Over weight limit for bucket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axmeaquestion

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My boss put a guy who weighs 300lbs in our bucket while I was on vacation. I'm worried because the weight limit is 350 empty, with the liner and step and everything else it was way over. Do you think that it's safe or do you think that there could be some dangerous damage done by overloading it??

My boss put a guy who weighs 300lbs in our bucket while I was on vacation. I'm worried because the weight limit is 350 empty, with the liner and step and everything else it was way over. Do you think that it's safe or do you think that there could be some dangerous damage done by overloading it??

When was your last inspection? If it was over a year ago, I would call it a sign to remind you, but I do hear what you are saying.
Jeff

We haven't had it inspected yet this year. I actually called altec Friday to set up an appointment.

If you are worried that the boom cant handle 300 lbs and you think that would wreck something then why would you ever feel comfortable in it?
Remember there is a working load and break strength factored into all life support and lifting products. I know CMAA (crane manufacture association) regulates a 5:1 and for life support commonly a 10:1 is utilized. While you make have been over the working load certainly should not have been near any of these numbers.

I wouldn't worry about it. We had a guy 300lbs use our bucket and it never snapped the boom. Just let the inspectors know your concerns.

I had one of our's done last week, One of the pedestal bolts was loose. ,,bucket has 4 cracks ,,pump needs to be replaced,, decals,, yup, get a full inspection, really,,
Guess who gets to get all new bolt's for the pedestal bolt's,, can not just change one.
Jeff,,:surprised3:

I had one of our's done last week, One of the pedestal bolts was loose. ,,bucket has 4 cracks ,,pump needs to be replaced,, decals,, yup, get a full inspection, really,,
Guess who gets to get all new bolt's for the pedestal bolt's,, can not just change one.
If this makes you feel any better "bolts are cheap hospital bills are expensive. Funerals are worse." That is how I reason some things when I hate spending for them. Helps me feel a little better.

What lift are we talking about there?

If this makes you feel any better "bolts are cheap hospital bills are expensive. Funerals are worse." That is how I reason some things when I hate spending for them. Helps me feel a little better.
Yeah, had it done a couple of years ago to one of our other booms. Bolts are cheap, not the labor. Altec is doing that.
Jeff

I worked with a guy for 3 and a half years who fluctuated weight between 320 and 350. He never had an issue. I know I've been over 350 lbs between me and gear and a branch I've held over power lines.

Yikes how bad of a price is one of those.

Had a chipper battery die and lifted the fiberglass hood on a vermeer bc1000 and was hooking jumper cables. Another guy did something no one has ever done:rolleyes: and put the boom off the back of the truck and drove forward the bucket hit the chipper. $23,000 in repair.

Latest posts

Back