Owb install w/ question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruger402

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This is my Owb install I did myself over the last couple of months. When we bought the house it had electric baseboard everywere:bang:
IMG_3367.jpg

IMG_3366.jpg

IMG_3364.jpg

IMG_3363.jpg

IMG_3360.jpg

IMG_3359.jpg

Everything's working great! I installed hot water baseboard upstairs, and radiant in the floor downstairs. Wont ever have anything else!

The only problem I have is the chimney is dripping brown drops on my siding, and it also drips out of the bottom of the elbow. Is there any way to prevent this? I'm thinking I may have to run my chimney pipe strait up from my stove. This will keep most of the condensation running strait down the chimney, the stove has a track that handles this. The other issue is any condensation that gets carried out the top of the chimney and then drips off the chimney cap. It has been suggested to run insulated chimney pipe to keep the smoke hotter, and hopefully keep that from happening. I have not priced that option, im thinking this would be $1000+. More than I have to spend. Any help would be greatly appreceated.

Last edited:
The blue furnace is a Burhnam LP backup furnace. If you look closely at the gas feed pipe you will see the ball valve is turned OFF.:biggrinbounce2:

The goal will be too keep it that way all winter.
I also feed my water heater through the OWB, havent run out of hot water since.

That is quite the plumbing maze you got there. Where is the "ON" button...:cheers:

I would agree that insulated chimney pipe would help. Is that double wall or insulated running along the side of the house..? Burning seasoned, dry, wood will also reduce creosote build up, drips, etc.

If it were me I would run my single wall pipe with the crimp pointing toward the owb. That way the creosote that is made will stay in the chimney and run toward the boiler and not out the joint. From what I see your plumbing looks pretty good. Might want to insulate the led around the boiler to keep from losing some heat but everything looks good. Way to go .:clap::clap::clap:

thats a nice job for a DIY job for sure...

i do boilers for a living and belive me ive see way worse installs from

" licensed plumbers"

I agree you did a pretty nice job on the install. However I've heated with wood most of my life and if you don't absolutely hate keeping that chimney open and working I'll be amazed.

Like a cold beer on a hot summer day but in reverse, smoke will condense on the cooler surface of the chimney. That chimney looks like a creosote monster to me.

Thanks guys, its been quite a job that's for
r sure. you cant tell in the pics but my neighbors house is 15 feet to the left of the owb! That's why the tall chimney. And yes I did learn my lesson on the stove pipe, the 1st time I put the chimney up I put it with the crimp up, needless to say it came down and got flipped around with the crimp down. so I don't really get much running out of the main run of chimney, it mostly drips out of the elbow at the bottom of the main run, and I get some that drips of the rain cap at the top of the chimney. Also the pipe that makes the lateral run from my stove over to the main chimney run, i made sure I put the seam straight up and it actually runs out of the seam and down around the pipe.

It is single wall stove pipe.
I do plan on insulating the Pex runs going inside, honestly I got all the plumbing done, bled the air out and fired the system up. Checked it for leaks amd walked away! That was a couple of weeks ago and I have'nt done a thing but feed the stove since:laugh:

After spending every waking moment away from work for about 2 months on that install, it was time for some family time!

Is there any code in your area that dictates how close the boiler can be to your house or propane tank? With my luck, if I put it that close to the house my vinyl siding would buckle from the heat and the propane tank would leak and have a sudden blast-off....

I checked w everyone i could think of before the install,

1. Township
2. Company I lease propane tank from
3. Home owners ins.
4. Local code ins. company

Short of being able to call Obama himself, I think i'm covered!:hmm3grin2orange:

I was a little concerned about the stove pipe close to my house, so I made some blocks and wrapped them with white coil stock to space the antenna tower away from my siding.

Back