Over-fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 268159

Here is a pick of my antique small "oak stove". I burn small fires with chunks. I cemented all the seams inside, and put gaskets around the doors. It has a bottom damper to get it going, and a top to keep it going. I have a 6" flue damper just above the exit. This stove still burns HOT if I don't watch it. I like to keep the magnetic therm (just above the pipe damper) between 400-500 deg. I had an older VT castings with a cat. Piece of junk. Hated it. No control, would always smolder or take off. On top of it, it would always backdraft on me. After the chimney fire (oops!) it went to the scrap yard!!! Good riddins! This one is easy to use, but I have to respect it. No long burn times, but I have a small house and the quick heat it produces are good for me. Anyway, go with what you are comfortable with. If 600 seems to hot for you, burn it lower. Dry wood is our friend. Check & clean your chimney often. Stay warm & safe.

View attachment 268159

Here is a pick of my antique small "oak stove". I burn small fires with chunks. I cemented all the seams inside, and put gaskets around the doors. It has a bottom damper to get it going, and a top to keep it going. I have a 6" flue damper just above the exit. This stove still burns HOT if I don't watch it. I like to keep the magnetic therm (just above the pipe damper) between 400-500 deg. I had an older VT castings with a cat. Piece of junk. Hated it. No control, would always smolder or take off. On top of it, it would always backdraft on me. After the chimney fire (oops!) it went to the scrap yard!!! Good riddins! This one is easy to use, but I have to respect it. No long burn times, but I have a small house and the quick heat it produces are good for me. Anyway, go with what you are comfortable with. If 600 seems to hot for you, burn it lower. Dry wood is our friend. Check & clean your chimney often. Stay warm & safe.

BB,
Great Point..
I am not recommending a Burning Temperature to anyone, just what works for me and my set up..
Cheers..

BB,
Great Point..
I am not recommending a Burning Temperature to anyone, just what works for me and my set up..
Cheers..

Totally agree. I think the temp gauges are set up with arbitrary scales anyway. I'd be willing to bet 2 identical ones could be a couple hundred off. Made in China?! Mine sits at 200 when idle. I only use it as a visual from the sofa. If it needs tending, good time for another beer!!!!

Remember: If you are cold, stoke it... if you are warm, leave it....if you are hot, choke it.

On my Napoleon I will overfire it if I bump one of the top pieces of "cement" like bricks with the wood. They won't fall back into place and it can scream along. I hate only having an input control.

Otherwise I have the fire going at at least 700 when burning half way open on the weekends to get house temp up. Usually end up with too many coals that way and then have to wait to burn them down before loading a the box for the night.

Totally agree. I think the temp gauges are set up with arbitrary scales anyway. I'd be willing to bet 2 identical ones could be a couple hundred off. Made in China?!

I have two Rutland brand magnetic thermometers on top of my stove (and a third on the pipe). One is a few years older, and smaller.... one newer and larger. I occaisionally shoot my stove with my IR thermometer, and find the older thermometer to read a little low, and the newer one reads a little high. They are a good hundred degrees apart. Generally, I keep an eye on the larger one since its easier to read at a glance. I wouldn't recommend anyone use these as a gospel, but they are ok to use as a guide.

Well I just started a different thread for other reason's, but it does show average temps on my stove using an infrared Blue Point temp gun. Might be worth checking out. I would say average high temp on my stove is probably 600 degrees at 3/4 throttle, and probably over 850 at full. Sorry my gun any goes so high.
http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/217824.htm

The reason I'm concerned with the higher temps is I forked over 2k for this stove 3 years ago and don't what to cook it prematurely, is't higher temps in cast stoves a cause for metal fatigue?

I had two temp sensors and an infered laser. Loaded up it would soar to 900 easy. You could see the warping ofd the steel. Keep in mind, the hot and cold vsettings are still for the old smoke dragons, not the erpa stoves.

I read a thread here a few years back about slowing down a runaway fire. someone said an old timer used to keep a couple of wet splits handy (soaking) to toss in the stove to slow it down.

Only problen I had with an over fire a while back was when i started a fire in a stone cold stove...too much good dry kindling and the stove was making creaking and groaning and then a loud BING ...I knew someting cracked. Ended up with a small crack in the back corner of the stove.

Last edited:
View attachment 268159

Thats not a wood stove! It's a wood powered time machine:rolleyes2:

My stove puts out some awsome long heat but It's doesn't win the show for looks.

Nice stove beerbelly!

Thats not a wood stove! It's a wood powered time machine:rolleyes2:

My stove puts out some awsome long heat but It's doesn't win the show for looks.

Nice stove beerbelly!

Now if I could only use it to go back and get the Power ball numbers! I could pay someone to heat my house for me while I sit on a beach in the Caribbean!!

Back