OWB pump life span

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Best I can recall, I have had this Grundfos pump mounted on my OWB for the past seven years pushing thru a 40' run to the house and back with but a single heat exchanger. Here in Minnesota it can run 8 months or so out of the year non-stop. Any input in regards to lifespan...? I should have a spare regardless, but curious what the life span of these has been.

pump.jpg

The same pump has been running on my OWB for 20 years. About a 120 foot total loop. 15 of those years was only seasonal 24/7 about 5 months out of the year. For the last five years, since i added the domestic hot water then the clothes dryer the Owb burns year round and pump also runs continuously. It was used when it was put on by my dad. So I would say life span is pretty good, I still keep a spare though. I’ll have to go find it now since I’ve talked about it it will quit soon.

I got 5 or 6 years years out of 1 I have for my floor heat. When with a Taco pump, was about $300 vs $500 for the Grunfos and the heating supply place said they are about the same quality.

Old one still works, but it was rumbling and the motor getting very hot (hot enough it cooked the pain off). Not sure what was wrong with it, the rebuild parts cost nearly as much as the whole unit.

I hate to admit this but I never even thought I should order one and just keep it on a shelf as a spare "just incase"...probably a smart idea. The pump on my Woodmaster has been going strong since 2006.

Do you guys just have a "cheap" pump on the shelf as a spare? Or the specific part for your boiler? Looks like my boiler uses a Taco 007 (just from searching the web, I need to go look to confirm) which is only $83 anyway so I guess its cheap enough if Im going to have a spare I should just get that same one.

I hate to admit this but I never even thought I should order one and just keep it on a shelf as a spare "just incase"...probably a smart idea. The pump on my Woodmaster has been going strong since 2006.

Do you guys just have a "cheap" pump on the shelf as a spare? Or the specific part for your boiler? Looks like my boiler uses a Taco 007 (just from searching the web, I need to go look to confirm) which is only $83 anyway so I guess its cheap enough if Im going to have a spare I should just get that same one.

This one runs $89 on Amazon, and the big box store in town usually has them as well. Marginal need for a spare but would certainly be handy were the pump to give out one evening.

Back