for exercise

[a little extra wood for those who forgot or couldn't get any]. I try not to sell much because my day job pays much better, so I keep it fun along with some training time for my son.

Time with my son seems fruitless at times as he didn't seem too interested when I first started out with him. He would get excited about getting on the tractor and then I would look up and he would be out. My wife says that they need naps and don't work full 8 hour shifts till they get a little older:
KubotaMicah.jpg

KubotaMicah2.jpg

Back