OWB chimney cap - Vacu-Stack or other?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

headleyj

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
ok, need a chimney cap for the OWB. ok not NEED but want. Want to keep the rain out.

I found this
http://www.chimneycaps.com/ICP_pages/products1.html

but I don't know if I should care about wind blowing down the chimney that much. If wind does blow down it, it'll stop once it's pressurized (if the door is closed of course) and no more wind comes down - BUT;

?'s
1. If cold air would blow down the chimney, it would provide fuel for the fire right?
2. So if you prevented that extra fuel for the fire, you may have slightly better burn times right?
3. Does a chimney cap impede the draft of the OWB? I'd think it would but I'm guessing it'd be a minimal reduction (I only have a 3' chimney on my Shaver 165 and recently put a double wall pipe over the factory steel chimney.)

Any suggestions or thoughts on the above is much appreciated.
Thanks!!

I put the one on that Central Boiler sells 4 years ago.The screen ffinally burned out but the cap is still good.Keeps the water out but I notice no other changes. Scott

Vacu-stack is the only way to go if for wind. It's tuned perfectly, when a gust hits, not a flicker of change in the fire. Original cap used to blow down about 1/2 liter of air causing a slight puff of smoke. Now, never. It has you covered for rain too. Mine paid for itself in one season.

Vacu-stack is the only way to go if for wind. It's tuned perfectly, when a gust hits, not a flicker of change in the fire. Original cap used to blow down about 1/2 liter of air causing a slight puff of smoke. Now, never. It has you covered for rain too. Mine paid for itself in one season.

from your description is sounds like you have an indoor fireplace correct? I can see the benefit on an indoor, just wonder if it's worth the $ for an OWB.

Quadra-Fire 3100 freestanding stove. The OWB still has normal air inputs. The v-stack is just as good at preventing blowdowns as much as it prevents "blowups" or drawing too much air thru the system. Its like a cruise control for your air flow. If I was a regulator, I'd require them on every installation - they are that good.

Quadra-Fire 3100 freestanding stove. The OWB still has normal air inputs. The v-stack is just as good at preventing blowdowns as much as it prevents "blowups" or drawing too much air thru the system. Its like a cruise control for your air flow. If I was a regulator, I'd require them on every installation - they are that good.

good to know man - thanks...gotta measure my ID tonight and see how quick I can get one - it's getting cold quick :)

from your description is sounds like you have an indoor fireplace correct? I can see the benefit on an indoor, just wonder if it's worth the $ for an OWB.

Their website did'nt show price, Do you know how much? Thanks

only thing i found good for caps on OWB was to make the roof a mess.......it will sweat on off cycle and drip black crap on the roof.......if you worried about the rain puttin' the fire it won't......

I used Super Vent chimney pipe so I also used their deluxe rain cap. I added some screening to act as a spark arrestor. I fired up the furnace two nights ago and it seems to be working fine so far.

only thing i found good for caps on OWB was to make the roof a mess.......it will sweat on off cycle and drip black crap on the roof.......if you worried about the rain puttin' the fire it won't......

yep,and dont buy the cheap ones from the big box stores...wont last a season.

Just like ghitch75 said; mine started to drip black crap onto my wood shed's new tin roof today.Took it off and will probably wait till spring to put it back on.

Latest posts

Back