OWB in shop or garage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwagler

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
HI - has anyone bought the Aqua therm unsheltered unit and put it in a shop or garage ? I was thinking of putting one in a lean to off of my garage, but my insurance company says it has to be a minimum of 20 feet from any combustible surfaces. I was going to build a non-combustible area for this to sit in.

Just curious if anyone has done anything like this.

I should have been clearer with my intentions. I have a 28 X 32 building, 2800 SF house and a 34 X 50 garage with a 13 X 50 upstairs in it that I was going to use the OWB to heat all of these with. I looked at an aqua therm on Saturday that was in a 30 X 40 building, and it heated that building to 67 with just the heat coming off the chimney ( single wall ). The guy then piped the water/anti freeze to his house and a mother in law apartment.

Even if I do the 20 foot away from the house or garage, I will build an enclosure big enough that I will be "indoors" when I load the stove.

As far as unsheltered vs sheltered, on Aqua therm units the building is about $ 1800 to 2000 on the unit I am looking at. I don't know if other companies sell a unit that you can build your own building around or not.

Check with your home owners! I put one in 2 years ago and it keeps his shop warm....he has not told his home owners ins yet....Hope nothing happens

I have an indoor multi fuel boiler in my detached garage. I prviously owned a OWB and I was going to put that inside the garage but, as stated earlier, my insurance company did not like that idea. SO, I sold it and got an indoor unit.

I really don't see the difference between the two, other than the indoor unit being ASME stamped and the looks. They both burn wood/ coal and heat the hot water. :confused:

HI - has anyone bought the Aqua therm unsheltered unit and put it in a shop or garage ? I was thinking of putting one in a lean to off of my garage, but my insurance company says it has to be a minimum of 20 feet from any combustible surfaces. I was going to build a non-combustible area for this to sit in.

Just curious if anyone has done anything like this.

You're thread caught my attention and I'm glad I checked it out because I know someone who did just what you described. He said he saved $1000 on the unsheltered vesion of the aqua therm. He built a shed around it for $4000 and it has room for five cords of wood on one side and a small work area on the other. I'm not sure on the exact size but from what it looks like its about 12 by 30 or so. It seems to work well for his setup and it looks nice too. I am in the market for an OWB and was impressed with the way he configured his. I like the idea of it being inside and would consider the same if I buy one.

Is there any way you can get some pictures of his set up ?

I"m also looking into indoor boilers -

Thanks

dave

Hey dave, the pics are not possible as he is a former employer of mine- he just recently quit from the place we work-wish I could though because it might give you some ideas. Sorry. I saw his setup when he took me and a few other guys to help him move some firewood he was selling.
He built a seperate building around the boiler with the boiler being in the middle -nothing fancy, 2x6 constuction, gravel floor. But I suppose you could build it to suit you're own specs. or desires. He just uses it to heat a approx. 1900sft house and hot water. The shed itself was divided into three sections across its width, with the smallest being the one around the boiler (in the middle). I think the reason it caught my eye was that I have never seen anyone conceal what some may consider a minor eyesore in its own self contained structure. It just stuck me as a good idea, because along with protection for you're boiler you have also built in an area to bring you're wood under cover -not to mention any other extra space you could end up with if you enlarge its design. In essence, it is just a nice shed dedicated to housing the boiler and its fuel. You can't really go wrong if you build it with you're needs in mind.
I have also talked to satisfied owners of indoor boilers and have concluded that when deciding between indoor and outdoor it comes down to circumstance. It is mostly dependent on how much and what kind of wood you want to cut, size of area to be heated, desired burn times and as you mentioned, imposed stipulations by you're insurance co. The list could go on.
I heat a 2000sft cape style with a indoor hot air wood furnace, full time. My only complaint is that it doesn't heat the hot water too. I'm looking into a outdoor boiler because I want to heat the house, portion of a 4000sft barn, small outbuilding, and later some greenhouses. Oh yeah, the hot water also. So the OWB's size to me would be important.
I hope this helps. Keep the questions coming.

Back